Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Metter, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
For anyone traveling from Atlanta (or midwest US) to Savannah or eastern Florida there is a pretty big hole on I-16. It is about 170 miles from Macon to Savannah. There is a proposal for one in Metter and listed as coming soon in 18. However it has been listed as coming for a few years and each year gets another “coming this year”. Now that Georgia is starting to get a little SC love is there any hope this will finally get off the ground?

Also wish they had built the Savannah Supercharger at the I-95/GA-204 exit instead of the airport.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 5.49.16 AM.png

For anyone traveling from Atlanta (or midwest US) to Savannah or eastern Florida there is a pretty big hole on I-16. It is about 170 miles from Macon to Savannah. There is a proposal for one in Metter and listed as coming soon in 18. However it has been listed as coming for a few years and each year gets another “coming this year”. Now that Georgia is starting to get a little SC love is there any hope this will finally get off the ground?

Also wish they had built the Savannah Supercharger at the I-95/GA-204 exit instead of the airport.

View attachment 320399

I keep hoping that all of a sudden the SC pops up in Metter.

Yes, the SC at the Savannah airport is not very convenient; one at I95/204 would be ideal.

I keep hoping that all of a sudden the SC pops up in Metter.

Yes, the SC at the Savannah airport is not very convenient; one at I95/204 would be ideal.
Also the Metter SC might be a better location to do it on I16/US1. While less amenities it is closer to ½ way between Macon and Savannah. Plus it would be closer to the Interstate exit.

I'm really not trying to get anyone's hopes up here, but when I was driving by the Metter exit last night around 11pm I saw something in the backlot of the McDonalds/Days Inn type area that almost (from the Interstate) looked like some superchargers that weren't yet fired up and glowing red. Again, I was just on the interstate, but the location appeared to be about:

Google Maps

I'm not going to be going by there again on my return trip, but if anyone is close they could check that out. It would be a surprise for them to get to the point of being almost ready to energize without anyone catching this, but anything is possible.

I'm really not trying to get anyone's hopes up here, but when I was driving by the Metter exit last night around 11pm I saw something in the backlot of the McDonalds/Days Inn type area that almost (from the Interstate) looked like some superchargers that weren't yet fired up and glowing red. Again, I was just on the interstate, but the location appeared to be about:

Google Maps

I'm not going to be going by there again on my return trip, but if anyone is close they could check that out. It would be a surprise for them to get to the point of being almost ready to energize without anyone catching this, but anything is possible.

That's an excellent location. And since its just over 200 miles from my house would really work for a top-off (with meal) before proceeding to Savannah instead of stopping at both Macon and Savannah Airport, as we do now. We only have 120v access down there, so can't arrive with a nearly empty battery.

I'm going to be driving past there in a week, and I'll try to remember to stop and check.
However, no news on supercharge.info concerning Metter.
I'm also going to check the status of the "under construction" supercharger station at I-75x265 in Macon, since that's more convenient than the current station in downtown Macon.
It surely would be nice to just have to stop at Metter on the way down to Savannah and Macon on the way back to Atlanta.

That's an excellent location. And since its just over 200 miles from my house would really work for a top-off (with meal) before proceeding to Savannah instead of stopping at both Macon and Savannah Airport, as we do now. We only have 120v access down there, so can't arrive with a nearly empty battery.

I'm going to be driving past there in a week, and I'll try to remember to stop and check.
However, no news on supercharge.info concerning Metter.
I'm also going to check the status of the "under construction" supercharger station at I-75x265 in Macon, since that's more convenient than the current station in downtown Macon.
It surely would be nice to just have to stop at Metter on the way down to Savannah and Macon on the way back to Atlanta.

I drove by there a week or so back and I think my late night vision was previously playing tricks on me. In the daylight I didn't see anything that resembled superchargers. (I think I was previously seeing a fenced-off transformer or something behind the McDonalds).

