Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Marquette, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you actually do travel the speed limit (isn't it like 55 most of the way?), your efficiency is going to be phenomenal. I'm sure they took this into account when choosing Marquette for this location.
They’ve increased the speed limit to 65 on several UP highways. From the bridge to Marquette it’s 65 on most areas of N-123 and 28-West. The supercharger location choices they’ve made (Marquette, Escanaba, Soo) are excellent. I think Houghton and/or Ironwood would be useful additions.

Attachments

• 43FFAEEC-4AE2-45B7-9BA1-4E7B054C93D6.jpeg
    43FFAEEC-4AE2-45B7-9BA1-4E7B054C93D6.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 81
If you actually do travel the speed limit (isn't it like 55 most of the way?), your efficiency is going to be phenomenal. I'm sure they took this into account when choosing Marquette for this location.

They’ve increased the speed limit to 65 on several UP highways. From the bridge to Marquette it’s 65 on most areas of N-123 and 28-West. The supercharger location choices they’ve made (Marquette, Escanaba, Soo) are excellent. I think Houghton and/or Ironwood would be useful additions.

Great that Tesla is making some progress in the UP! But let's not give them too much credit for architecting the specific locations - correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, Tesla made a deal with Meijer and is now installing superchargers at the only 3 Meijer locations in the UP... :)

Great that Tesla is making some progress in the UP! But let's not give them too much credit for architecting the specific locations - correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, Tesla made a deal with Meijer and is now installing superchargers at the only 3 Meijer locations in the UP... :)
That’s true. I guess it’s a shared credit with Meijer. I haven’t given up hope that additional, non-Meijer, superchargers will appear in the UP, but I certainly haven’t heard anything.

Progress is definitely being made. Talked to 2 nice gentleman from Alabama who go all over the country installing superchargers. Contrary to what was said earlier, this is an 8 stall supercharger. Unknown if it’s V2 (150KW) or V3 (250KW).

They have a lot of conduit and digging done but are now being delayed waiting for the electrical hardware. Once the necessary hardware arrives, things will move quickly but there could still be delays for inspections and final power on.

Sounds like Sault Ste Marie is next then Escanaba. Enjoy the photo and I’ll update again soon.
FB55AAAB-882C-414A-9275-39AFA0425D27.jpeg

Contrary to what was said earlier, this is an 8 stall supercharger. Unknown if it’s V2 (150KW) or V3 (250KW)

Nice update - 8 stalls makes more sense. All of the V3 installations so far in the U.S. and Canada have had at least 2 cabinets (with each cabinet supporting up to 4 stalls), presumably for redundancy (though some 2-cabinet installations have only 6 total stalls). And this will almost certainly be a V3 installation - Tesla has done very few V2 installations recently at all, with the 1-2 exceptions being oddball locations.

Reactions: tesrella
Nice update - 8 stalls makes more sense. All of the V3 installations so far in the U.S. and Canada have had at least 2 cabinets (with each cabinet supporting up to 4 stalls), presumably for redundancy (though some 2-cabinet installations have only 6 total stalls). And this will almost certainly be a V3 installation - Tesla has done very few V2 installations recently at all, with the 1-2 exceptions being oddball locations.
I would think that this will be V3 also. The guys didn’t know because this supercharger has been planned for so long. They still have blueprints for a V2 but it sounded like the plans are being updated.

Progress is definitely being made. Talked to 2 nice gentleman from Alabama who go all over the country installing superchargers. Contrary to what was said earlier, this is an 8 stall supercharger. Unknown if it’s V2 (150KW) or V3 (250KW).
I didn't want to say "they're full of crap" at first, but I haven't been seeing a 4 stall supercharger installed in any locations in the US for quite a while, so I doubt it's any less than 8.
They have a lot of conduit and digging done but are now being delayed waiting for the electrical hardware. Once the necessary hardware arrives, things will move quickly but there could still be delays for inspections and final power on.
Inspections in COVID times might take a while, we'll see. Hoping for soon. As soon as it opens I'm booking it up there from Ann Arbor! Definitely keep us posted... Did you ask if this is one of those pedestals-already-in-the-concrete-on-arrival installations?
Sounds like Sault Ste Marie is next then Escanaba. Enjoy the photo and I’ll update again soon.
Strange that they'd prioritize SSM when it's so close to the one across the border... Esky is so lonely!
Love the pics, keep em coming! Love to see them!

Last edited:
Did you ask if this is one of those pedestals-already-in-the-concrete-on-arrival installations?
It's definitely not. The recently posted picture shows the equipment area with the conduit serving 2 V3 supercharger cabinets which will be mounted on a pad there.. The fully pre-fab supercharger set ups don't do it like that, for them the supercharger cabinet is next to the 4 stalls and the equipment pad would only have the switchgear (i.e. distribution equipment) and utility transformer.

It's definitely not. The recently posted picture shows the equipment area with the conduit serving 2 V3 supercharger cabinets which will be mounted on a pad there.. The fully pre-fab supercharger set ups don't do it like that, for them the supercharger cabinet is next to the 4 stalls and the equipment pad would only have the switchgear (i.e. distribution equipment) and utility transformer.
Cool, thanks for the insight!

The conduit stubs that have been installed so far are indicative of a V3 site.
Thanks for the insight! I don't have enough knowledge to notice such things.

Agreed. From chatting with them, its not pre-fab. They were talking about pouring the concrete pads soon and that they were waiting for individual pieces of supercharging equipment.

Strange that they'd prioritize SSM when it's so close to the one across the border... Esky is so lonely!
I thought the same thing but I think it might have something to do with how Tesla provides equipment. If they get held up in Marquette, they said they might start the prep work in Esky (almost like Esky is a second part to the Marquette project thus making SSM the "next" in queue).

Reactions: Calimenti
Based on what you've seen with other V3 installs, barring any delays, how quickly should this project be completed?

Update - Friday, May 7, 2021:

Not much has changed, unfortunately. No one was there when I stopped by so I couldn’t ask about progress.

The only thing really “new” is that some equipment from Tesla has arrived (see right of photo). Maybe someone has ideas about what this equipment could be.

I’ll report back on progress again next week.

View attachment 660332
Thanks very much for the picture update!!!
If you're still nearby, I'd sneak a photo of those white labels on the equipment so we can know exactly what it is (unless somebody else knows already)

Update - Friday, May 7, 2021:

Not much has changed, unfortunately. No one was there when I stopped by so I couldn’t ask about progress.

The only thing really “new” is that some equipment from Tesla has arrived (see right of photo). Maybe someone has ideas about what this equipment could be.

I’ll report back on progress again next week.
A relatively small box from Tesla like that could be the pedestals.