Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Meriden, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 13th all good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200313-153407_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200313-153407_Tesla.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 96
On March 29 2020, less than a minute into my V3 Supercharge session in Meriden, I was starting at 21% state of charge and 70°F outdoor temps and my battery fully warmed (no Preconditioning indicated or needed). In this situation, with only one other car at this 8 stall station, I saw a momentary peak at 246 kW (which for Model 3 LR AWD is 1005 mi/hr), so all seems to be well now that weather is warmer.

On March 31 2020, in the daytime, I returned. I found a stall broken, near the exit actually (unlike earlier reports of the 4 furthers from the exit being off). I wrapped the cable above the pump, and despite this, even with 4 other empty stalls right around it, another person backed in to that stall, unwrapped the cable, and plugged in, then quickly realize it did not charge, then put the cable back in the normal hanging position, so the next person won't know it doesn't work. I really wish there were a visual way to know which stalls aren't working, but I'm glad that the latest 2020.16.2.1 software does clearly show on screen how many stalls are out of order.
V3 246 kW and 1005 mph peak.png
Out of order stalls IMG_1902.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdreamer
The May 31 2020 5:54pm screenshot (above) that I took at Meriden says:
2 of 8 stalls available
2 stalls out of order

This means that all 6 functioning stalls were in use when I first arrived, but I actually only saw 5 cars charging. There's always a few minutes of lag before status updates. Also, when I actually started my charging on May 31 2020 at 6:03pm, there were still 5 cars charging at that time, but most of them left within 5 minutes. I suspect they weren't taking very much electricity at that point, so I doubt this 8 charging stall site was anywhere near the 750 kW rating of the site's transformer.

And ... the cabinets share power with one another across a common DC bus. Power from all cabinets can feed all stalls. It truly doesn’t matter where you plug in.

As for the 1MW transformer being a limiting factor, that is true. However, solar and battery storage can also be placed on the common DC bus, supplementing what’s available from the grid.
“…share power across a common bus”
Is this correct? Do you have a detailed resource to kindly share?
How does this work then? Does each stall have a DC-DC converter to convert from the bus voltage to the car voltage?
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks