Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Merced, CA - Martin Luther King Junior Way (LIVE 9 Mar 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been checking the City of Merced’s monthly posts of new building permits for about two years. November just came out, and still no Supercharger for Merced, which has been “coming soon” on tesla.com for years now. I take the scenic route from Placerville to Fresno and points south via Hwy 49/Hwy 4/O’Byrnes Ferry Rd/La Grange Road. It’s a beautiful drive and a more direct routing than taking 99, but with my Model X 75 I get to the Fresno supercharger on fumes (sparks?). Merced is critical to making this drive stress-free and I’m frustrated that there’s no apparent progress. Does anyone have any insight on Tesla’s plans for Merced?

Reactions: CO_MY
No insight, though my best guess on location is the new development at 99 and Campus Parkway. As that’s still a dirt lot with nothing in the way of progress beyond a Hilton “coming soon” sign, I’m guessing nothing is imminent.

I’ve often thought the Super Target in Atwater would be another logical site for this “Merced” supercharger (there are some EVgo stations there now), but no progress there either and the Applegate overpass and on-ramp situation there is a real mess.

FWIW the "coming soon" Tesla map marker for Merced is gone now. It has been gone for at least a month.
I guess it's back. That's great.
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.05.57 PM.png

Reactions: Janus
Nice find. The MLK exit is a bit of a mess (at least getting off when heading south like you say), but location wise you couldn’t get much closer to the freeway.

That’s the Smart & Final parking lot. $75k seems on the low side for a decent-sized v3 station. Maybe only 8 stalls?

Reactions: MarcoRP and 1100MCM
That’s the Smart & Final parking lot. $75k seems on the low side for a decent-sized v3 station. Maybe only 8 stalls?
More likely it's only going to have urban charging stations. I think every supercharger station I've seen has started at $150k+ (not sure about urban stations though). Ironically there's another charging station being installed at Savemart on 1300 W Olive Ave valued at $100k with 4 stalls, listed right below the Tesla permit and filed only one day after:
Untitled.png

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
More likely it's only going to have urban charging stations. I think every supercharger station I've seen has started at $150k+ (not sure about urban stations though). Ironically there's another charging station being installed at Savemart on 1300 W Olive Ave valued at $100k with 4 stalls, listed right below the Tesla permit and filed only one day after:
View attachment 636759
That address lines up with a planned Electrify America L3.

Regarding the Tesla SC; we'll have to see once the construction gets a little farther along. Sometimes the prices on permits are not correct.

View attachment 636759
Yea that would certainly be unconventional. Looking outside of the LA/Orange County metro areas, SF Bay Area, or San Diego County there doesn’t seem to be any urban chargers outside of the urban or suburban core. Big Sur seems to be one of the few exceptions and I guess if you don’t count Watsonville or Ojai or places like that as suburbs of the bigger cities then those are also rare exceptions too, although the latter two are not on a large interstate or major state artery.

Reactions: ucmndd and Janus
View attachment 636759

I think most likely it’s either a small 8-stall v3 station or the price is just wrong. I can’t see any rational reason why this station would be of the urban variety. It’s not urban. There’s no particular retail draw in the area save the aforementioned fast food and discount grocery store. It’s literally adjacent to a major transportation corridor.

Terrible pic, I didn’t want to get off the freeway, but feel free to zoom in and see if you can glean anything interesting. Lots of people on site, active work.

View attachment 637953
i can’t count them exactly when zooming in but it doesn’t look like 12 pedestal bases, a bit less than that, more like 8. Also there are two V3 cabinets sitting there so it’s highly likely to be 8 V3 stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1