Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Meriden, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Tesla’s website, they are only 150kW. I wonder if that is a typo though. They look like v3 cabinets.

09F36867-A269-4BCB-9AFC-D8CE0EEBF537.jpeg

Showed up in my nav today as "Temporary closure". I was in the area, so I stopped there about 30 minutes ago. Tesla tech was onsite. He was able to power on the left four stalls (the same ones that were on the other day) and said he was gonna try to get the right four stalls turned on. I charged for only about 10 minutes or so and he was still working on it when I left, so I did not get to see if he was able to turn the other ones on as well.

Also, stalls have been numbered left to right: 1A (head-in spot), 1B, 1C, 1D, (2A, 2B, 2C, 2D)

Untitled.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if all of the 1's are tied together and all of the 2's are tied together, meaning you share amongt all of A,B,C,D instead of just A,B...

yes. There are 2 big white SuperCharger cabinets. Each appears to control 4 stalls.

These are “v3” chargers but apparently there is only enough power coming from the grid to get each cabinet up to about 600 kW, so the stalls are being limited to 150 kW (which explains why Tesla’s website lists them at 150 kW, not 250 kW).

However, one advantage of v3 cabinets is that they *should* still provide the maximum amount of 150 kW when all stalls are being used at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlSagan
yes. There are 2 big white SuperCharger cabinets. Each appears to control 4 stalls.

These are “v3” chargers but apparently there is only enough power coming from the grid to get each cabinet up to about 600 kW, so the stalls are being limited to 150 kW (which explains why Tesla’s website lists them at 150 kW, not 250 kW).

However, one advantage of v3 cabinets is that they *should* still provide the maximum amount of 150 kW when all stalls are being used at the same time.
Here's the 150 kW Meriden Supercharger listing on tesla.com:
Meriden, CT Supercharger | Tesla
This is disappointing, but logical. Anybody notice if Tesla has confirmed this 150 kW limitation for some V3 sites somewhere?

Curious if anybody has noticed yet if it's common for other V3 locations to be listed as 150 kW as well?

Went to Darien's I-95 Northbound V3 last night, got to 178 kW, nobody else there:
Meriden, CT Supercharger | Tesla
my Model 3 LR AWD chose it automatically on my way home, and preconditioned about 15 minutes before arriving. I hope the navigation algorithm favors 250 kW sites, my experience have been just by chance.

On the bright side, seeing so many V2/V3 Superchargers glowing red prominently at rest stops along I-95 when heading from NYC up through CT at night makes it so convenient, this is progress! I also know that friends and family notice (and ask) about such cues...

Reactions: JWardell

In the car map Meriden appears as 250kW, so I still believe the entry in the web site is just an error. Anyway, the cabinets cannot supply 1MW or even 600kW, but they can dynamically allocate power between the four stalls connected to them.

In the car map Meriden appears as 250kW, so I still believe the entry in the web site is just an error. Anyway, the cabinets cannot supply 1MW or even 600kW, but they can dynamically allocate power between the four stalls connected to them.
Ah yes, so if all stalls tried to start full speed 250 kW charging at once (such as Model 3 LR and soon Model Y), it wouldn’t be able to handle that concurrently, but I doubt this sort of coincidence is likely to ever happen, so it seems to be an ok design choice. Good to see in car map working now too.
F21AD54E-2EB0-4701-81EE-8A1561F89F80.jpeg

Ah yes, so if all stalls tried to start full speed 250 kW charging at once (such as Model 3 LR and soon Model Y), it wouldn’t be able to handle that concurrently, but I doubt this sort of coincidence is likely to ever happen, so it seems to be an ok design choice. Good to see in car map working now too.View attachment 511876
Supercharged there today around noon. Very busy with many New York and New Jersey folks grabbing a quick charge on their way through Connecticut. Its a great supercharger.

And ... the cabinets share power with one another across a common DC bus. Power from all cabinets can feed all stalls. It truly doesn’t matter where you plug in.

As for the 1MW transformer being a limiting factor, that is true. However, solar and battery storage can also be placed on the common DC bus, supplementing what’s available from the grid.

And ... the cabinets share power with one another across a common DC bus. Power from all cabinets can feed all stalls. It truly doesn’t matter where you plug in.

As for the 1MW transformer being a limiting factor, that is true. However, solar and battery storage can also be placed on the common DC bus, supplementing what’s available from the grid.
Footnote: At this V3 site, the transformer is labeled "750 KVA", as seen in the pic I took back on Dec 12 2019:
Supercharger - Meriden, CT

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl