Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - McFarland, CA (permit found, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Marco, 8 V3 stalls at Valero station on 99 north of Bakersfield.

CDEE1CBA-E9D7-4AB2-B0E4-F59F5F6BFAE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Tesla needs to have better reconnaissance when labeling Supercharger locations. Yes, this location is more than likely has a post office address of McFarland. But for those of us who have traipsed up and down this Valley since Hector was a pup, this junction is known as Famoso.

Back in the day before the interstate highways became the rage, the east-west highway that merged onto US99 here was old US466. (For those of you movie buffs, US466 was where James Dean met his demise in 1955 in his Porsche at the junction with SR41 near Cholame, but I digress.)

Since California renumbered and/or truncated a lot of their federal highways in 1964, US466 morphed into SR46. But that junction is still Famoso to many of us.

But with Tesla I know that I am talking to the wind. [Sigh.]

Reactions: Watt_Sparky
Tesla needs to have better reconnaissance when labeling Supercharger locations. Yes, this location is more than likely has a post office address of McFarland. But for those of us who have traipsed up and down this Valley since Hector was a pup, this junction is known as Famoso.

Back in the day before the interstate highways became the rage, the east-west highway that merged onto US99 here was old US466. (For those of you movie buffs, US466 was where James Dean met his demise in 1955 in his Porsche at the junction with SR41 near Cholame, but I digress.)

Since California renumbered and/or truncated a lot of their federal highways in 1964, US466 morphed into SR46. But that junction is still Famoso to many of us.

But with Tesla I know that I am talking to the wind. [Sigh.]
You mean like Firebaugh? It isn’t even the closest town.

Sometimes the official names don't even matter because people make up their own. They sound like episodes from "Friends", so for example "The one by Home Depot" (Pleasanton), "The one by Benihana" (Concord - Diamond Blvd.), "The one with the lounge" (Kettleman City), "The one across the road" (Kettleman City - Bernard Drive).

So I'm sure people are going to come up with some nickname for McFarland or whatever it winds up being called by Tesla.

Bruce.

From what I can tell, it was Kern County that renamed the locality in the permit to McFarland. It originally listed Famoso (unless Marco took a screenshot after modifying the webpage).
The address for the fuel station is MacFarland. The name of the Valero is Famoso Fuel Stop but the address is also MacFarland. Tesla will call this MacFarland because that’s the city in the address. If plans Become public, it’ll have the station name on the first page.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah and DoItDiff
Actually, "Hollister" is really Casa de Fruta. Gardnerville, Nevada should be Topaz Lake or Holbrook Junction. But I doubt that they have post office addresses that correspond to the traditional place names.

Those are the two off the top of my head, but I am certain that there are others.

Early on, Tesla named Harris Ranch (not Coalinga--that name came with the second installation) and Tejon Ranch (not Arvin, the post office address) after the locally-known place names.

I'll give Tesla a pass on Firebaugh. There are no cities along Interstate 5 between the SR152 junction and Kettleman City. Mendota might be a tad closer, but the PO probably doesn't cover that far SW.

Actually, "Hollister" is really Casa de Fruta. Gardnerville, Nevada should be Topaz Lake or Holbrook Junction. But I doubt that they have post office addresses that correspond to the traditional place names.

Those are the two off the top of my head, but I am certain that there are others.

Early on, Tesla named Harris Ranch (not Coalinga--that name came with the second installation) and Tejon Ranch (not Arvin, the post office address) after the locally-known place names.

I'll give Tesla a pass on Firebaugh. There are no cities along Interstate 5 between the SR152 junction and Kettleman City. Mendota might be a tad closer, but the PO probably doesn't cover that far SW.
I’d rather see a street name than a town that is a long ways away. Without looking at a map, I think of Firebaugh as CA33, not I5. If I went to McFarland to charge heading out of Bakersfield, I’d completely blow past this site. Just because the car routes you to places doesn’t mean the names don’t need to make sense. Not everyone enters destinations when driving.