Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And by my count, we now have at least four different local cars, with multiple attempts at each of the stalls, and nobody has reported a normal supercharging rate.

So either we have geofencing, ( which has been speculated but like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster nobody has definitive proof) or this is a defective installation.

I think if geofencing were real, we'd have heard about it before now.

I'm here at the charger right now trying it out for the first time. I started at 184 miles and I'm up to 220 as of now. It's charging at 40-41kw. I'm at stall 1A. This by far the slowest charging I've gotten.

I live in Olive Branch, so I'm not sure if they would consider me local or not.

I'm here at the charger right now trying it out for the first time. I started at 184 miles and I'm up to 220 as of now. It's charging at 40-41kw. I'm at stall 1A. This by far the slowest charging I've gotten.

I live in Olive Branch, so I'm not sure if they would consider me local or not.
I don't know what size battery you have, but let's see: 220 miles out of approximately 265 rated would be about 83% battery state of charge. 83 + 41kW is 124. That's not out of line. It should add up to somewhere near 120. The rate is probably just low because your battery is pretty full.

I don't know what size battery you have, but let's see: 220 miles out of approximately 265 rated would be about 83% battery state of charge. 83 + 41kW is 124. That's not out of line. It should add up to somewhere near 120. The rate is probably just low because your battery is pretty full.
Can you explain that? Where are those numbers from (the "near 120" by adding charge rate and battery percentage)

Originally there was going to be an event for the launch of the Memphis SpC but it got cancelled with the delays. Does anyone know if that event is going to be rescheduled? And would anyone have interest in doing a meetup now that we've got our SpC online?

Also fun side note, my UMC failed last night (onboard self-test fail, two red lights) so I'm especially glad this Supercharger is online now (even if it is running slow) otherwise I'd be SOL until the replacement arrives.

Originally there was going to be an event for the launch of the Memphis SpC but it got cancelled with the delays. Does anyone know if that event is going to be rescheduled? And would anyone have interest in doing a meetup now that we've got our SpC online?

Also fun side note, my UMC failed last night (onboard self-test fail, two red lights) so I'm especially glad this Supercharger is online now (even if it is running slow) otherwise I'd be SOL until the replacement arrives.
A few STL folks might be willing come down if there is an event. Just sayin'...

Can you explain that? Where are those numbers from (the "near 120" by adding charge rate and battery percentage)
It's a rule of thumb for the charging rate at Superchargers versus the state of charge for the battery that accounts for the tapering effect as the battery gets more and more full. Those numbers hold pretty true throughout the whole charging range of the 85/90kwh batteries. I haven't seen if the constant factor is different for the 60/70/75 size or not. I first heard this from a long time forum user named @Bighorn who is mostly on the Tesla.com site.
Take the percent state of charge of your battery and add it to the Supercharger rate in kW. Those added together will usually be in the 120's. That generally holds true all the way from empty to full, because as the battery % gets higher, it has to keep slowing the charging rate, so it just happens to work out that way that the sum of those numbers stays pretty constant. That way you can tell if your charging rate is appropriate or slow for some reason.

It's a rule of thumb for the charging rate at Superchargers versus the state of charge for the battery that accounts for the tapering effect as the battery gets more and more full. Those numbers hold pretty true throughout the whole charging range of the 85/90kwh batteries. I haven't seen if the constant factor is different for the 60/70/75 size or not. I first heard this from a long time forum user named @Bighorn who is mostly on the Tesla.com site.
Take the percent state of charge of your battery and add it to the Supercharger rate in kW. Those added together will usually be in the 120's. That generally holds true all the way from empty to full, because as the battery % gets higher, it has to keep slowing the charging rate, so it just happens to work out that way that the sum of those numbers stays pretty constant. That way you can tell if your charging rate is appropriate or slow for some reason.
I pretty much sussed out that's what you were doing, just wondered if there's any science to it to explain the constant proportion.

A few STL folks might be willing come down if there is an event. Just sayin'...
I'm working this weekend but I think it would be great to have a get together. Any votes: this weekend vs next Saturday, or some other day?

And, Osiris ... I guess that was you charging when I drove thru at 1215; I checked out the site but didn't charge?

And anyone from Tesla or contractor - the mud pit to the south (i.e. the right when you are facing the street) of the charging cabinets needs to be covered. Landscaper, IMO, overlooked it. Foreman was sitting in the truck facing away from this area so I don't think they saw it. But its there and starting to turn into a river of mud.

I'm working this weekend but I think it would be great to have a get together. Any votes: this weekend vs next Saturday, or some other day?

And, Osiris ... I guess that was you charging when I drove thru at 1215; I checked out the site but didn't charge?

And anyone from Tesla or contractor - the mud pit to the south (i.e. the right when you are facing the street) of the charging cabinets needs to be covered. Landscaper, IMO, overlooked it. Foreman was sitting in the truck facing away from this area so I don't think they saw it. But its there and starting to turn into a river of mud.
Other than some last minute shopping, I'm free the next few Saturdays. If you need a vote, I say next Sat. 12/17/16

I pretty much sussed out that's what you were doing, just wondered if there's any science to it to explain the constant proportion.
Don't need to know exactly why, but the general phenomenon seems to be pretty common to rechargeable batteries that they have to slow the charge rate as they get fuller. Case in point:
I have one of those portable battery packs to recharge phones. It has two outputs--1A and 2.1A--but it can't support output on both at full rate. It will blink the LED and not run. The manual for it mentions this will be the case if both phones are low on battery. It says to charge just one of the phones for a while until it is more than half full, and then its output will be reduced enough that you should be able to hook up the second phone to finish charging both of them.

Reactions: efusco
Over here at the supercharger now, Tesla reps from Nashville are here doing some test drives for prospective customers in town. Got to test drive a XP90D while my lowly S85 was charging.

Things of interest, they know the Memphis SpC is underperforming (the rep wasn't sure why) and they don't know anything about a Little Rock SpC unfortunately.

Oh and also, for all of y'all with insane or ludicrous mode I'm quite jealous now (and thankful since I'd have a speeding ticket within first day).

IMG_2734.PNG
Here now charging. Made it from the Birmingham SC in my S85 with 5% battery left. I drafted on autopilot and averaged 279W/hr.

Temp dropped to 45 degrees and I killed the heat just in case. When I parked I got the message about the battery temp being reduced because of temp.

Trying out the Italian restaurant out while my car charges.

So much for all the slow charging conspiracies.
I don't understand this response. The question has been, if you're using the term conspiracy to describe intentional limitation of charge speed, if they're intentionally keeping locals charge speed slow, or if there's an instal problem at this site.

A guy from Seattle isn't local. So, if PlusEV gets a high rate at the same time a local gets a slow rate, that actually confirms the conspiracy theory. However, if everyone is now getting a high rate, then that suggest there was a problem, which has been fixed.

Will be heading to Little Rock from Chicago tomorrow. Any good BBQ places walking distance from this SuperCharger?
Walking distance not so much, but a very short Uber ride (<2 miles) would take you to a few.

Corky's is a little to the west on Poplar (just on the other side of East I-240), that's a pretty good crowdpleaser as they cater to most types of BBQ.

Pyro's (in the SpC parking lot) is a local pizza chain that merges Subway/Chipotle style ordering with pizza which is worth checking out.