Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Michigan City, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by today (1/5/2020) and snapped some pictures, but I’m not going to bother posting—as far as I can tell, there’s been no change since the last pictures.

I’m looking forward to completion, but a little bummed about the food options nearby. The only things that I’d consider to be walking distance are Meijer, Five Guys (which I don’t mind, but my daughter isn’t a fan), and local pizzeria (which may be great, we’ll see once the SC opens).

Too bad Meijer isn't more like the other big grocery store SC host, Hy-Vee. There they actually have a little sit-down restaurant-ish place inside where you can get quite a few different selections. I've had Chinese food in Minnesota from them and I also remember getting a rather good slice of pizza from the location in Osage Beach, MO. :)

But... Like you said, hopefully there will be some other options that work out. One thing I do like about Meijer is that they are usually open all night long...though I did run across one in Chicago that closed at 11PM. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Too bad Meijer isn't more like the other big grocery store SC host, Hy-Vee. There they actually have a little sit-down restaurant-ish place inside where you can get quite a few different selections. I've had Chinese food in Minnesota from them and I also remember getting a rather good slice of pizza from the location in Osage Beach, MO. :)

But... Like you said, hopefully there will be some other options that work out. One thing I do like about Meijer is that they are usually open all night long...though I did run across one in Chicago that closed at 11PM. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Once Michigan City is finished, our second stop will be Peru, IL--at a HyVee. It's got the Market Grill, and there's also a Culvers and a Buffalo Wild Wings in the parking lot. Unfortunately it's an hour from my parents (and 4 hours from home), so that's not a good place to stop for dinner. But I'd highly recommend that Supercharger for anyone traveling along I80 through Illinois.

Reactions: SunCharged
I think this SC will end up being a really good mid-point for the trips I take to visit my daughter in Bloomington, IL. it will really work out well for them when they come this way as they have a long-range M3.

Last summer on my way to Wisconsin Dells, I stopped at the Madison SC and ate at the restaurant in the Hy-Vee. That was my first time entering a Hy-Vee. The food was very good. There’re no Hy-Vees near Chicago.

The Michigan City SC would be a very good alternative to the one in St Joseph, MI. That one is old and several stalls are always down. Hopefully it will be open for my annual Thanksgiving trip to Canada.

As a kid I remember Meijer having a decent restaurant? I remember eating there with my dad on a few occasions. I was a kid though so maybe my memory is a little skewed.

Anyways anyone been by here recently? Guessing not much has changed though?

I stopped by today (1/5/2020) and snapped some pictures, but I’m not going to bother posting—as far as I can tell, there’s been no change since the last pictures.

I’m looking forward to completion, but a little bummed about the food options nearby. The only things that I’d consider to be walking distance are Meijer, Five Guys (which I don’t mind, but my daughter isn’t a fan), and local pizzeria (which may be great, we’ll see once the SC opens).
Here I was just about to post the opposite. Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, Five Guys, Dunkin', that local pizza shop, Sophia's House of Pancakes, Chili's, Jimmy John's, Pizza Hut, Panda Express -- this might be the supercharger with the best food options I've seen in the "extended Michigan area". This will certainly be my new stop en route from Detroit to Chicago.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GeoX750
it was indeed the very first one opened in the state of Michigan all the way back in 2013, and it is certainly showing it's age at this point.
Never experienced the one in St. Joseph being down, but it is very busy it is the only SC that I have had to wait for a spot. Especially once the weather starts warming up. It is the last SC for people traveling up to the beach towns of Western Michigan from Chicago area. Would be great for one near Saugatuck to open.

Even yesterday coming back from visiting my son at Michigan State only had 1 spot available when we arrived.

And the stalls are in! Photo by wattzapper on PlugShare:)
0091CD5D-B73E-49E4-BBC2-F5974C4A61D2.jpeg