Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Michigan City, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one has gone live on the Tesla website!

supercharge.info has also been updated.

upload_2020-3-24_23-48-48.png

But still not showing in my Model X.
I'm conflicted between this brand new V3 SC and the cantankerous SC's in St. Joseph next to Hoopla, a yummy frozen yogurt place where you sample the many flavors before filling your cup! Also Hoopla has some of the cleanest bathrooms on the road.

Happy to report the Michigan City location is up and running (4/7/2020). I'm here now charging!

No numbers on the chargers though...

Third charger from the west not ramping up (maxed at 45 kW). Moved over to furthest charger to the west and hitting 100+kW.

I've got a 75D, so not going to see the speeds some of you guys will.

view

v3 charger do not have numbers on them because they don’t power share between 2 stalls. They share 1megawatt between 4 stalls. And since the max charge is 250kw there is essentially no potential for reduced speed.

I’m going to be driving through this area tomorrow (Sunday) in the late afternoon / early evening.

Given that it’s a Sunday in the summer, is it safe to assume that this SC will be very busy with Chicagoans returning from weekend-ing in Michigan?

FWIW, there were 3 spots open when I arrived at 1:30pm and only 1 open 12 minutes later when I departed.

In comparison, St Joseph had no open stalls when I drove past 40 minutes earlier.

I also discovered just how much cheaper it is to charge here vs the locations that are billed per kWh. At $0.27/min and averaging 140-150kW, it worked out to only about $0.11/kWh. So way cheaper than most per-kWh Michigan Superchargers ($0.29/kWh) or Illinois Supercharger ($0.31/kWh).

Michigan City Supercharger has its eyes on you!

LOL

I also discovered just how much cheaper it is to charge here vs the locations that are billed per kWh. At $0.27/min and averaging 140-150kW, it worked out to only about $0.11/kWh. So way cheaper than most per-kWh Michigan Superchargers ($0.29/kWh) or Illinois Supercharger ($0.31/kWh).

Just FYI... in Nov 2021 Tesla changed the the per-minute pricing at Superchargers all across the US and eliminated most of the cost savings opportunity at per-minute Superchargers vs per-kWh. And then just recently they changed all Indiana Superchargers from per-minute pricing to per-kWh. So now the Michigan City Supercharger is $0.34/kWh, which is 3X what I paid when I charged there 11 months ago. Oh well... it was nice while it lasted. And it's still cheaper than Illinois and Michigan per-kWh pricing.

Can anyone confirm if this is supercharger is still open? Tesla lists it on their website but it doesn’t show up with a pin when I search on Google and my car doesn’t seem to show it being there either. Any help would be appreciated!

I was scouting this location out a few weeks ago while I await delivery for my MYP and saw they're in the process of adding what looks like 12 or 16 additional superchargers. This looks like it will triple the capacity of this location. The existing 8 V3s appear to all still be operational. Not sure when they'll be finished with the expansion/upgrade, but I'd guess in the next month or so?

The new SC location off of I-94 in Stevensville, MI (Exit 22) should also help with charger congestion along this corridor between Chicago and Michigan.

Last edited: