Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Millen GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI Georgia Power will be installing a dual-standard (Chademo + CCS) site in Waycross this spring. It'll have a nameplate of 125 kW, but that capability is only for 800V cars; 400V cars will max out at 80 kW. Teslas would be further limited to 50 kW via the Chademo adapter (supplied by owner) until Tesla comes out with a CCS adapter in US. Still that's far better than the two Level 2 stations that Waycross has now, and even those are at dealers who are hit and miss on allowing non-customers to charge.

FYI Georgia Power will be installing a dual-standard (Chademo + CCS) site in Waycross this spring. It'll have a nameplate of 125 kW, but that capability is only for 800V cars; 400V cars will max out at 80 kW. Teslas would be further limited to 50 kW via the Chademo adapter (supplied by owner) until Tesla comes out with a CCS adapter in US. Still that's far better than the two Level 2 stations that Waycross has now, and even those are at dealers who are hit and miss on allowing non-customers to charge.
This is certainly good, but why would Ga Power (or anyone) spend money installing any new Chademo hardware? It’s a dead standard. Wish Ga Power would install dual standard CCS + Tesla stations as those are the two remaining standards in North America. I recall reading a while back that EVGO was going to start doing this but haven’t heard anything since.

This is an old argument. CCS and Chademo are the only true standards, and all publicly-funding charging efforts have required support for both. (Tesla is proprietary and not a standard.) Chademo is indeed finally dying, especially now that even Nissan has abandoned it with their newest cars (the Ariya SUV arriving in fall will be CCS) but for now it's still a requirement for public DCFC. Don't bother debating me, I agree with you :) But 2022 is probably the last year you'll see new Chademo capability get installed; Electrify America officially stopped installing new Chademo installs late last year, and the various legislative mandates are slowly evolving and will probably drop the Chademo requirement over time. Anyway, I'm sure this is all discussed at length in other threads here on TMC :)

Regarding EVgo, yes some of their stations support Tesla but it's a huge hack. They have a Tesla Chademo adapter integrated into the station, and that way offer all THREE DCFC plug types. It's a pretty funny setup, you should check one out. There's one in Atlanta (Lithonia) and probably one in your area; check their map. Discussed here on TMC.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This is certainly good, but why would Ga Power (or anyone) spend money installing any new Chademo hardware? It’s a dead standard. Wish Ga Power would install dual standard CCS + Tesla stations as those are the two remaining standards in North America. I recall reading a while back that EVGO was going to start doing this but haven’t heard anything since.
Most chargers support both standards, so it's not hard to do. I still occasionally see leaf drivers locally using them.

I do suspect that we'll see Tesla cables now that most Tesla vehicles can talk ccs.

This is an old argument. CCS and Chademo are the only true standards, and all publicly-funding charging efforts have required support for both. (Tesla is proprietary and not a standard.) Chademo is indeed finally dying, especially now that even Nissan has abandoned it with their newest cars (the Ariya SUV arriving in fall will be CCS) but for now it's still a requirement for public DCFC. Don't bother debating me, I agree with you :) But 2022 is probably the last year you'll see new Chademo capability get installed; Electrify America officially stopped installing new Chademo installs late last year, and the various legislative mandates are slowly evolving and will probably drop the Chademo requirement over time. Anyway, I'm sure this is all discussed at length in other threads here on TMC :)

Regarding EVgo, yes some of their stations support Tesla but it's a huge hack. They have a Tesla Chademo adapter integrated into the station, and that way offer all THREE DCFC plug types. It's a pretty funny setup, you should check one out. There's one in Atlanta (Lithonia) and probably one in your area; check their map. Discussed here on TMC.
I’m not looking for a debate, and as a former Leaf guy I understand the need for current Chademo chargers. Just no need to install any more, ever. Total waste of money. Glad to hear EA recognizes this and hopefully legislative requirements will catch up to reality soon.

I do consider Tesla a standard, whether proprietary or not, and in fact roughly 60% of all EVs currently on American roads use the Tesla standard. It also happens to be the best IMO (and I’ve used all 3).

With Tesla on the verge of opening its network to other makes, I hope the walls between the standards will begin to crumble. I know they will require the use of an adapter just like EVGO stations that charge Teslas, but it’s still a step in the right direction.

