Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Tesla finally gets a SpC T-d up for the middle of the "Supercharger desert" and all people can do is complain.

If you don't like it, don't use it.
No need to get huffy people just commenting. Yes it is a bit difficult for some travelors. Lets put it this way for us if we were to drive straight through from Sikeston Mo Supercharger to Little Rock, AR and use this SC it is over an extra 50 miles. If you are heading south it is an extra 25 miles out of this way. I have traveled out of the way for SC before, but nothing like this. Will I use it? Yes. At this time we have no choice. Just appears to me Tesla is having a really hard time with Arkansas.

Considering that these cost a few hundred thousand dollars to build, I don't think they are going to put these on multiple sides of Memphis, nor should they.

I disagree, Look at the California distribution. Common to have multiple per large city.

I'd expect eventually to have 2-3 for Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville plus additional locations between. I'm not promising multiple per city this year or next, just saying it needs to happen and will eventually happen.

As examples of non California areas that have 2 per city right now we have

Salt Lake City, UT
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA
Cleveland, OH

Heck Chicago has 4 or 5 depending on which you count.

I just don't see Memphis as small enough to be limited to only 1 supercharger location.

Last edited:
I disagree, Look at the California distribution. Common to have multiple per large city.

I'd expect eventually to have 2-3 for Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville plus additional locations between. I'm not promising multiple per city this year or next, just saying it needs to happen and will eventually happen.

Salt Lake City, UT
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA
Cleveland, OH

I just don't see Memphis as small enough to be limited to only 1 supercharger location.
Not to mention with Model 3 and the smaller batteries in say the Model S 60 driving a good deal out of your way isnt good.

Another example is the new permit for Naples FL. It is 18 miles from the SC in Fort Meyers FL.

Reactions: flyeyes
Wow, I am shocked at the amount of complaining about this Supercharger.

Considering that these cost a few hundred thousand dollars to build, I don't think they are going to put these on multiple sides of Memphis, nor should they.

My goodness. With this being the fastest, most high power charging station format on the entire planet, I can't believe how you are acting like you are being waterboarded to have to drive 7 or 8 miles out of your way to get access to it. Yep, they pick these locations just to torture you.

This is a really big area, and there are 6 interstates coming out of this area in several directions. There is no one location that can be convenient to all of that, so apparently there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth of how idiotic Tesla was, no matter where they picked. Jeez.

For I-55 Google Maps gives a total diversion of 22 miles and Memphis to Miner is over 150 miles. Both of those are excessive.
Also, Little Rock, AR to the Memphis, TN supercharger is also over 150 miles.
Also, as another example, Little Rock, AR to Batesville, TN (just picking a place on I-55) is fastest I-40 + I-55.
So, given that Tesla is always looking to stay below 150 miles, and given that a West Memphis site could serve I-40W from/to I-55N/S, and I-40W/I-55N to I-22, I can definitely see them adding another site, although they might do it by co-siting at a Service Center or Store/Gallery.

Reactions: Drucifer
Wow, I am shocked at the amount of complaining about this Supercharger.

My goodness. With this being the fastest, most high power charging station format on the entire planet, I can't believe how you are acting like you are being waterboarded to have to drive 7 or 8 miles out of your way to get access to it. Yep, they pick these locations just to torture you.

This is a really big area, and there are 6 interstates coming out of this area in several directions. There is no one location that can be convenient to all of that, so apparently there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth of how idiotic Tesla was, no matter where they picked. Jeez.

Rocky:
I personally don't believe in flame wars so I will not respond to any personal attacks, but I will request you refrain from any denigrating or impugning responses. We all are here to encourage success. We are all on the same team.

If you've ever read any of my other posts, you'd see I am a huge Tesla supporter, and I'm a believer SCs should be used almost exclusively for long distance travel. I doubt I will use this charger more than once, so I'm not complaining for convenience (in fact, you should note where I wrote "I'm there almost every day." Rather, my concern is that Tesla is throwing away their money putting this in a poor location. I've already explained my rationale, so I won't repeat. However, I will be seeing who I know at Boyle, and try to change the location. I won't be complaining to any municipal or county boards.

