TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Meriden, CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by JSergeant, May 14, 2018.

1. tinkererguy

tinkererguy Paul Braren TinkerTry.com/Tesla

#121 tinkererguy, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. CTM31991

CTM31991 Member

Wow! That's awesome. That confirms it is a v3.

3. tinkererguy

4. tga

tga Supporting Member

Can you get there without sitting in the perennial traffic jam on I-91 S leading to exit 17/Wilbur Cross Parkway?

5. fuzzzyhans

fuzzzyhans Member

Unfortunately not entirely. One still has to take the exit for the Wilbur, but the exit for the supercharger forks off from that.

Maybe if one tries exit 19 for Baldwin ave to Gravel street. I’d give that a shot if it’s particularly bad.

6. tga

tga Supporting Member

Thanks. That looks like a good option. Exit 18->Baldwin Ave->Bee St->East Main St. I'll try that the next time I visit my parents.

7. bleclair8281

bleclair8281 Member

I tried Exit 18-> Baldwin Ave -> Bee St -> East Main St last Monday returning home to NY from VT. It definitely shaved off a few minutes.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. tinkererguy

#128 tinkererguy, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    It seems that roughly 195 kW is as high as this location gets during these early days, with plastic bags covering several of the V3 chargers when I was there at 11:05pm on Feb 20, along with 3 other Teslas. Admittedly it was cold but my battery was warm with full regen.

150 kW cap seen in Fairfield Northbound I-95 North at the new V3 earlier the same evening, but it had warning of service issue, details:
    Supercharger - Fairfield

I wonder if any V3 Superchargers in CT have seen charge rates over 200 kW yet, even if only briefly. Will also be interesting to see how much-colder V3 Supercharging goes for these adventuresome Canadians:
    PRESS RELEASE: FAST EV LIGHTNING RUN - Tesla Owners Online

upload_2020-2-22_18-56-8.jpeg

9. tinkererguy

10. tinkererguy

Starting at 4% at 67F got this Model 3 to 247 kW, way back in August of 2019, in Hawthorne CA:

11. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

I got 206 kW at Fairfield, CT back on January 3rd at 14% SOC.

• Like x 1
  12. tinkererguy

Thank you for sharing the information.

13. joelliot

joelliot Member

Only 4 seemed to be working today, but two Tesla Energy vehicles where in the lot, so hopefully they are working on the issues.

14. tinkererguy

Yeah, was there at 12:50pm today, despite no plastic bags covering the dead ones, but I did find the one closest to the one-way exit did work. Unfortunately for travelers, the in-car display didn't say anything about reduced service, but I was the only car there, so no biggie.

Just a word of caution. Just as I was leaving, a pickup truck went into the one-way exit right near the Superchargers just as I was about to leave. He was going the wrong way. Gladly I was paying close attention and hit my brakes on time, but with high, sharp curbs around there , there is no way to swerve and avoid. I think he was just trying to shortcut the round-about way you get to this Dunkin' lot, where you have to go past it, enter the three-business-wide strip mall, entrance, follow Dunkin' drive through signs to go around the back. I lightly tapped my horn to let him know he made a mistake, he yelled something but the external GoPro mic didn't work. This horn tap also triggered the automatic save of the dashcam footage. Here's the short, (unlisted) 4K from GoPro clip, followed by the dashcam clip. Not the most exciting footage in the world, but if you're reading this forum I suspect you'll be visiting, so this is a PSA of sorts to caution you to be wary when exiting this location, since I suspect others might try to short-cut their entrance to this facility as well:

• Like x 1
  15. tinkererguy

I ate lunch inside, and the polite Dunkin' staff mentioned that it's gotten busier during mid-day when folks are charging at this new Tesla Supercharger location. She also mentioned that this Dunkin's drive-thru is open 24x7, but the bathroom is inside, so I think it was after 10pm that you'll need to walk to some other bathroom nearby, perhaps the gas station.

• Informative x 1
  16. North75

North75 Member

I charged here yesterday around 10 PM. Arrived with ~16% charge (50 mi range) on LR Model 3.
    Charge topped out at around 180 kW for a few minutes before slowly dropping. It was still pretty impressive. Charged from 50 to 200 miles range in about 13-14 minutes.

• Like x 3
  17. tinkererguy

Thank you for the reply! Would you happen to have any pictures, screenshots, or TeslaFi stats from that cJan 3 2020 V3 charging session? If you, you'll be the first person to share a documented V3 Supercharge in the Northeastern US.

18. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

#138 Big Earl, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Sure, I guess, even though this is the Meriden thread.

Hopefully this is sufficient despite not showing the date. I can screenshot my photo album if you need the date, but that seems unnecessary.

99A9A93A-F2C7-4DC3-8868-6F35F66EBB18.jpeg
    Jan 3, 2020
    Fairfield, CT Southbound

19. tinkererguy

#139 tinkererguy, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Thank you! Turns out there was a Dec 20 2019 charge, and another on Dec 21 2019 charge with charge rate pics in Fairfield, unclear if I-95N or I-95S:
    Supercharger - Fairfield
    Sorry, you're right, this pic is in the wrong thread, didn't mean to derail the conversation.

20. tinkererguy

When I was there on Thu Feb 27 2020, I noticed that at least one station that used to have a bag over it still didn't work, so moved further toward the exit and it was operational.