But, ya, anxiously awaiting it. We can Macon to Kingsland (skipping Savannah) if we really really top off at the starting point, but Metter would be a spectacular place for one. Come'on T!

A nice option in Savannah that you may not have considered is some of the downtown city-owned parking garages. There are 4 different garages that each have a pair of 48A Tesla destination chargers. The chargers are free to use but you have to pay for parking. Parking is $1/hour but they have flat rate fees of $2 after 5pm. That means you could theoretically fill up a model 3 battery overnight for only $2 which is cheaper than a paid supercharger. You'd just need a way to get to and from wherever you're staying while the car is charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
Follow up to the previous message. The Savannah parking decks now have signs that say "LIMITED TO THREE HOURS VIOLATORS WILL BE CITED". I was able to charge at 48A for 3 hours and add about 120 miles of range but it's not as convenient if using 3 hour increments.

Anyone have any word on this? I'm about to buy a Model 3 and travel from ATL to SAV a lot. Really "need'" this one since I often go south of The Airport and don't want to be "forced" to use Macon and then Sav. airport. Going to get an AWD but how would someone deal with this in a Standard+, especially during winter? Seems this hole needs to finally be filled instead of just changing the "Coming 20xx" every year.

Anyone have any word on this? I'm about to buy a Model 3 and travel from ATL to SAV a lot. Really "need'" this one since I often go south of The Airport and don't want to be "forced" to use Macon and then Sav. airport. Going to get an AWD but how would someone deal with this in a Standard+, especially during winter? Seems this hole needs to finally be filled instead of just changing the "Coming 20xx" every year.

For SR+, people will definitely be stopping in Macon and Savannah airport and throwing a big charge in before starting the trip on I-16, and also moderating their speed.

Savannah Airport is OK once you understand how to find the Superchargers (in Economy parking). Tesla pay for the parking.
Nice walk to the terminal building and most hours there's coffee and snacks open inside, up the escalators.

If you are heading south on I-95, it is possible to drive from Macon to Kingsland, but probably prudent to stop at Savannah airport for a top-up.

Last edited:
The Tesla supercharging location in Metter GA is moving along. Can't say how I know, but it's happening. Be patient for a little longer.

If you are passing by there, pretty soon you should start hunting for signs of construction.

If you have info is there any chance it will be V3 and about how many stalls? I guessing 6 to 8 stalls would be a good amount for growth since it is not an overly busy route. Also I would LOVE to pass by there in June (of course not stop yet but would pull off to look/see if there is some evidence to see/photo) in my Model 3. Only hold up now is GETTING my ordered car. Come on Tesla. If not will have to "bum" it in my ELR using the generator and "working" the steering wheel.

If you have info is there any chance it will be V3 and about how many stalls? I guessing 6 to 8 stalls would be a good amount for growth since it is not an overly busy route. Also I would LOVE to pass by there in June (of course not stop yet but would pull off to look/see if there is some evidence to see/photo) in my Model 3. Only hold up now is GETTING my ordered car. Come on Tesla. If not will have to "bum" it in my ELR using the generator and "working" the steering wheel.

Doesn't make sense for anything more than a 6 stall 150kWh installation. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath......
Without it, an SR+ going between Macon and Savannah would have to fully charge at each end and moderate their speed.

Doesn't make sense for anything more than a 6 stall 150kWh installation....
While not disagreeing with you I will say: In just a couple of years there will be over 2x as many Tesla's as there are now so while a 4 stall may be sufficient today why not plan for 2021 and have 8. ;) Also Tesla says they will roll out V3 nation wide by 2ed qt 2019. At the rate Tesla builds SC in Georgia (despite being one of the largest non CA markets) this may be the only chance of having a V3 by then.:eek:

Any news on this site? I have to make a trip to South of Savanah in a couple of weeks and just got my Model 3. Don't like the idea of having to go to the airport. I know it is too late for this trip but would love to stop and at least see some construction. Does anyone (ChrisC) know the site location?