Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Medicine Hat, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stared at the two sets of pictures above for a bit, and I think I counted 3 stalls on each side of the transformers (6 total), all reverse-in spots - the base of the Canadian Tire sign obscures the third spot on the left in this picture:
[pid]
But you can count 3 bollards with metal signposts on the left in this picture, and see that the third one is where the asphalt cutout ends:
[pic]
All of the other bollards lack signposts, so I don't think they are supercharger spots - they are there to prevent vehicles taking out the transformers accidentally by reversing too far
Yes, that was my impression also. In which case it is bad stall/site layout. The cabinet on the island looks like it is set up to serve the 3 stalls to the left of the island and the single one, which would be a pull forward stall, to the immediate right. Also fine. The problem is that it looks like they chose the spare to be in the pull forward stall, so it isn't getting put in at this time. Meaning that until the site gets the expansion, they are going to have a parking space without a charger randomly sitting right in the middle of the station AND that they aren't going to have any pull forward stalls at this location. Both of which are bad design choices. If they had chosen the last stall to the left as the spare neither would be an issue.

Looking again at the pictures, I can now see that it looks like the spare from the other cabinet is at the outside of the stalls where it should be, not the inside as I had previously thought. This explains the otherwise extraneous bollard with no signpost at the very right end of the row.

With that said, I think an update would be good to have after 10 days with no comments to further confirm this

Hey, sorry I didn't get back here to elaborate - I actually tried to add more photos, but I kept running into an error message, and then the Real World (tm) interrupted my thoughts, LOL!

Anyway, so a few days ago (before the photos that other folks have kindly posted) I had stopped in for a Starbucks coffee with my wife and we stopped to chat with the workers. Unfortunately, the conversation wasn't very long. The workers were super friendly, but when I asked, "So you guys are installing a new Tesla Supercharger here, eh?" they replied with, "Sorry, we signed an NDA when we took this job, so we aren't allowed to discuss what's being installed." I was really surprised, actually. But at the time, my wife commented to me that what they were installing sure looked like the conduit used for something like you would expect for a supercharger.

Meanwhile, there was an article posted by one of our local newspapers about the "alleged" Tesla Supercharger. Apparently even Tesla won't clarify with a legitimate reporter: https://chatnewstoday.ca/2019/09/23...-station-taking-shape-at-southlands-crossing/

The article links to some other social media and there's a short video, but it doesn't have many new details.

The location, as most people are now aware, is indeed the Crappy Tire parking lot, just down from the Starbucks. I'll attach a Google Maps location for anyone who isn't sure where the pictures are being taken - I've highlighted the precise location in purple. Here's a Maps link: Google Maps

Tesla Supercharger Location.png

If I can manage to get any more information than this, I'll be sure to post it - I do stop at the Crappy Tire on a pretty regular basis normally … just not much in the last few weeks.

Aaaaalrighty folks, I swung by there today and grabbed a few more pictures which I'll add as thumbnails here. Everything is pretty much the same as the last photos that other folks have already posted, but I figured more pics might pick up a detail or two that we haven't noticed before. I also snagged a short video walking around the area, but I'm not sure of the best way to post it. I'll post that in a separate comment once I figure it out.

(Edit: Having weird issues with uploading the images again - maybe we're restricted to two per post?)

IMG_20190925_155134.jpg
PANO_20190925_155101.jpg
IMG_20190925_155035.jpg
IMG_20190925_155024.jpg
IMG_20190925_154824.jpg

Here's the video I took, uploaded to YouTube. It's short, but it might offer some detail that isn't immediately apparent in the photos.

As an aside, I have to say this is one of the absolute best SuperCharger locations I've seen yet. The only thing that could make it just a little bit more awesome is if there was a 24-hr coffee shop or something. The Starbucks right next to it is open until 9pm, so that's decent. Everything else in the immediate vicinity closes earlier. Still, this is much better than the one in Kelowna which is hidden in a corner by the Home Depot there ... only great if you like to browse for tools while you're charging ;)

Last edited:
Great photos, thanks for posting! I've been waiting for the Medicine Hat supercharger for months/years. Soon there'll be no more sloooow level 2 charging at Peavey Mart for me :)

Dont lose sight of how much Peavey Mart has given to us as EV owners. For you, they were the only option, but for many people and many communities, they still are.

In my opinion, they deserve our strong loyalty for enabling EV travel before almost anyone else, and certainly before it would have been profitable for them. They are the Roadster of charging sites.

Enabled by Sun Country, I know. Them too.

It is very likely the switching equipment for the superchargers and battery packs. I suspect that they will start turning up TCH superchargers starting at Bassano, and then Medicine Hat, Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Regina in that order. Those sites can have a immediate impact on a lot of Tesla owners in AB, and SK since everything west of Calgary is pretty well connected. Then they will keep going East to MB and ON.

Reactions: irelandm
Any progress would be inspiring...

Calgary to Regina is complete on Chademo today.
The entire Trans Canada will be complete on Superchargers (mostly v3 no less) soon with all the sites basically complete minus the pedestals.

I’ve had my Tesla since 2017, and lots here have had cars for much longer than me. This is great progress. PetroCan has cut more than 10 hours off my trips to Winnipeg already, and that will almost certainly improve before Christmas. I’d say we’ve had fantastic progress this year.

Rolled by today, snapped a quick pic to show progress. I didn't wanna weird out the fence installers, so I only got a single shot, but it shows the plywood boxes over the "mystery" infrastructure.

I'm working a lot of hours over the next month, so I might not make it to this end of town again until November. I'll do my best.

Edit: trying to attach an image and I keep getting a "security error," regardless of which browser I'm using on Android m phone. I'll keep trying different methods.

View attachment 461949

Thanks to Manitoba Keith for properly embedding the pic. I was able to attach a Screenshot of my error message. Go figure.
I went to your Google pic, clicked on it, right clicked & selected copy. Then pasted it to the message. Might work for you next time.
It might need 15 posts before you can attach a picture :rolleyes: Glad I could help.

• Love
Reactions: irelandm