Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Martinsburg, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's real! 8 stalls one of which one is a pull in. No transformer yet.
Sorry about the out of focus. I had autofocus turned off and did not realize it.
@BlueShift

20170818_104557.jpg 20170818_104918.jpg 20170818_104829.jpg 20170818_104553_001.jpg 20170818_104557.jpg 20170818_104915.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this on the PlugIn Sites notifications and came to see if it had been posted here yet... so, how come it's not listed at all on the Tesla coming soon map?! I mean, how does it not get on the map? :confused:

A really good question. And since it is so close to Hagerstown (19 miles 21 mins) what does that mean for the long term of that location?
Personally I think it kinda goes against what I thought was the general plan for supercharger buildout but I'm not complaining since it about 15 miles from my house!:)
I wonder if this means we can look forward to other close builds. Maybe Frederick?

Last edited:
A really good question. And since it is so close to Hagerstown (19 miles 21 mins) what does that mean for the long term of that location?
Personally I think it kinda goes against what I thought was the general plan for supercharger buildout but I'm not complaining since it about 15 miles from my house!:)
I wonder if this means we can look forward to other close builds. Maybe Frederick?
Exactly, I couldn't believe it when I saw it was so close to Hagerstown (I had to check the scale on the map...).

The build-out plan does put one in Fairfax and one in Tysons (a real one), etc. But this is really weird when it was never on the map....

Kind of odd.. supercharger cabinets are in, power distribution cabinets are in, transformer pad identified but there are four more conduits coming out of the ground next to the power distribution cabinet. anybody got an idea what those might be for? Maybe a Tesla energy battery storage unit? See attached pics.

20170819_144757.jpg 20170819_144806.jpg 20170819_144809.jpg

Reactions: PStewart
Martinsburg, WV

Along Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways: US-11
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81:
To: Hagerstown, MD - 18.6 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles
To: Harrisburg, PA - 94.9 miles

Neighbors:
+ Bloomsburg, PA (WV-9,I-81,US-22,US-11,PA-54,PA-642,u): 163 miles
+ Harrisburg, PA (WV-9,I-81,I-83): 94.9 miles
* Hagerstown, MD (WV-9,I-81,I-70,MD-65): 18.6 miles
+ Aberdeen, MD (WV-9,I-81,I-70,I-695,I-95): 118 miles
+ Gaithersburg, MD (WV-9,I-81,I-70,I-270): 65.3 miles
Glen Allen, VA (WV-9,I-81,US-17,I-66,US-17,I-95,I-295,US-1): 153 miles
Strasburg, VA (WV-9,I-81,US-11): 43.5 miles
+ La Vale, MD (WV-9, I-81, I-70,I-68,US-40ALT): 81.3 miles
+ Breezewood, PA (WV-9,I-81,I-70,US-30): 63.6 miles

* Hagerstown, MD is quite close (under 20 miles) and is a significant diversion traveling from Martinsburg, WV to many other Superchargers (almost 9 miles). However, despite the large diversion, the location on Interstate means it's not a long-duration diversion.
+ These locations are neighbors if Hagerstown, MD is ignored.

This helps drivers avoid the Hagerstown, MD diversion, and is more easily reached from Lexington, VA.

(Data from Supercharge.info; mapping from Supercharge.info/Google maps).

Last edited:
Reactions: vdiv
Not on the Tesla coming soon map but West Virginia EV advocate and great guy, Rick Rohn, discovered a new location already well under construction at Sheetz in his hometown of Martinsburg, West Virginia.

Here is the location.

Google Maps
Rick has called shotgun for when I take the trip to Pittsburgh to pick up my Model 3. I'll have to be very careful to make sure he doesn't hijack the controls and take off to the eastern panhandle with it ;)

Strange. So there's now multiple Sheetz sites at locations...

... that don't make sense given Tesla's rollout plans
... that don't show up on Tesla's map

I wonder if these are privately owned? Whether Sheetz just bought a bunch of superchargers and is doing this on their own accord? If so, hopefully they'll end up on the map eventually.

On that front, does Sheetz have any interest in coming to Iceland? ;) hehe

Last edited:
Battery storage cabinet needs a pad to sit on, those aren't on a pad. Also battery storage needs an electronics cabinet and at least one battery cabinet.
I understand all of that but what else could it be for? Maybe another team will be setting a pad for it in the future. Run conduit now while you are trenching. As stated above Gaithersburg has one in it's publicly published plans.

For some of you that may not know or understand why there might be a battery unit at these future superchargers they would not be to power the supercharger in a power outage situation. They would be there to level out the demand that is put on the utility. Commercial power is generally billed in not only the power used but also what they call the demand which is the peak power used at any particular time and it's a rather substantial component of the billing. Batteries help even that out. You can tell that that's the reason Gaithersburg has one because it's only a 200 kW. That would not power a 12 stall supercharger very long. :)

Last edited: