Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Metairie, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used this charger this morning. As a point of reference, I have a November 2018 100D; when I plugged in, it was ~11AM sunny and 93F, I had just driven 200 miles and input this site as my destination, at arrival I was about 30% SOC, my car shot up to 190 kW and stayed there for a few seconds before drifting down to 150, where it stayed for a few minutes and then drifted down slowly to 93W 20 minutes later when I disconnected. Fans were screaming at the car, the electrical equipment, and the connector itself. I was the only car charging until the last 5 minutes.

Planning to stay in Metairie in June on my 50 state tour. Probably won't need the SpC, but looking for authentic Cajun food (not the tourist fare). And, should I drive to the French Quarter or local transport?
BTW, any restaurant in New Orleans that describes itself as a Cajun restaurant is likely tourist fare. Go to R&Os if you want to eat good LA food with local folks.

• Love
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
uptownrouler said "BTW, any restaurant in New Orleans that describes itself as a Cajun restaurant is likely tourist fare. Go to R&Os if you want to eat good LA food with local folks."
---------------------------------
Brother, you hit the nail on the head. I am sooo tired of all these "authentic traditional" places which are no more authentic nor traditional than non itchy woolen undewear or " instant Cafe au Lait ". Sorry, I grossed myself out.

Do I miss the days of T. Pittari's, Broussard's, Tuourci's, Sal & Sam's, The original Morning Call and Cafe du Monde, and all the rest of the places where I spent my youth and added to my waistline.

-- Doc
Who used to live at the corner of St. Philip and Rampart, and ate at Johnny's 3 days a week.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
I was wondering the same thing. Just checked my display and New Orleans and Slidell are down. Baton Rouge and Lafayette are both up. I really feel terrible for the folks down there in the hot, wet bayou that are without electricity.
Slidell was down when I looked yesterday, but it's been up on my Nav today. I'm not in the area currently though so no on the ground info. I'll be very curious to see when Metarie gets back online.

I’m traveling to NOLA tomorrow from southwest Louisiana for work (storm recovery). My destination will have a large (industrial size) generator powering the buildings. They‘ll also provide free gasoline fir my return trip.

This is my first storm season with a Tesla so I’m anxious about traveling. She’s a long range model y. Do y’all think I should borrow a gas powered vehicle so I don’t have to worry about charging?

I’m traveling to NOLA tomorrow from southwest Louisiana for work (storm recovery). My destination will have a large (industrial size) generator powering the buildings. They‘ll also provide free gasoline fir my return trip.

This is my first storm season with a Tesla so I’m anxious about traveling. She’s a long range model y. Do y’all think I should borrow a gas powered vehicle so I don’t have to worry about charging?

They're beginning to reenergize some parts of New Orleans. Good chance electricity will be easier to find than gasoline.

They're beginning to reenergize some parts of New Orleans. Good chance electricity will be easier to find than gasoline.

It took 3 weeks to get power after Laura last year; some places took 4-6 weeks. I don’t want to assume there will be super chargers when I get there.

Gasoline won’t be a problem for me because my employer will have a bulk tank for employees to fill personal vehicles for free.

Reactions: jsight
It took 3 weeks to get power after Laura last year; some places took 4-6 weeks. I don’t want to assume there will be super chargers when I get there.

Gasoline won’t be a problem for me because my employer will have a bulk tank for employees to fill personal vehicles for free.
I would go with the gasoline option, just to be safe. This really could be a uniquely easy place to get stranded due to the number and severity of unknowns.
Also, I may have this wrong (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if so) but I think some generators do not produce AC current in the expected square wave. Teslas may not charge from some of those.

1. How far is your drive?
2. How much do you expect to drive while there?
3. Does the building (the one running on a generator) have an external outlet (even 120 V) that you could plug into while there?
4. What is your route and are there any working Superchargers along that route?

According to the Nav, the only non-functioning supercharger is Metarie, which didn't even exist 3 months ago anyway. So the supercharger network is effectively unchanged. That being said, I'm sure backup L2 charging options would be limited. Like the previous poster said, it really depends on how much you drive while you are there. If you're just trying to get there and back, it should be relatively easy by just stopping at the last functioning supercharger on your route and charging to full (and then stopping there again on the way back).

Reactions: jsight
Sounds like if you just have to get there and get back, you’re probably good between supercharging and L1 destination charging. If you have to drive a bunch while there, gas would probably be a better option. You probably don’t want to be a liability to your employer if they are providing gas.