Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Menlo Park, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2019, 18 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Living near Mountain View, the home of Tesla HQ, you will get lots of advantages. Although I think Dublin is about to get it's 6th Supercharger in that same radius. I am not going to complain about the lack of East Bay chargers since I can hit the Alameda Supercharger with a Frisbie from my roof. That's the OTHER embarrassment of riches one can have.

-Randy

Reactions: wemetzger
Update: The trench across the parking lot has been filled and paved over, but it’s still unfinished in front of Starbucks. Chargers look done but the stalls are still fenced off and there’s some paving work that needs to be done in front of them, so my guess is we’re looking at another few days of construction at least.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
116EB3A5-3B7C-41A7-A5B9-619740AC1F42.jpeg
Not a lot of progress to date this month… still needs final paving to be completed.

Reactions: SMAlset
Looks like they've installed the conduit and bases for an additional 4 supercharger cabinets (look behind the charging posts in the foreground of the picture immediately above). So this site may open with a future expansion to 18 stalls already lined up.

There's also signs of construction for 20x Urban Superchargers in Palo Alto (at the Stanford Shopping Center), which should hopefully avoid these chargers being overloaded. Supercharger - Palo Alto - Stanford Shopping Center (Construction started Jul 2019, 20 Urban Stalls)

Weird that they're basically on the same road and only 2 miles apart! Shows how the Urban Supercharger network will start filling in gaps in areas with higher density of Tesla owners.
Depending on time of day it could easily take 10 min or more to get between these two SC’s

Thanks for all the updates and photos. As for distance between neighboring locations, not everyone is running errands over towards 101 or Stanford Shopping Center. Imagine that particular location could be like Cupertino or Sunnyvale at times with shoppers and people needing a charge. Conveniences but busy because of them.

As for this location, there’s Foothill College off 280 for example and people coming from SF on 280 southbound or vice versa and those heading to the coast who could be best served by this location. We use to head to the parks off 280 on weekends to hike there. We have friends we visit every so often up in Los Altos Hills and if need of a charge would be more convenient for us. Sure at some point we’ll stop there when open.

Depending on time of day it could easily take 10 min or more to get between these two SC’s

Exactly this. Distance proximity is not the same as time proximity. The Peninsula is long and skinny, with 280 running down one side of the populated area and 101 down the other side. Every point on 280 is no more than 2-4 miles from the nearest point on 101, but I could drive 20 miles North or South on 280 in the time it takes to cross a few miles East from 280 over to 101. Stanford Shopping Center and El Camino Real are about halfway between the two freeways, but not really close time-wise to either freeway.

This location fills the gaps in the 280 freeway commute, the Stanford one fills in the local urban drivers who are not hitting the freeways.

Reactions: Ulmo and Janus
They are a nice pair of chargers. Completely different shopping locations!

Stanford Mall is now super upscale, but is absolutely beautiful as the flowers are artfully done. They also have a number of decent places to eat.

The strip mall is well a strip mall. But you can go to Safeway, CVS, Starbucks, get your hair cut, a bakery, etc...

Neither are immediately off the freeway, but close enough...

Entire caged area was resealed and lines painted yesterday.

There’s also one equipment pad on the south [east] end of the construction site that has open conduit, and then the four north chargers also have open (but capped?) conduit behind them I’m not an electrical guy so I don’t know what they could be.

61133DB2-8CB3-4682-942C-16C2E27517C1.jpeg 6053A5B0-7D10-43C4-85DE-D90CA8C0475D.jpeg