Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Merritt BC - De Wolf Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove through Mary browns drive-thru. There are a bunch of new superchargers being constructed.

46795CF3-9CA9-488C-BCC0-DBEAFB12E28F.jpeg

Maybe I am missing something here....but why does Merritt need a 3rd set of superchargers? I can think of other places around BC where we could extend the range northward.
Perhaps using this logic, Hope BC deserves a 3rd set too.
Hope had a 1st, a 2nd, and then the 2nd got expanded. So that's pretty similar.

It looks like this is only a 6-stall supercharger so it isn't exactly earth-shattering. Places like Hope and Merritt serve the vast majority of inland travel for people coming from the Vancouver area so they will always need to keep expanding as the number of Teslas there grows.

Hope had a 1st, a 2nd, and then the 2nd got expanded. So that's pretty similar.

It looks like this is only a 6-stall supercharger so it isn't exactly earth-shattering. Places like Hope and Merritt serve the vast majority of inland travel for people coming from the Vancouver area so they will always need to keep expanding as the number of Teslas there grows.
Also there is probably no potential for new Superchargers in places other than Hope and Merritt along these highway routes; the grid probably has no capacity for a Supercharger without very expensive transmission line upgrades. Hence there is little choice but to add capacity in places like Hope, Merritt, Kelowna and Kamloops.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Also there is probably no potential for new Superchargers in places other than Hope and Merritt along these highway routes; the grid probably has no capacity for a Supercharger without very expensive transmission line upgrades. Hence there is little choice but to add capacity in places like Hope, Merritt, Kelowna and Kamloops.
The Coq was pretty much built straight through the middle of nowhere, so other than the rest stop at Britton Creek (where BC Hydro tops off the low range CCS vehicles), there is literally nowhere to put a charger.

Maybe I am missing something here....but why does Merritt need a 3rd set of superchargers? I can think of other places around BC where we could extend the range northward.
Perhaps using this logic, Hope BC deserves a 3rd set too.
Hope already has a 3rd set (if you include the recent expansion of the Klassen Road Supercharger).

I was in Merritt on BC Day and there was a queue. The place was pretty so busy; so much so that Tesla hired some peeps to manage the queuing situation. Agreed, though, some more north *and west) of Prince George would be welcome. It doesn't have to be either/or!

Reactions: PLUS EV
Hope already has a 3rd set (if you include the recent expansion of the Klassen Road Supercharger).

I was in Merritt on BC Day and there was a queue. The place was pretty so busy; so much so that Tesla hired some peeps to manage the queuing situation. Agreed, though, some more north *and west) of Prince George would be welcome. It doesn't have to be either/or!
That must have been an interesting queuing situation with 2 superchargers so close to each other. Did they have people helping at both sites? I'm assuming both were full or else the people waiting in line weren't too bright!

I was there the BC Day long weekend as well (July 31st) and they had a "Tesla Valet" tent so I suspect they could move your car when a spot became free. Also, when it wasn't so busy they used cones to block off ever other stall on the V1 charger to avoid the lower charge rate of sharing. My biggest gripe was I was there at 11am and only Denny's and Burger King were open and there was a massive line for Denny's. On top of that the food options aren't great there to start with. I was interested in the Mary Brown's Chicken which has significantly higher ratings on Google but it was too far from the existing chargers so 6 stalls there doesn't seem like a bad thing.

I have to wonder if there is some strategies that Tesla (or drivers) could use when there are wait times at chargers. When Tesla has people organizing queues, could they not designate "express" lanes with a 10-15 minute maximum charge time (for those who just need a minimal top-up to get to Hope, Kelowna or Kamloops)? Drivers who need a longer charge or want to stop for a restaurant break would be in a separate line. Also could there be some active messaging for drivers charging in Hope, Kelowna or Kamloops to suggest charging to a higher level (and potentially being able to skip the Merritt chargers entirely)? Or maybe messaging drivers enroute that there are waits in Merritt with a suggestion that slowing down might enable them to avoid a wait in Merritt.

Reactions: iMoe
I have to wonder if there is some strategies that Tesla (or drivers) could use when there are wait times at chargers. When Tesla has people organizing queues, could they not designate "express" lanes with a 10-15 minute maximum charge time (for those who just need a minimal top-up to get to Hope, Kelowna or Kamloops)? Drivers who need a longer charge or want to stop for a restaurant break would be in a separate line. Also could there be some active messaging for drivers charging in Hope, Kelowna or Kamloops to suggest charging to a higher level (and potentially being able to skip the Merritt chargers entirely)? Or maybe messaging drivers enroute that there are waits in Merritt with a suggestion that slowing down might enable them to avoid a wait in Merritt.
Fantastic ideas. Some can be implemented in the charger2car interface. As an example, stall numbers x y z are limited to 15 minutes or less.

I was there the BC Day long weekend as well (July 31st) and they had a "Tesla Valet" tent so I suspect they could move your car when a spot became free. Also, when it wasn't so busy they used cones to block off ever other stall on the V1 charger to avoid the lower charge rate of sharing. My biggest gripe was I was there at 11am and only Denny's and Burger King were open and there was a massive line for Denny's. On top of that the food options aren't great there to start with. I was interested in the Mary Brown's Chicken which has significantly higher ratings on Google but it was too far from the existing chargers so 6 stalls there doesn't seem like a bad thing.
Did anyone take pictures of this Tesla Valet? Sounds pretty cool.

Back in the old days there was no supercharger at Merritt. My model S with an 85 pack could make it to Kelowna in the summer. Remember that downhill run into Kelowna will put you on the plus side with all the regen.
The nav should suggest alternatives if a station is busy. Alternatively driving through Princeton is an option if you final destination is south of Kelowna. Perhaps a larger charge at Hope would have you only spend 15 minutes topping up in Merritt.