For what it's worth it here are ALL of the filed documents:
Initial Application
Deed Proof
Variance Request
Engineering Survey/Design
Site Survey (You can see the alternate site they had in mind, right off Park instead of Ridgeway)

Thanks for posting all that. Those other documents didn't pop up in my search for "Tesla" and I didn't think to look past the original two docs I posted.

Interesting quote from the letter:

"The electric vehicle charging station is an allowed use for the current site zoning (CMU-2) and will serve Tesla EV drivers who both live in the area and those traveling through the area."

I think they have to put that in the letter to make it appeal more to the community...:cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
As a separate question is it common to see Superchargers setup with 1A/B and 2A/B set as dedicated while 3A/B and 4A/B are just enabled? I assumed they would have all of the "A" connectors as dedicated to help speed up charge times leaving "B"s as enabled. This can be seen on the Engineering Survey document.

It is common to have both types of parking. Posts from about 2 years ago explain at length. They usually alternate "Tesla Only' with "30 minutes general parking" and usually xA will be one of these 2, and xB will be the opposite, to try and decrease charger sharing. But not always. Perhaps it will be as in the posted document, or perhaps that's just an easy way to show that both kinds of parking will be available, but they don't really mean it in the exact detail in the proposal.

I know I am one of those. We travel to my sisters in Little Rock once or twice per year. We need a charge between Sikeston and Little Rock. This one will have us drive about 20 minutes from downtown, we stop for BBQ in Memphis, and then head back west. That is according to Bing Maps. So adds like an hour to the trip.

A BBQ stop that keeps you from having to deal with downtown and that isn't too far from the SC location is Germantown Commissary, known by locals as just The Commissary. I actually prefer it to the downtown places, but with all things BBQ, it's all personal preference.

Salt Lake City, UT
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA
Cleveland, OH

Atlanta only sort of has more than one. The main one is at Atlantic Station in midtown, which is a pretty decent location for a lot of through-travelers, especially those heading north on I-85 or I-75 or those heading south from I-85 or I-75. People just going through on I-20, it's out of the way. The second SC is at the service center, which is in a terrible place for people on long-distance travel.

Ideally large metro areas with major interstate crossings like Atlanta and Memphis will eventually get locations on each busy side of town so people can charge up before or after hitting bad traffic. But that's a lower priority than filling in all the wastelands.

I could have sworn one of the documents posted last night said Boyle is the owner of this property. But I'm looking now at the website ModelZ pointed to, and it says Loeb.

So, as I hoped to call and convince the owner of this property to put it on another of their sites, I don't see that as a viable option anymore.

I travel down 55 and turn West at Memphis toward Little Rock. Charging is a real problem through Arkansas. I don't think the Memphis charger being discussed would be anything but great heading South, but it is out of the way for West bound. Somewhere near the river would be far more centrally located. I can understand why they would say local owners, if they wanted the City to clear them. :)

Seems like an odd location. West Memphis, AK would have made more sense combined with Jackson, TN to get a location between Nashville and West Memphis, AK.

This location is pretty far from Nashville and doesn't really cover I-55 very easily, without going a fair amount out of the way.

West Memphis, where I-40 and I-55 merge, would be good logistically (although that is a depressing area to spend more than 5 minutes in). As others have pointed out the Pinch district of Memphis (Bass Pro area) would work in lieu of West Memphis. It is really quite sad that Arkansas lags behind so much in fast-charge options (both SpC and CHAdeMO).

It is common to have both types of parking. Posts from about 2 years ago explain at length. They usually alternate "Tesla Only' with "30 minutes general parking" and usually xA will be one of these 2, and xB will be the opposite, to try and decrease charger sharing. But not always. Perhaps it will be as in the posted document, or perhaps that's just an easy way to show that both kinds of parking will be available, but they don't really mean it in the exact detail in the proposal.

Thanks for the clarification, I was reading it to spec and it didn't make sense splitting chargers when you didn't have to. I really doubt that area would get ICE'd on a regular basis so even if it is setup to spec it should be a non-issue.