Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

This is literally my first post here, but I've been specifically following this thread for a while now... The completion of this charger is going to determine if my "extended" test drive will be full of charging or driving. I'll have a Model S from December 23rd until the 26th, and I'm driving the car from Nashville to Jackson, Mississippi to visit some family and friends at home.

From what I know and can tell, a P90D should make it from Nashville to Memphis in a single charge, and then from there to Pearl, Mississippi. Failing this charger being done, I'll be going through Birmingham to stop at a L2 charger there, and then limp to Meridian, Mississippi to top off the car and get all the way to Jackson.

My question is this: From the time that the meter is installed and power is supplied to the Supercharger, is there typically much of a lag time to the date of it opening, or has Tesla already done all of their work at this point? I'm obviously new to the world of Tesla (as far as being directly involved with it), but I'm making a great effort to get up to speed on things as quickly as possible, as I plan to buy a Model S within the next year.

I apologize if i'm hijacking the thread... Just really excited that this Supercharger may be done in time for me to take my test drive. :)

You can easily get from Nashville SpC to Memphis (I do so easily with a 2013 85 and I'm not exactly running under the speed limit). If for some unknown reason the Memphis SpC isn't up and running by your test drive I'd still encourage coming through Memphis. We have several free CHAdeMO chargers so if you can borrow an adapter that'd give you close to SpC speeds so you can properly enjoy driving the car (not just charging it).

Reactions: CSFTN
Ive got to drive through Memphis tomorrow. I already have a ChaDeMo adapter. Where are the best ChaDemos heading from Nashville to Jackson, MS?

In my opinion Wolfchase Nissan would be the best place to stop. It's right near a mall and plenty of restaurants. The staff are quite friendly towards EV charging; I once had to ask them to power on the CHAdeMO charger as it had been shut off at the breaker. Since this stop is right off I-40 on your way into Memphis it would be a good place to kill time if traffic is bad (since the new I-40/240 connector isn't done just yet).

A fair alternate would be Landers Nissan off I-55 just on the other side of the TN-MS border. I don't have any experience there but from what you can find on PlugShare it looks quite favorable.

Thanks for all the replies guys... I'm definitely going to be careful until I actually get into Jackson Mississippi, and then i'll start playing with the car and having fun. I don't expect it to be terribly cold during this trip, so hopefully I won't have any unforeseen issues cropping up.

Right now I'm more worried about which Model S i want to plan on buying... While Autopilot is cool, I've got half a mind to just go ahead and buy a used one in the mid $50,000 range and drive it for a few years, and then trade up later. My primary goal here is to not have to buy gas for this trip that is likely going to happen every weekend.

Depressing update .... Stopped by around 630 tonight. No changes. Furthermore, while the transformer and pad are clearly in, and they ran some electrical wires from the transformer to the pole, they didn't make a connection. And, the wire run ~ 6 weeks ago doubled back on itself up in the pole remains up on the pole. And, it looks to me like they ruptured and repaired the fiber optic cable. So, I'd guess that means a work stop until the fiber optic people inspect and certify the repair.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    626.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    634.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for all the replies guys... I'm definitely going to be careful until I actually get into Jackson Mississippi, and then i'll start playing with the car and having fun. I don't expect it to be terribly cold during this trip, so hopefully I won't have any unforeseen issues cropping up.

Right now I'm more worried about which Model S i want to plan on buying... While Autopilot is cool, I've got half a mind to just go ahead and buy a used one in the mid $50,000 range and drive it for a few years, and then trade up later. My primary goal here is to not have to buy gas for this trip that is likely going to happen every weekend.

I bought a 2013 CPO 85 with this same mentality. AP would have been nice but I enjoy driving and now with AP2.0 I don't regret my decision. You should be able to score a CPO for under $50k easy (I did and there were several options).

Depressing update .... Stopped by around 630 tonight. No changes. Furthermore, while the transformer and pad are clearly in, and they ran some electrical wires from the transformer to the pole, they didn't make a connection. And, the wire run ~ 6 weeks ago doubled back on itself up in the pole remains up on the pole. And, it looks to me like they ruptured and repaired the fiber optic cable. So, I'd guess that means a work stop until the fiber optic people inspect and certify the repair.

