Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - McAllen, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an uncle that lives in McAllen that could likely stop by. Is there just one Embassy Suites, the one at the convention center? Did the podcast say where the chargers were?

Hi Stephen, good to hear from you, wonderful news that you have a relative living close by! I believe there's only one Embassy Suites in McAllen, adjacent to the Convention Center. The TalkingTesla listener did not provide any other details but it looks like the parking lot at the hotel is not too large. Hopefully, it will be easy to locate.

I called the hotel front desk and they didn't know anything about it. I didn't initially find it in the building permits database either.

On edit: I broadened the type of permit to search for and found it.
800 Convention Center Blvd.
McAllen, TX 78501

The permit data says it is on convention center lot 6B. It passed a foundation inspection on May 18th, so it's definitely under construction.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
McAllen, TX

Interstates: I-2*
US Numbered Highways (<=5): US-83*

I-2
To: End (Harlingen, TX) - 35.8 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles

To: Three Rivers, TX (I-2,US-281) - 171 miles
To: Flatonia, TX (I-2,US-281,TX-359,U/s-59,US-183,US-77ALT,TX-95,I-10) - 280 miles
To: Kingsville, TX (I-2,US-281,TX-285,US-77) - 114 miles

Some fastest routes to and from McAllen, TX could change in the future because of the construction of US-69.

* US-83 is concurrent with I-2 here. Or really, I-2 is concurrent with US-83. I-2 is a short (46.8 mile) W-E stretch of Interstate near the Mexican border.

This is awesome!!!! I am considering purchasing a Tesla within the next year and my family lives in McAllen, TX. I live in Austin so the SC's I'd have to currently take would be San Marcos, Three Rivers, and Kingsville before taking the drive from Kingsville to McAllen. I've seen in another post that Falfurias is also getting one so range anxiety will be much less of a concern. Has anyone here made the trip to McAllen before? How was the charging experience?

This is awesome!!!! I am considering purchasing a Tesla within the next year and my family lives in McAllen, TX. I live in Austin so the SC's I'd have to currently take would be San Marcos, Three Rivers, and Kingsville before taking the drive from Kingsville to McAllen. I've seen in another post that Falfurias is also getting one so range anxiety will be much less of a concern. Has anyone here made the trip to McAllen before? How was the charging experience?
Falfurrias would be visited instead of Kingsville, shortening the trip by about 30 miles, but no real affect on range anxiety. Maybe you mean range anxiety because you want to skip Kingsville and go straight from Three Rivers to McAllen? That's 171 miles.

Range anxiety is becoming a thing of the past in a Tesla. If you can afford a 100D, there's almost nowhere you can't go.

Though, I will say, when there are twice as many chargers and 400 miles of range, there will be absolutely no advantage in driving a gas car. None. I can't wait.

I do not have a Tesla to confirm how the charging situation is but with gas cars with a little bit larger range can make it on one tank of gas to Austin with quarter tank to spare, should mean one quick stop at the Love's in Three Rivers is more than enough to make it either way.

I do not have a Tesla to confirm how the charging situation is but with gas cars with a little bit larger range can make it on one tank of gas to Austin with quarter tank to spare, should mean one quick stop at the Love's in Three Rivers is more than enough to make it either way.

Yep, my current ICE vehicle can make the drive with at least 70-80 miles left to spare on a full tank.

That Love’s in Three Rivers is definitely my favorite gas station! I stop there every time when heading to the RGV when visiting family.

According to A Better Routeplanner I can make the trip with a 43 min charge stop at Three Rivers and arrive with 10%. Once the Falfurias charger goes live the total charge time might get lower.

McAllen Supercharger is looking like it is almost done!
IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg

It only adds about 25 minutes extra to the drive to go through Kingsville.

Falfurrias does not have their permits online, so it is a little more difficult to find them. The Tesla map does not designate that it will be built in 2017 (although I think there have been some that were not scheduled for this year that have already been built).

Reactions: hatully