Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Menomonie, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each V3 cabinet is capable of receiving 350 kW AC input from the grid and another 575 kW DC input from its neighboring cabinets (up to 7 cabinets can share with one another), battery storage, and/or solar.

A single cabinet, 4 stall installation with no solar or battery storage would max out at 87.5 kW per car if the site was full. A two cabinet, 8 stall installation with no solar or battery storage would also max out at 87.5 kW per car if the site was full. These numbers increase with solar and/or battery storage depending on how much is available.

Many sites, despite having enough cabinet capacity, are limited by the transformer that feeds the site. I've seen 8 stall V3s on a 500 kVA transformer, which would effectively restrict vehicles to 62.5 kW each if the site was full.

Of course, as vehicles approach full and ramp down their charge rates, more power becomes available for other vehicles. So in practice, it's rate for users of V3 sites to experience throttling and that will become even less frequent as Tesla adds solar and/or batteries to busy sites. Since V3 sites share power between cabinets, users really don't have to think about where they plug in, since power can be directed anywhere. Gone are the days of A-B pairing, which is great.
Good post, this explains the charge behavior that I had at a V3 one time:
Screenshot from 2021-08-06 16-36-35.png

The site was completely slammed with a small line of cars waiting. I suspect the jumps in output come from people unplugging before the next car arrived.

It seems like this will ultimately be a rare occurrence at V3s. There are ~3 other sites coming online within 150 miles of this site to help alleviate the burden. I do wonder if this type of sharing will cause some issues around holiday travel, though. Its almost impossible to keep up with demand on those days, and the system slowing down around the peak can't help.

It will be interesting to watch this year.

Reactions: emorog and Big Earl
Well I learned something new today - thanks for taking the time to explain! I guess it was a little foolish to assume that they would feed a site with a full 2MW from the grid. Typical 8-stall installs use a 1000kVA transformer though, right?

Unlikely, unless an expansion is planned. As each cabinet can draw 350 kW at most, a 750 KVA transformer is more than enough.

Reactions: Big Earl
This should allow people to skip eau claire which is the worst SC between msp and chi.
It is totally the worst. The last time I was there in May, 1 out of service, 1 stall occupied, and my car wouldn't charge on the other 6. I had to do a hard reset to charge, and still wouldn't charge over 50kw. No problems with Mauston, Oakdale, or Madison (at East Towne Mall). The other time I used it I had slower charge speeds 3 years ago as well.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart and VikH
via the Tesla Club WI Facebook group, construction looks complete from the contractors side. The long pull is always final city approval on the install and the local utility company doing their part. Then Tesla can come out and do their last bit of work... No ETA

Reactions: PStewart