Reactions: jsight
....With Tesla on the verge of opening its network to other makes, I hope the walls between the standards will begin to crumble. I know they will require the use of an adapter just like EVGO stations that charge Teslas, but it’s still a step in the right direction.
IMO this is abad idea. If an EV with a front left or right rear port pulls into charge it will take up 2 Tesla Supercharger spots since it will have to park on the "wrong" side. Tesla cables are short and 100% designed for the rear left side port. Even if the adaptor has a long cable other EV owners won't know which space to pull into the way we Tesla owners are "forced" to do because of the short cable. I think Tesla should come out with a new Supercharger (maybe blue in color) that is CCS dedicated (with a long cable of course) and start installing in a ratio with red Superchargers.

IMO this is abad idea. If an EV with a front left or right rear port pulls into charge it will take up 2 Tesla Supercharger spots since it will have to park on the "wrong" side. Tesla cables are short and 100% designed for the rear left side port. Even if the adaptor has a long cable other EV owners won't know which space to pull into the way we Tesla owners are "forced" to do because of the short cable. I think Tesla should come out with a new Supercharger (maybe blue in color) that is CCS dedicated (with a long cable of course) and start installing in a ratio with red Superchargers.

That's a general problem with CCS, tbh. I've seen units that allocate two parking spots per car because of it, and I've seen people struggle with figuring out which side to park on because of the cables and port layout. I've also noticed that at the pull-in ea locations, some people pull in on the "wrong" side because of port placement.

I think the answer is the same as with gas stations. Add enough stalls to alleviate the problem.

I think the answer is the same as with gas stations. Add enough stalls to alleviate the problem.
Agree that the solution is to model after gas stations and go with an island-based approach (with a canopy!)

Hopefully at some point the number of EVs becomes significant enough that gas stations/convenience stores are willing to locate charging stations more prominently as gas pumps are and not in the back corner of the parking lot, allowing for that kind of layout.

One of the problems of gas stations adoptions DC fast Chargers are very expensive with little to no return for a gas station, outside of inside revenue. The dc fast-charging stations are 50k plus each.
Gas stations get most of their profits from the convenience store inside. Having captive patrons for 20 minutes assures they will be getting some business.

Reactions: LBMagneto
One of the problems of gas stations adoptions DC fast Chargers are very expensive with little to no return for a gas station, outside of inside revenue. The dc fast-charging stations are 50k plus each.
Yes, it will take a slight change in their business model, as @nogajim pointed out they will need to shift their offerings to more of a 20-30 minute stay instead of a 5 minute in and out. Many will not be able/willing to do this and will eventually close (which is fine, we don't need one on every last corner), but the ones such as Sheetz & Wawa and other similar outlets that offer more than cigarettes and lottery tickets will do quite well with this. The ones with attached coffee shops that seem to take 10 minutes to make complex creations might be another good fit.

Its funny

Its funny, I've heard so much whining about how impossible it is for some gas station chains to embrace EV charging. Here, we have a tiny subway franchise that has figured it out.

Looking on Streetview it looks like 2 small stores (there was apparently a bakery there), so might be that the owner of the lot was able to offer the space up.

Anyway ...

Millen, GA

Host Type: Restaurant
Host: Subway
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-25
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: GA-17, GA-23, GA-67, GA-121

US-25

To: Piedmont, SC - 165.2 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Asheville - Thetford St, NC - 217.2 miles

A nice hole-filler on US-25, the fastest route between Savannah, GA and Augusta, GA.

Yes, it will take a slight change in their business model, as @nogajim pointed out they will need to shift their offerings to more of a 20-30 minute stay instead of a 5 minute in and out. Many will not be able/willing to do this and will eventually close (which is fine, we don't need one on every last corner), but the ones such as Sheetz & Wawa and other similar outlets that offer more than cigarettes and lottery tickets will do quite well with this. The ones with attached coffee shops that seem to take 10 minutes to make complex creations might be another good fit.
I'm very familiar with how gas stations make money. As someone who has immediate family in the business of the large type stations, It will take a significant monetary investment on the station owners' part.

I'm very familiar with how gas stations make money. As someone who has immediate family in the business of the large type stations, It will take a significant monetary investment on the station owners' part.
I will certainly defer to those who have firsthand experience in this business, as I admit I have none.

But by the same token, long term, it seems like the prospects of those venues that are not willing to make an investment relatively soon may find themselves too late to the party later on and be left with a quickly shrinking customer base.

I will certainly defer to those who have firsthand experience in this business, as I admit I have none.

But by the same token, long term, it seems like the prospects of those venues that are not willing to make an investment relatively soon may find themselves too late to the party later on and be left with a quickly shrinking customer base.
I agree. the smaller gas station will go away and the larger ones that can invest will remain. All of the gas stations now that are successful are the large type around 5k sqft with good food options. cost to build is around 4mil plus land.