Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Medicine Hat, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new blue pin has been added to supercharge.info for a Supercharger at 1941 Strachan Road SE. The original post came from the Tesla Owners Club of Alberta with a reference to a “Public Notices” document published May 4th. There was another post about a month ago by @JSergeant about another article concerning electric vehicle charging stations in Medicine Hat, although that one was not about Superchargers, but about the 150 kW charging stations Petro-Canada is planning to install across the country this coming year. As far as I can see, there is no other planned charging station which makes this a more likely possibility for a Supercharger. The mall it is located at is called Southlands Crossing.
9758189C-AE1E-470F-B900-CF8D46B209DC.png

Attachments

• 591A5182-A7CD-4AE6-8935-E4AD3A7DC364.jpeg
    591A5182-A7CD-4AE6-8935-E4AD3A7DC364.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 174
  • F80E0716-B465-4E34-9220-4E9D2F63A778.jpeg
    F80E0716-B465-4E34-9220-4E9D2F63A778.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
So many blue dots between calgary and sudbury. I hope there's gonna be action soon, not just intentions !

Assuming a preliminary target of connecting Calgary, AB to Winnipeg, MB, for fair-weather travel, the current identified sites plus Swift Current, SK would be OK.

But, if they're serious about year-round travel, for winter, it looks like they need 5 more sites.
1 between Calgary, AB and Medicine Hat, AB.
3 between Medicine Hat, AB and Regina, SK.
1 between Regina, SK and Moosomin, SK.

Then there's five other significant connections to be made:
- Winnipeg, MB to Minneapolis, MN: that would require the known sites of Pembina, ND, unknown Grand Forks, ND, Fargo, ND, and Alexandria, MN (which is/was due to start this spring). Connecting those would provide another, relatively fast route east.

- Winnipeg, MB to Sudbury, ON: to allow an all-Canadian route to Toronto, ON and points farther east.

- Subdury, ON to Ottawa, ON: to allow a fast all-Canadian route to Ottawa, ON, Montreal, QC

- Edmunston, NB to Enfield, NS: This stretch will complete the connection from Toronto, ON to Halifax, NS. Well under way. Lincoln, NB and Aulac, NB open, Salisbury, NB and Enfield, NS under construction, and Woodstock, NB known but not started.

- Aulac, NB to St. John's, NL. You can dream, right?

Assuming a preliminary target of connecting Calgary, AB to Winnipeg, MB, for fair-weather travel, the current identified sites plus Swift Current, SK would be OK.

But, if they're serious about year-round travel, for winter, it looks like they need 5 more sites.

- Winnipeg, MB to Minneapolis, MN: that would require the known sites of Pembina, ND, unknown Grand Forks, ND, Fargo, ND, and Alexandria, MN (which is/was due to start this spring). Connecting those would provide another, relatively fast route east.

- Winnipeg, MB to Sudbury, ON: to allow an all-Canadian route to Toronto, ON and points farther east.

- Subdury, ON to Ottawa, ON: to allow a fast all-Canadian route to Ottawa, ON, Montreal, QC

- Edmunston, NB to Enfield, NS: This stretch will complete the connection from Toronto, ON to Halifax, NS. Well under way. Lincoln, NB and Aulac, NB open, Salisbury, NB and Enfield, NS under construction, and Woodstock, NB known but not started.

Most of those and more are "planned." I take their "plans" with a grain of salt though. Winnipeg, for example, has been coming "this year" for over 5 years now.
Find Us | Tesla

You already can go from Montreal to Halifax today since Saint Leonard NB opened.

I did Montreal Fredericton furing the winter -15c with a MR. It worked fine beside the Rivière du loup Fredericton stretch without Saint Leonard.
However Montreal Quebec 250km was no problem with the MR.
I am pretty sure the SR could do the trip you mentioned in the winter as well.
But I hear you though, the SC you have the merryier ! :)

And you can easily get from Windsor or Sudbury to Montreal to take that even farther.

The Trans-Canada becomes a dead end, but you can make it to Minneapolis via Windsor, and then an hour the other side of Minneapolis at Clearwater you are out of options trying to make it to Winnipeg. You can overnight in Fargo, use a destination charger, and hope the LR makes it to Winnipeg (depending on weather) where you are out of options unless you plan to go one charge a day... The next "cross-country" option involves going via South Dakota to Seattle and then coming back toward Alberta via the trans-Canada.

Confirmed with the City of Medicine Hat planning department, a permit has been issued for a Tesla supercharger at 1941 Strachan Rd.

Hopefully Tesla gets their act together and builds this location fast. It's a critical gateway charger to BC/Alberta for those of us from Saskatchewan

It’s great to hear things are finally clicking into place — particularly for all the SK Tesla owners (and prospective owners). I’m still burning a tiny candle of hope that it’ll miraculously be ready by mid-July for a road trip.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
Moose Jaw now under construction. It seems to me my AWD-LR should be able to make it from Moose Jaw to Medicine Hat; now all I need is Medicine Hat and Moosomin too (There's a song in there somewhere...) and I might be able to go somewhere in the darn thing.

Moose Jaw now under construction. It seems to me my AWD-LR should be able to make it from Moose Jaw to Medicine Hat; now all I need is Medicine Hat and Moosomin too (There's a song in there somewhere...) and I might be able to go somewhere in the darn thing.

Already referenced here: Mid-Canada Superchargers :)

....I was referencing one of the Guess Who's songs, "Running back to Saskatoon"
Moose Jaw, Broadview, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace, Hanna, Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune

PS: Burton Cummings now lives in Moose Jaw......could use one there!

The next "cross-country" option involves going via South Dakota to Seattle and then coming back toward Alberta via the trans-Canada.
No need to go out to the coast, coming up through Lethbridge from Missoula is an entirely legit fair-weather leg. Winter time, too, if you'll swallow your pride for at least a couple hours L2 in Kalispell. My car even says it is hip to try Butte to Lethbridge although it'll be a slow roll trip and I'd probably use the DC in Helena for safety plus there's a couple of L2 boosts listed in plugshare available as well.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I met a SR plus owner from medicine hat at the Calgary service center. Hopefully he’ll come on here and find this thread. I told him about the blue pen and that we were looking for someone local that could keep an eye on the site, And around town generally.

Reactions: S'toon
I'm in Medicine Hat, I drive a Model 3 LR (non perf). I live on the other end of town from the upcoming super charger, but last time I was there, I saw no construction yet. I'm in Salmon Arm right now, but I'll check again when we're back (a week or so). Also, I'll pass a link to this thread to some fellow Tesla owners in the Hat.

How do you get to Calgary from there? Is it doable in warmer weather in a LR? It seems it would be. If so, what speed? Do you charge to 100% first? Any stops?

How do you get to Calgary from there? Is it doable in warmer weather in a LR? It seems it would be. If so, what speed? Do you charge to 100% first? Any stops?
It’s only about a 300km trip from Medicine Hat, depending on where in Calgary your end point is, and the SC isn’t that out of the way from the #1. That’s really easy in an LR in temperate weather. It’s the SR that would find it more challenging w/o watching speed, wind, etc. Or very poor weather in an LR.