Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Miami, FL - SW 7th Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife are I were down last weekend for Ultrafest and charged successfully. There were 5 other Tesla's there when we left so it appears these will be popular. Charged from about 100 miles rated range in my MS85 to full 90% while we had an early dinner at Tacology (it's really good) and had to pay $6 for parking. Tesla not working out something with the garage for Tesla's to have at least one hour of free parking was a real miss.

The directions in post #79 are dead on. Basically, once you enter from Brickell and get your ticket keep making left turns until you see the chargers.

I was able to remotely check my car's charging progress from the app with no problem whatsoever while we were dining. However, I wasn't in the garage long enough to check signal on my cell phone.

lBhZfpi.jpg

Reactions: jbcarioca
Yup, there’s a desk on the second level near the Santa Maria Novello store that will give a validation for 50%, no questions asked. More than once I’ve plugged in, left the mall and walked back after fully charged and they gave me the 50%!
I had no idea! Thanks for that.

I'd think eating at Tacology would suffice.

For my specific scenario it would've... However, my comment on the this location was speaking to the overall logic of placing the charger within a parking garage that comes with a fee.

Have you ever seen a gas station where you had to not only pay for the gas but also pay for the time you were parked there to fill up? I realize most of us have free supercharging but one of the primary purposes of these urban superchargers is to facilitate the ownership of the Model 3 for those people that rent or live in condos where they can't charge overnight. If I owned a model 3 and had to fork over $6 and pay for the use of the charger I would be quite annoyed. But that is just my opinion.

Jason

For my specific scenario it would've... However, my comment on the this location was speaking to the overall logic of placing the charger within a parking garage that comes with a fee.

Have you ever seen a gas station where you had to not only pay for the gas but also pay for the time you were parked there to fill up? I realize most of us have free supercharging but one of the primary purposes of these urban superchargers is to facilitate the ownership of the Model 3 for those people that rent or live in condos where they can't charge overnight. If I owned a model 3 and had to fork over $6 and pay for the use of the charger I would be quite annoyed. But that is just my opinion.

Jason
It’s probably a reflection of the shortage of parking in downtown Miami. The mall probably agreed to dedicate those spaces in exchange for the expectation that they would attract mall customers. There’s no inexpensive place where these chargers could be located near downtown. Same applies to the Midtown/Wynwood location - parking is really tight there as well and I believe those chargers will also be in pay garages. Good news is that the Aventura Mall garage is not a pay garage.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
Have you ever seen a gas station where you had to not only pay for the gas but also pay for the time you were parked there to fill up?

True, but at gas stations you're just refuelling, not parking. At a charging station you're parking *and* charging.

The fact that EV charging and parking can co-exist is a good thing and means that EV chargers are viable at many more places than gas stations. "Charge where you normally park" is the best way to get people to think about EV charging.

Sometimes parking is free, sometimes it is paid. If you're in an extremely high demand area, it's probably going to be paid.

Jason

Have you ever parked in a garage or street lot in Brickell for free? Where in Brickell could Tesla have put these where parking would've been free?

You don't have to pay $6 to park. You can charge somewhere else.

It’s probably a reflection of the shortage of parking in downtown Miami. The mall probably agreed to dedicate those spaces in exchange for the expectation that they would attract mall customers. There’s no inexpensive place where these chargers could be located near downtown. Same applies to the Midtown/Wynwood location - parking is really tight there as well and I believe those chargers will also be in pay garages. Good news is that the Aventura Mall garage is not a pay garage.

Good to know.

Have you ever parked in a garage or street lot in Brickell for free? Where in Brickell could Tesla have put these where parking would've been free?

You obviously didn't read or remember my OP on this topic. My suggestion for Tesla would've been to provide any Tesla one hour of free parking at the garage as a condition of installing the chargers. I am not sure how this could've been done logistically but Tesla has some smart people working there and I'm sure they could've come up with some process.

This would be a win win as it would draw mostly affluent customers to the shopping area (most Tesla owners have a few bucks to spare) and it would encourage people to get the charge they need and then get the heck out. For a one time charge that I needed it was nothing to be concerned with but if I was a Tesla owner in downtown Miami and had no way to charge at home the one hour would be greatly appreciated in order to avoid paying for a charge every time i needed one. $3 every other day could add up to $45 a month and negate the financial benefit of not owning an ICE car. If you have free supercharging you'd probably still be ahead but it'd still annoy me to fork over that money.

You don't have to pay $6 to park. You can charge somewhere else.

Where else can you park or charge for free that is convenient for someone living downtown? All the chargers I see listed are paid parking AND/OR pay to charge. Plus they are all Level 2 chargers so you'd have to be there at least 8hrs to get you from relatively low to 90% for most Teslas.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
It looks like they are getting close, I drove by last them night and they were all in place, ready to go, with just some yellow tape around the parking spots. I would guess very soon.
Still nothing...they are no longer taped off, ready to launch but the tape has not been taken off of the charger handles, and they remain unpowered. Getting close...

Still nothing...they are no longer taped off, ready to launch but the tape has not been taken off of the charger handles, and they remain unpowered. Getting close...
I’m wondering if they are waiting on an uptick in the usage of the chargers on the other side of the garage. I charged up there last evening & there were only 2 of us charging. Ironically, there were also 2 Teslas parked at the chargers that haven’t been turned on - maybe they gave up looking for the working chargers?