Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Medicine Hat, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can always hope... The crew that did Portage, Brandon, Prawda, and presumably Whitewood are currently doing Davidson. They are from Prince Albert so the hope is that they are doing the remaining pieces in the area if the necessary agreements and permissions are obtained from land-owners. That would mean Regina, Swift Current and Medicine Hat, if not Bassano or somewhere in that area too. Meanwhile there was a crew going along from Sudbury that has done up to Sault Ste Marie and said they were headed further north-west. So presumably the works will be done by winter? (We hope) After all, why do the TransCanada and leave out a few pieces, unless placement agreements are the problem?

My theory is that when all the site preps are done, they will blitz the hardware installs and have a grand opening announcement.

... Or, they could be just working on Elon time.

ETA: It also occurs to me they could do just Brooks, 200km roughly from Maple Creek, and that would finish the Calgary link with one install. Still need Swift Current though. Moose Jaw to Maple Creek is pushing it in winter - 300-plus km.

Last edited:
Any signs of construction yet?

I was just there and saw a stack of yellow temporary fencing.
Maybe it’s there for the upcoming construction?
It’s in the right area so hopefully!

Attachments

• 682B896B-1D80-45F9-9063-7ABBE32ED222.jpeg
    682B896B-1D80-45F9-9063-7ABBE32ED222.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 130
That seems like the right spot. I don’t think that looks like the temp fencing used at the other Prairie locations so far but it could be just what a local rental store had available.

I was skeptical about this exact spot, because initial news reporting was linking these to Walmart. However now that Regina’s location has been revealed as in a Canadian Tire lot rather than the nearby Walmart, this seems a lot more likely. That the mall management company isn’t going to limit them to only the Walmarts in their store portfolio.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP
How do you get to Calgary from there? Is it doable in warmer weather in a LR? It seems it would be. If so, what speed? Do you charge to 100% first? Any stops?

Sorry I never replied ... I missed the question. In summertime, if I leave from the Hat with 100% in my Dual Motor LR Model 3 on a warm day, I will get to the supercharger with around 20%, travelling at 117km/h on the highway. In the winter, I've done it at 111km/h and arrived with 4%. In both cases, I followed Tesla's recommended route which heads north a bit before Strathmore, this bypassing the town. Normally I stop in brooks for a bio-break and a snack at the BP though, so I usually have a fair bit more juice when I get to the Crossiron (Balzac) SC.

Reactions: SammichLover
Sorry I never replied ... I missed the question. In summertime, if I leave from the Hat with 100% in my Dual Motor LR Model 3 on a warm day, I will get to the supercharger with around 20%, travelling at 117km/h on the highway. In the winter, I've done it at 111km/h and arrived with 4%. In both cases, I followed Tesla's recommended route which heads north a bit before Strathmore, this bypassing the town. Normally I stop in brooks for a bio-break and a snack at the BP though, so I usually have a fair bit more juice when I get to the Crossiron (Balzac) SC.
That sounds about right, taking 564 to avoid futzing around with Strathmore and a lower speed road that’s also in good shape always stretches miles, and those numbers sound about right. Medicine Hat is really only 3 hrs out of Calgary, so having to go to the north end for Crossiron is very doable.

The IMG in your first post isn’t showing for me. Does anyone else see it?

There wasn’t anyone handy that seemed approachable to ask what they were working on, if it is a SC?

Reactions: Vawlkus
That sounds about right, taking 564 to avoid futzing around with Strathmore and a lower speed road that’s also in good shape always stretches miles, and those numbers sound about right. Medicine Hat is really only 3 hrs out of Calgary, so having to go to the north end for Crossiron is very doable.

There wasn’t anyone handy that seemed approachable to ask what they were working on, if it is a SC?
I don’t see it either.

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover

I don’t see it either.
I was able to see it by opening the pic in a new link via Google Photos. It shows a lot of construction (dirt piling, excavation, broken concrete, etc.)
4E0F75C3-0F36-400E-9315-940B425DE1C6.jpeg

With that said, I think an update would be good to have after 10 days with no comments to further confirm this

Is there a stage for “awaiting installation”?

Looks like they finished the construction work (modulo a tiny bit of paving) and just need to install the transformery-thing, the cabinety-things, and the charging pedestalamacallits.

I’m guessing power gets connected via a transformer in the big yellow square, so they probably still need the local utility to tie them in.

I’m hoping this will be the last time I have to CHAdeMO charge on the way through!

4D72231F-EBE4-4CA9-B604-42402C4BACA9.jpeg
45AF71FC-5B30-49AA-8E4D-7966DF5BA476.jpeg

Is there a stage for “awaiting installation”?

Looks like they finished the construction work (modulo a tiny bit of paving) and just need to install the transformery-thing, the cabinety-things, and the charging pedestalamacallits.

I’m guessing power gets connected via a transformer in the big yellow square, so they probably still need the local utility to tie them in.

I’m hoping this will be the last time I have to CHAdeMO charge on the way through!

View attachment 457638 View attachment 457639

Under construction
@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

The stall layout here looks very wonky. But it's sort of hard to tell from the pictures uploaded so far. The normal layout for these TCH stations is there to be 2 V3 cabinets which are capable of serving 8 stalls. But only 6 are being connected up currently, with 2 additional conduits being run as spares to support a future expansion to the full 8. Here, it looks like they've run the "spares" to spaces in the middle of the station, instead of at the ends. So, where I would expect there to be a pull forward stall, there's no conduit sticking up.

Next time anyone goes by, can you get good pics that show the location of all the bases for the charging posts? TIA.

The stall layout here looks very wonky. But it's sort of hard to tell from the pictures uploaded so far. The normal layout for these TCH stations is there to be 2 V3 cabinets which are capable of serving 8 stalls. But only 6 are being connected up currently, with 2 additional conduits being run as spares to support a future expansion to the full 8. Here, it looks like they've run the "spares" to spaces in the middle of the station, instead of at the ends. So, where I would expect there to be a pull forward stall, there's no conduit sticking up.

Next time anyone goes by, can you get good pics that show the location of all the bases for the charging posts? TIA.
I stared at the two sets of pictures above for a bit, and I think I counted 3 stalls on each side of the transformers (6 total), all reverse-in spots - the base of the Canadian Tire sign obscures the third spot on the left in this picture:
4d72231f-ebe4-4ca9-b604-42402c4baca9-jpeg.457638

But you can count 3 bollards with metal signposts on the left in this picture, and see that the third one is where the asphalt cutout ends:
70678777_10158034354323881_8493855890120638464_n-jpg.457623

All of the other bollards lack signposts, so I don't think they are supercharger spots - they are there to prevent vehicles taking out the transformers accidentally by reversing too far