TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Meridian, MS

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ItsNotAboutTheMoney, May 1, 2016.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

In New Shreveport, LA Supercharger StationStation @johngratcliff posted information about an expected Supercharger in Meridian, MS.

I think it merits a thread.

• Like x 1
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#2 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Interstates: I-20; also close to N end of I-59.
    US Highways (within 5 miles): US-11, US-45, US-80.
    I-20:
    - From Pearl,MS 90 miles
    - To End (I-95 at Florence, SC) 573 miles
    - 1 mile diversion

3. randall_s

randall_s Member

I live in Meridian and am excited about getting a Supercharger here. I was hoping the location would be at the Meridian Crossroads There are more (and possibly better) food options and it is a little closer to the interstate. The mall is still a good option, but I'm hoping they put it out front. That would give you access to both restaurants inside the mall as well as those out front (O'charley's, McAlister's, and CiCi's.) There is a food court towards the back of the Mall with a limited selection as well as a good Mexican restaurant. The movie theater is located next to the food court if you have the time to burn.

I'm drop by now and then to check on construction progress and post back.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

That sounds great, but let's not encourage someone to go to a movie while their car is parked at the supercharger. The car will be finished charging long before the movie is over.

• Like x 1
  5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Looks like the permit has been issued. There's a dot up on supercharge.info now.

6. emupilot

emupilot Member

The "permit" dot more generally means that the site has been chosen but it is not yet under construction. Most of the time a station has a blue dot it is under design or in the permitting process since construction usually begins soon after a permit is issued.

7. randall_s

randall_s Member

I drove around the mall area yesterday and didn't see any signs of construction. I also sent an email to city planning, requesting information about the site, but have not received a response yet.

8. randall_s

randall_s Member

I spoke with someone at the Meridian Community Development Department Planning Division. He confirmed the location at Bonita Lakes Mall and said it would be close to the food court entrance in the back.

9. wabbit

wabbit Member

Has anyone suggested the possibility of Tesla creating a parking area adjacent to superchargers where an autopilot valet mode would select a car based on first come first serve ranking.

Then the car would be moved to the next available charger and top off the battery (or have the choice option of amount of charge). As soon as the desired charge was reached autopilot valet mode would return the car to a spot to await the driver's return.

This could be coupled with an enclosed secure waiting area.

10. L.Robinson

L.Robinson Member

randall_s, have you been by the supposed site to see if there is any construction activity? This SC helps with filling in the I20 from Dallas to the East coast through Birmingham.

Thanks

11. randall_s

randall_s Member

L.Robinson, Yes. I drove thru yesterday and didn't see any construction.

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

O
    Or people could just return to their car when they have the charge they need.

13. wabbit

wabbit Member

Well yes of course but some locations are more congested and need charged cars to leave as soon as charged so the next person can get their turn. This way would be more efficient use of the chargers. move cars in order and relieve drivers of having to return when they are busy. Perhaps when charging was finished the car could page the driver too.

14. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Charged at Indianapolis Sunday and Wednesday. All by myself Sunday, and another arrived Wednesday while I was charging. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Indianapolis but Louisville and Nashville were about 50% utilized on Sunday, but just me on Wednesday.

15. Jkearns97062

Jkearns97062 Member

Excited that a SC will be available soon! Unfortunately for me, it may be too late. I was trying to plan a trip from my wife's family in Greenville to my uncle's place in Atlanta in late June. Even if the Meridian SC were installed, it's probably too far. If I could get to Birmingham, I could hopefully use the Chademo at the Nissan dealer.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a home charger a fellow Model S owner might use to tide us over? :)

Jerry

16. randall_s

randall_s Member

Jerry, there are campgrounds everywhere in MS; many with NEMA 14-50. With a quick look at google maps, I found Bonita Lakes RV Park and Lake Tom Bailey (Scenic). Both appear to have electrical hookups. Give them a call and see if they'll accommodate you. You could use my charger, but I don't know what I'll be doing then. PM me closer to your trip.

Lake Tom Bailey Campground | Visit Mississippi "hook-ups (22W, 22E), 30/50 amps"

17. Jkearns97062

Jkearns97062 Member

Great ideas. Thanks, Randall!

18. randall_s

randall_s Member

Spoke with city planning. The chargers will be located directly behind the food court. These are prime spots and the busiest at the mall because the movie theatre and food are here. So you won't find yourself alone in an empty lot. On the other hand, you might draw lots of attention. Not many Teslas in Meridian (one other that I know of). Lift kits are popular at the moment, so make sure to put your air suspension on high :D.

• Funny x 1
  19. L.Robinson

L.Robinson Member

Randall, any signs of construction activity at the presumed site of the Meridian SC?

Thanks

20. randall_s

randall_s Member

Nothing yet . Drove by yesterday. But I did finally receive my Model S and spent a week in Destin FL ! Totally amazing car!

• Like x 1