Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Marin City, CA - Donahue Street (LIVE 3 Sep 2020, 16 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A permit application was filed with Marin County on March 1, 2018 for what is now confirmed to be Tesla superchargers at the Marin Gateway Shopping Center in Marin City. Here is the current status from user mociaf9:

It's still live and in planning review. Most recent activity was in November 2018. It's to install 12 urban-style supercharger stations (with potential future expansion of 4 additional stations) at the Marin Gateway Shopping Center (190 Donahue St.). It looks like the long hold up might be that the project was to install 18 EVCS, but they may have had to reduce the number and resubmit due to the center already being under the generally required number of parking stations.
Marin Gateway Garp LLC Master Plan Amendment (P2155) - County of Marin

190 Donahue Street, Sausalito CA 94965

Wow! Only 9 miles apart. I guess the Livermore / Dublin / San Ramon superchargers are closer than that. The East Bay still only has one and it's out of the way for everyone but me and my neighbors.

-Randy
So it looks like Marin County is going from zero Superchargers to potentially 3 (Corte Madera, Marin City and San Rafael) in the span of a year? Wow is right!

Moderator note: four posts in this thread discussing where the future San Rafael Supercharger might be located have been moved to — wait for it — the existing thread about the future San Rafael Supercharger at
Supercharger - San Rafael (permit not found, location speculation)

I trust no one is surprised by this heavy handed action by the moderator...

As of February 7th, it looks like we are back up to 18 new EV stations.... someone might want to update the details on the map.
https://www.marincounty.org/-/media...u/marin-gatewayllcnotice-and-referral2719.pdf

It also looks like the project was kicked back a couple times for more info, but was "deemed complete on February 7, 2019."
https://www.marincounty.org/-/media...5_combined-pc-staff-report-and-reso.pdf?la=en

The hearing on the parking space modifications is this Monday, 3/25/2019.

I hope these aren't urban Superchargers. We don't have a single high-power SC in all of Marin County. I'm not asking for V3 (well, maybe....) but at least I hope they don't put in yet another urban SC. The one in Corte Madera is always maxxed out. (I charge at home exclusively, but want to see the SC infrastructure continue to grow.)

The public comment period has passed, but the hearing hasn't happened yet... planner's email is [email protected] in case you want to drop a line of support for this project.

Yes, that's why I said in my post: "The hearing on the parking space modifications is this Monday, 3/25/2019."

I wonder how we can figure out if this is still an urban SC or a full SC?
Your comment showed up after I had already started writing mine (though it was short, it took me a while to find a working link to the appropriate meeting agenda) and I didn't end up seeing yours until after I had already submitted. Hence, the edit.

As for the installation... From the limited site plans I saw, and based on the Supercharger Cabinet part number listed, it was for urban stalls. Which, given the location and the number of stalls they are eventually planning to put in, makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Good news! I just watched the video of the planning commission meeting today and they approved the modification of spaces and are sending that to the board of supervisors to approve.

This IS good news. Glad to see a second SuC progressing in Marin. We have been high and dry for a long time. I do have to say, that the urban charger at the Village at Corte Madera is good. I charged there today. At 25% SOC I ramped up to 74kwh. But stayed there up into the 60% range.

Reactions: goldengate
Just watched the video of the Board of Supervisors meeting from yesterday, and the board APPROVED the parking modifications to allow for a SC at the Marin City shopping center. Great news! It was also nice to see that it was enthusiastically approved:
Video can be viewed here:
http://marin.granicus.com/player/clip/9486?view_id=33

Discussion begins at 1 hour 6 minute mark.

Hoping this is not another urban SC but a full V2 or even V3....

The approval of the Marin City Supercharger is covered in today's Marin IJ along with plans for a 24-station charging facility at 1600 Los Gamos Drive in San Rafael. However the article does not differentiate between Tesla and Plugshare / Chargepoint chargers so it is premature to say this is the location of the planned San Rafael supercharger. I have reached out to county personnel for clarification.
Here is the article:
https://www.marinij.com/2019/04/21/marin-city-center-to-add-electric-vehicle-chargers/

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Troy916
The approval of the Marin City Supercharger is covered in today's Marin IJ along with plans for a 24-station charging facility at 1600 Los Gamos Drive in San Rafael. However the article does not differentiate between Tesla and Plugshare / Chargepoint chargers so it is premature to say this is the location of the planned San Rafael supercharger. I have reached out to county personnel for clarification.
Here is the article:
https://www.marinij.com/2019/04/21/marin-city-center-to-add-electric-vehicle-chargers/
Does not appear to be a likely location for a supercharger.

Reactions: mociaf9
Stopped by recently and it looks like there’s a bit of construction going on. I can’t tell for sure if they’re installing the chargers or not since the equipment hasn’t been unwrapped yet. It looks like they’re installing (I’m guessing) a lot of conduit and mounts for the superchargers (or drainage if it’s not the superchargers). It’s kinda in the middle between where Longs and the old Starbucks was located if people want to check it out.

Stopped by recently and it looks like there’s a bit of construction going on. I can’t tell for sure if they’re installing the chargers or not since the equipment hasn’t been unwrapped yet. It looks like they’re installing (I’m guessing) a lot of conduit and mounts for the superchargers (or drainage if it’s not the superchargers). It’s kinda in the middle between where Longs and the old Starbucks was located if people want to check it out.
Well if you take pictures and post them, people here can figure out what's going on :)

Looks like 3/4 of the chargers are installed. Can’t tell if those large boxes are for the chargers or a Powerpack.

Attachments

• 7DBAD0F4-8BC9-492D-A30B-42F730895D87.jpeg
    7DBAD0F4-8BC9-492D-A30B-42F730895D87.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 244