Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Maroochydore, Qld

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LGGD

May 29, 2014
Gold Coast
upload_2018-11-17_21-6-21.jpeg
Apparently there is a 6 bay Supercharger opening soon in a new section of Sunshine Plaza on the Sunshine Coast.

What do we know about the attached image ? Do we know if that photograph was taken on the Sunshine Coast ? Google's image search best guess is 'floor', not very helpful.
This all seems very unlikely since the official time line is Gympie before 1st December 2018 (i.e. sometime in Spring 2018), Gold Coast 2019, Toowoomba 2019 (no mention of Sunshine Coast).

Edit: I suppose this could be instead of Gympie, that would make sense since it is a long way from the current most northerly SuperCharger in Fortitude Valley Brisbane to Gympie (165km) but Sunshine Plaza is just 103km and Tesla are running out of time to get Gympie up and running before Summer 2018. That would suite me just fine. If that were the case I just hope these have been placed where they are unlikely to be ICED (the last week of Christmas shopping 2018 would be a good test).

Last edited:
One other thought: If Maroochydore was the site for the next most northerly SuperCharger that would probably make possible a Gold Coast (not in yet) to Maroochydore SuperCharger trip via the Gateway Motorway without having to go to Brisbane for a charge at what are already mostly occupied SuperChargers (there are 4 of them but only 2 are accessible outside business hours).

Unless I hear from someone who has visited the Sunshine Plaza and confirms or denies the existence of these SuperChargers I plan on paying the site a visit on Wednesday to check this out.

Thank you LGGD.

Last edited:
The photo was provided to me by a Sunshine Coast based owner who played a role in making this location happen.

I understand (as mentioned above) that Gympie is unrelated and is happening too.

This is clearly not a transit related location (given it’s distance from any of the relevant highways). It is designed to service visitors to the Sunshine Coast.

I expect an installation at a similar type location on the Gold Coast soon given the much higher visitation the Gold Coast attracts and the even greater dearth of Tesla provided charging options on the Gold Coast.

If you plan on swinging by @dogphlap I understand that this location is accessed via Amaroo Street. I look forward to any updates or additional photos you can provide.

Reactions: MarcoRP
IMG_20181119_104109.jpg
OK, I checked this out this morning and just as LGGD indicated there is a row of SuperChargers (at least they sure look like SuperChargers rather than destination chargers) on the ground floor, row 1 of the multistorey car park at the end of Amaroo Street, Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore Qld.
These are not operational but maybe in a few days they could be (they were being worked on when I was there). They look to be in a prime spot for internal combustion vehicles to park being on the ground floor and close to a main entrance to the shops (I feel bad writing that, perhaps I underestimate our fellow road users).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LGGD
OK, I checked this out this morning and just as LGGD indicated there is a row of SuperChargers (at least they sure look like SuperChargers rather than destination chargers) on the ground floor, row 1 of the multistorey car park at the end of Amaroo Street, Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore Qld.
These are not operational but maybe in a few days they could be (they were being worked on when I was there). They look to be in a prime spot for internal combustion vehicles to park being on the ground floor and close to a main entrance to the shops (I feel bad writing that, perhaps I underestimate our fellow road users).

Thanks for checking and posting. How many connectors did you see? The photo you posted seems to be the same two that are in the photo I posted. Did you see more than those two?

Also, is the car park they are in open or is it still not available to park in?

I'm pretty excited about this one.

Port Macquarie to Maroochydore is my most frequented long trip. Only real nice addition for the journey would be something to allow using the gateway rather than going in to to Brisbane. Gold Coast and/or Gateway south interchange. Bring on the model 3.

Yes, Brisbane - Fortitude Valley is poorly located for actual long distance travel if you are just going past Brisbane.

At the moment, on such trips, I use the Queensland Electric Superhighway at Hamilton, it’s not far off the Gateway Motorway.

My understanding is that there was supposed to be Tesla Superchargers co-located there but that the current Hamilton site is temporary and Tesla wanted the permanent location. Not sure how much of that is true or is still the case.

One thing is for sure and that is that the Brisbane - Fortitude Valley Supercharger is not suitable medium/long term as the only site in the Brisbane area.

• Informative
Reactions: alexeiw123
At the moment, on such trips, I use the Queensland Electric Superhighway at Hamilton, it’s not far off the Gateway Motorway.

Good advice, which leads to a slightly off topic thought. I wonder if tesla will add public CCS locations to the map/navigation once the 3 is out with a CCS port?

One thing is for sure and that is that the Brisbane - Fortitude Valley Supercharger is not suitable medium/long term as the only site in the Brisbane area.

Yeah, I went there to see the model 3 and it is not quick to get in to due to traffic and location.