Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Maple Shade, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Big Earl is correct about needing to drive some before charging. Drove down the NJ Tpk from northern NJ this morning with Maple Shade as the trip destination. (85 miles, 70 MPH and temp was 50F). Picked the 6th charger from the left (still unnumbered) and had great success 271 MPH throttled to 113 MPH after 22 minutes. The location is great, very near the NJ Tpk and I 295. There is a Burger King and 7-11 if you don't like WaWA.
Who does not like Wawa?

@Big Earl is correct about needing to drive some before charging. Drove down the NJ Tpk from northern NJ this morning with Maple Shade as the trip destination. (85 miles, 70 MPH and temp was 50F). Picked the 6th charger from the left (still unnumbered) and had great success 271 MPH throttled to 113 MPH after 22 minutes. The location is great, very near the NJ Tpk and I 295. There is a Burger King and 7-11 if you don't like WaWA.

Kw would be more useful...

Way off. It can’t charge at all when cell temp is below freezing. Temperature has a big effect on charging speed. “Super cold temps” is, of course, a subjective term.

Did you find any numbers on this. I never did.

I don't know why tesla can't be transparent.

Should have a chart.
At 0F. It takes x amount of driving to heat battery to optimal charging temp. Or Y amount of minutes charging.

At 32F....

Etc.

Any ballpark would help.

Did you find any numbers on this. I never did.

I don't know why tesla can't be transparent.

Should have a chart.
At 0F. It takes x amount of driving to heat battery to optimal charging temp. Or Y amount of minutes charging.

At 32F....

Etc.

Any ballpark would help.

A chart would be very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have a CAN BUS scanner and have no way of compiling that information.

I can say that it takes about 30 minutes of preconditioning via app or navigating to supercharger for the battery to go from ~freezing to warm enough to get reasonable charging speeds of around 100 kW. Very rough numbers that are dependent on state of charge, temperature, travel speed (and wind), etc.

Reactions: Cuttin
CD65A961-62D5-4E50-8AC2-A18B0B422491.jpeg

Attachments

• E9E2E31E-24F9-4F33-9D44-E8BE0E94FB68.jpeg
    E9E2E31E-24F9-4F33-9D44-E8BE0E94FB68.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Informative
Got there with a warm battery about 30%. Peaked at 169kw which seems about right. One issue I had was the charger wouldn’t latch initially. I had to keep reinserting it and eventually it worked. Same thing happened the only other time I used a v3 charger (Ocean City MD). I wonder if there’s something different about the connector.

Best thing about v3 is if you have a warm battery and there’s a spot open you’ll get a nice fast charge. Don’t have to worry about sharing a charge with the car next to you.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Got there with a warm battery about 30%. Peaked at 169kw which seems about right. One issue I had was the charger wouldn’t latch initially. I had to keep reinserting it and eventually it worked. Same thing happened the only other time I used a v3 charger (Ocean City MD). I wonder if there’s something different about the connector.

Best thing about v3 is if you have a warm battery and there’s a spot open you’ll get a nice fast charge. Don’t have to worry about sharing a charge with the car next to you.

I've only used Fairfield, CT North and South sides...and had the same latching issue.

Reactions: neptunesfinest
I tell people on road trips. I need about 20-30mins.

The best would seem if there are plenty of easily accessible chargers. The smartest would be to charge 20min and move on as ur speed decreases. Problem is then ur left calculating and deciding about how far off hwy next chargers are. Etc.

FYI, it’s not free anymore. That was short, lol.

Anyway, I only got 137KW max starting at 16% with a 30 minute drive preconditioning to location. How long does the drive have to be to max out charge?View attachment 516859

It depends on outside temperature and travel speed. 137 kW is pretty good. The full 250 is kind of hard to get unless the weather is warm, even with battery conditioning.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
I tell people on road trips. I need about 20-30mins.

The best would seem if there are plenty of easily accessible chargers. The smartest would be to charge 20min and move on as ur speed decreases. Problem is then ur left calculating and deciding about how far off hwy next chargers are. Etc.

I generally do 150-175 miles and then stop for a piss and a charge. avg 15 minutes or so. enough time to plug in, wander around to find a bathroom, wander back and then just keep on going.

Deepest apologies if this question has already been asked/answered, but why don't the total number of stalls and the available number of stalls show up in the in-car navigation/app (e.g. 9 / 10 stalls available)?

I found the same phenomenon for the newly opened V3 site in Ocean City, MD...Is this an artifact of V3, or just a part of the extended commissioning process?

MS Supercharger.PNG

Deepest apologies if this question has already been asked/answered, but why don't the total number of stalls and the available number of stalls show up in the in-car navigation/app (e.g. 9 / 10 stalls available)?

I found the same phenomenon for the newly opened V3 site in Ocean City, MD...Is this an artifact of V3, or just a part of the extended commissioning process?

View attachment 517902

Probably because that information isn't available for some reason. Perhaps a reporting issue between the station and the mothership.

• Informative