Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Milpitas, CA - South Abbott Avenue (LIVE 8 Jun 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
La Conner, WA
Coming soon to the Denny's in Milpitas:

Milpitas Dennys.png

There's some open ground between the two sets of white Tesla cabinets; I'm guessing that's the future home of a concrete slab and a PG&E transformer.
IMG_9369.JPG

I didn't spot the restaurant's transformer, but it might be hiding behind the thick landscaping. Or it might be underground: There's a high-voltage vault on the street side of the adjacent building. But I'm also doubting that a transformer sized for a restaurant wouldn't support the restaurant *and* 12 250-kW chargers.

Typical chain restaurant transformers are 50-150 kVA. For 12 V3s you need at least 1000 kVA dedicated transformer (not shared with another customer).
For example, the Saratoga Ave., San Jose, site is the same size, 12 x 250kW, and here is its transformer:
IMG_9390.JPG
This transformer is new; so it is not shared with any of the stores nor with the EA chargers in the same parking lot.

(Thanks, tij664, for the real-world numbers. I wasn't able to find capacity/rating numbers on the existing, cob-webbed, Denny's transformer.)

Reactions: 1100MCM