Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - McAllen, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s help other tesla owners by reporting this guy to management. He is an embassy suites employee who finds it convient to park in the only head in tesla stall. The last four stalls are general parking, but maybe this guy doesn’t read English. Every time I stop to charge up he is ICEing the stalls.

Attachments

• 3773D241-34E9-443D-ADBD-E7DC713C63FE.jpeg
    3773D241-34E9-443D-ADBD-E7DC713C63FE.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 136
Has there been any discussion of McAllen being the end point for that growing line of SCs north of Mexico City?

supercharge.info

In general, and including McAllen, with warranty and insurance concerns aside, at some point it would be nice to light up at bare minimum tourist zones stretching from Baja del Norte east:

1. San Ysidro, CA --> Ensenada (about 75 miles from the border).
2. Lukeville, AZ --> Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point, about 75 miles from the border).
3. Sonora, AZ --> Guaymas.

Not sure what tourist destinations are that near the Texas border crossings, but already there are large expat communities between where the SCs in Mexico are today and points north. Getting to these will be of greater interest when people start modifying the Tesla pickup truck into a serviceable compact RV.

Anything within 75 miles of McAllen headed south?

"The U.S. State Department issued a travel warning Wednesday advising Americans to avoid five states in Mexico, putting the regions at the same level of danger as war-torn Syria, Yemen, and Somalia.

The level 4 “do not travel” risk is the highest warning and applies to the Pacific coast states of Sinaloa, Colima, Michoacán, Guerrero, and Tamaulipas on the eastern Gulf.

“Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread,” the advisory reads."

Tamaulipas is the state across the border from McAllen and Laredo (and Boca Chica, for that matter).

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
All, yesterday (5/25/17) on TalkingTesla, a listener wrote in that Tesla had a Supercharger under construction at the Embassy Suites in McAllen, Texas. Does anyone live close enough to that area to check it out?
Used it a couple of days ago. It's in close proximity to shops and restaurants. There was another model 3 charging when I was there. No issues. Great location IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
I live about 2 1/2 miles from the current SC. One the one hand, I can't say this is a surprise. The current one stays pretty busy and its not that unusual for it to be full. On the other hand, there is another NEVI site going in at the Love's Travel Center just north of Edinburg on US281/I-69C. (https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/statewide/EV Charging Plan/Phase1/TX_NEVI_Results.pdf) I don't know if that will be a Tesla SC or another company with NACS plugs. Most likely it will be another company.

The current site is in the Embassy Suites parking lot and there is no room for expansion. That hotel stays busy and the parking lot full. There is some vacant land nearby.

Considering the number of new SCs in the Rio Grande Valley, I have to wonder why we need them all. Nobody drives through the Valley to get some place else. (Very few people travel to Mexico anymore.) My guess is that it's the Space X effect. The first two Starship launches overwhelmed the existing SCs. That would account for all the new SCs being built or permitted on the routes to the Valley from San Antonio and/or Houston, such as the new NEVI site in Raymondville.