Sad day... With any luck it'll all get put together quickly. Failing that, I'm glad to know there's a Tesla Friendly Nissan dealership nearby.

I bought a 2013 CPO 85 with this same mentality. AP would have been nice but I enjoy driving and now with AP2.0 I don't regret my decision. You should be able to score a CPO for under $50k easy (I did and there were several options).

There are several for $48K that are roughly what i'm looking for. I'm not terribly worried about cost, as I can swing anything under $80K, but i've always had a thing against buying brand new cars... I'd much rather buy something used with some nice features (stereo, all weather package, bigger battery, etc) than to spend an arm and a leg to get a base model.

If it weren't for the fact that the earlier Model S didn't even have adaptive cruise, it'd be a no-brainer for me... I'll likely spend a lot of time with AP off during my test drive, just to spend some time getting a feel for the car over long distances.

Yes, I asked them to shutoff power at the disconnect when not in use.
There are several filters, which clog up when power is available to the charger with the fans running continuously.
Kept having overheat problems requiring a maintenance crew come out to replace the filters.
Please make sure to to disconnect power at the wall when charging is completed.

Thanks,
Joe

In my opinion Wolfchase Nissan would be the best place to stop. It's right near a mall and plenty of restaurants. The staff are quite friendly towards EV charging; I once had to ask them to power on the CHAdeMO charger as it had been shut off at the breaker. Since this stop is right off I-40 on your way into Memphis it would be a good place to kill time if traffic is bad (since the new I-40/240 connector isn't done just yet).

A fair alternate would be Landers Nissan off I-55 just on the other side of the TN-MS border. I don't have any experience there but from what you can find on PlugShare it looks quite favorable.
es

Sunday afternoon update. Nothing has changed. Better (daylight) picture of fiber optic cable with what looks to me like a poorly done patch. Again, i would bet there's a work stop until they put out the repair to bid and have it repaired correctly. Then they can fill the trench, make the connection, power up and activate the unit. And finish the landscaping, repair the sidewalk. The line, IIRC, belongs to the city and used used to keep the traffic lights coordinated. Only been there ~ 1 year. Unfortunately, if it is indeed owned by the city, the process of repair likely includes requires multiple bids, at least 1 having to be by minority or woman owned, and if they don't choose woman/minority owned they have to document why. I wouldn't be surprised if this takes 3 months. Lightning might have struck.
IMG_3316.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
Yeah, I was there at 3 PM today. Nothing changed. Nothing at all. No work, fiber optic same, trench same, no connection to power lines up on pole. Met a guy driving thru from Texas though. Not a TMC member.

Lastly, the trench they hand dug to the power pole, left open, is now eroding down hill, causing a mud slide into the connectors and the parking spaces. Looks to have started undermining the concrete pad the chargers/switch gear sitting in. Not neat at all.

Addendum: went looking on the city's website, see if a bid was accepted or even requested for repair of this fiber optic cable. Don't see one. The City of Memphis > Business > RFPs & RFQs

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bluefuego
This is posted on the link bluefuego linked to....
**THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED**

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming event. This event has been postponed to a later date. We will keep you informed of the new date once scheduled. Alternatively, you can view other events in your area or schedule a test drive at your nearest Tesla location:

Stopped by again. 1/2 the area cleaned up, 1/2 of it covered with sod. Power connection at pole completed up to power wires. METER PRESENT, no reading on digital screen. Fiber optic same, trench still open. Plastic still covering connectors. No labels.

So, progress except fiber optic. Looks to me like city is allowing them to finish all except trench before fiber optic repair. So, maybe done by Saturday after all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 112
They've made further progress although slight. They filled in the trench over the fiber optic cable (with stone), finished the power connection. Meter is active, alternatively demonstrating "0000000" and "8888888" Transformer is humming, which it wasn't on Thursday. They put some berms where the rain was eroding the site. The stanchions (correct term?) aren't labeled, no safety screws, but now there is a thick grey rubber band holding the plastic bags on (which wasn't there Thursday). No one working at 1130 Saturday. Cold, clear skies here today, severe thunderstorms yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3359.JPG
    IMG_3359.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG