Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Milpitas, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2018, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by today. Some trench work in front of the cabinets and hotel work inside still.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 207
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Ulmo and Acps110
Looks like underground electrical circuit is in the works still and had inspection 9/5

Inspection Type: ELC-UNDERGROUND
Order#: 0
Result: IN PROGRESS
Scheduled Date: 9/6/2018
Scheduled Time: AM
Completed Date: 9/6/2018
Completed Time:
Inspector: CHRISTIAN GREENE
Notes:
9/5/2018 1:25 PM
Partial underground electric conduit inspection.
Contact Name: Jose Vasquez
Site Address: 901 E Calaveras Blvd
Phone: 7202772280
e-Mail: [email protected]

(CGR)
DC side conduits in driveway are partial approved

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
14 of 16 pedestal outlets:

There’s two handicapped spots in the midst of the row without pedestal outlets. The actual 14 charger parking spots probably all qualify as handicapped accessible without any placarding or exclusivity for handicapped; the only guaranteed handicapped parking on that side are for non-charging spots. Nice solution to providing handicapped charging and handicapped non-charging spots together! I approve.

64F01614-D468-42D3-9586-AE9D2F3AB596.jpeg

Final 2 outlets:

3E0459CC-43FA-497D-8A1F-B669EB45BDE4.jpeg

There seem to be two level two pedestal outlets to the left of that.

The plastic conduit looks like 3”. The charger cables are aluminum, two identical 250kcmil conductors (run parallel) per leg (two legs, marked white and red). That means 2x250kcmil aluminum cables per leg, giving 500kcmil per leg. T90 must be 90°C. 600V insulation. 2002 NEC table shows 350 amps with derating at 80% for 4-6 conductors, equals 280 amps. The runs are from 100 to 250 feet just estimating. Looking up distance derating. I can’t find distance derating for direct current at 600 volts.

What’s the max output of a SuperCharger? I bet I can get a label pic:
C26B050E-8B18-4623-968A-3BA40E3B7046.jpeg

That just gives me more questions: 135.2kW divided by two = 67.6kW; that’s not enough for the urban SC’s; these must be split paired 114kW chargers. I see the 40°C on the SC cabinets; checking tables again. I don’t see a 40°C cable table. Is that the connector?

Also each SC cabinet cabinet had a buck transformer; label:

33BE661F-2C27-4D49-BC38-B7D32053737D.jpeg

I just realized one reason SuperChargers may drop power level is to raise their input voltage to spec so they can raise the DC output high enough. If input drops below 480VAC, maybe the SC’s can’t output enough DC volts. Doubtful anybody knows here.

Last edited:
What’s the max output of a SuperCharger? I bet I can get a label pic:
View attachment 337561

That just gives me more questions: 135.2kW divided by two = 67.6kW; that’s not enough for the urban SC’s; these must be split paired 114kW chargers. I see the 40°C on the SC cabinets; checking tables again. I don’t see a 40°C cable table. Is that the connector?

Definitely standard 120kW paired Superchargers. Urban type cabinets have labels like the one you posted from Los Gatos that shows "SC-72x2" in the upper-right box and right above the Tesla Part Number (TPN), TPN should be "1133063-00-A" (current version), and "72kW x 2" in the Output Power box.

• Informative
It's interesting that Tesla and the hotel decided to install the chargers right up against the building as opposed to the back of the parking lot. I've always felt that there's a greater chance for ICE'ing to occur with this type of configuration. The fact that hotel patrons are most likely from out of town, they may come from cities where EV parking awareness is not as high as the Bay Area. This could result in a higher chance of ICE'ing made worse by the fact that once they park they will end up leaving the vehicle parked overnight in a charging stall.

I don't think this will be an issue. This side of the building is away from the main entrance from Calaveras Blvd. Most hotel guests will probably park on the other side of the building or in front of the main entrance. I have never seen this parking lot anywhere near full (which is probably why the hotel agreed to host the chargers).

Please come in and the back way via Hillview Drive then Hillview Court so you don’t interfere with hotel guests coming and going, and when leaving, go out the same way. If you do come or go via the front of the hotel lobby area, then please go minimum speed, approximately 5 MPH or less, because it is busy with hotel guests.

Here’s a screenshot of leaving via Hillview Court:

AC5846C3-5003-4265-9B0D-FB4A2D4CA238.png

Ok, on to the fun construction news:

C23A7C28-E17A-4CC8-8A6F-A90189AB326F.jpeg 969D999F-2211-4964-975A-C0E1484B07AA.jpeg 9F85179D-D192-4EF5-930E-80CAA97FEB46.jpeg BD55F073-DCE5-4528-8DCB-D2A90B00E77C.jpeg D57780DB-CFBC-4090-9A7B-FB05594CE84D.jpeg
32FAE53C-8F0B-4147-BC7C-B3F1F43BF7F0.jpeg

It smells of blacktop, and I see them preparing to paint traffic stalls. The first 14 SuperChargers have been wired; the other two in a further row aren't installed yet. Landscaping is on a nearby truck. This site already has transformer: hum check reveals strong PG&E transformer hum.

3C460945-65B3-4D43-B7F5-88C1689F1316.jpeg 268076D4-860C-4118-9D46-619A61B2833F.jpeg CFD42EB9-C6DE-4104-ADA9-446963E7BACF.jpeg

1500KVA, divided by 16 chargers is 93.75KVA. That is total across all three phases, correct? I think they overuse the transformer for part of the day and underuse it for another part of the day. They need predictive transformer heating and temperature monitoring to titrate charges to not damage the transformer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acps110 and Eno Deb
Daydreaming:

To me there is room between the transformer and the SuperCharger cabinets to sandwich in another pad and space for batteries; my assumption would be they make a new pad that splices the existing conduit from transformer to switch cabinets, put a main cabinet on the new slab alongside numerous PowerPacks, let’s say about 3 powerpacks.

The roof of the hotel has space for a lot of solar panels, alongside the outside of the existing light windows (I recommend tracking panels to get more morning sunlight):

FB92F306-3351-483E-A0F2-F92037675433.png

Most of the parking lot is filled with very nice trees that should stay, so no solar there.

The parking lot of the hotel has very little room for solar panels if the nice trees are kept, but I see a small barren unvegetated spot of parking that could take solar in a boring part of the restaurant side of the hotel where there are no doorways, as seen in the picture where the rectangular hedges are:

21FE865B-D178-4D5E-ACEA-316B70AD0FE9.jpeg

Note the adjacent hotel also has lots of parking with nice trees that should also be kept, thus no solar there.

The canal behind IHOP has ample room for solar canopies that cover the canal like an arch, but it would need anchoring on the canal service roads on both sides without interfering with the canal service roads, canal dikes, or abutting property foundations. I think engineers could spike the ground with some 75’ pylons and put in service-road height caps serving as foundation connection points for the solar canopy archways at their outside edges at the edge of canal property (taking about 8” of service road space in the fence way) with the service road using the top of the foundation concrete where applicable, but that requires pile drivers, concrete foundations, archways, and lotsa open minded government issuing persnickity permits. Also beware the high voltage lines in that area; work to avoid them. Government would probably want to keep their own electricity. Anyway, they should do it anyway since it would be a good use of land and reduce urban line losses for solar use. Such canopies should have enough open space to not create a hobo-hapoy shelter; they should allow the area underneath to be wind-swept, gouging sunlight, and forboding openness on all sides and above; such a restriction might make the solar panel area usable by the canals approximately 50% to 70% of their land area; luckily that includes space above the canal dikes and service roads as well as the flow portions of the canals.

Last edited:
Please come in and the back way via Hillview Drive then Hillview Court so you don’t interfere with hotel guests coming and going, and when leaving, go out the same way. If you do come or go via the front of the hotel lobby area, then please go minimum speed, approximately 5 MPH or less, because it is busy with hotel guests.

Here’s a screenshot of leaving via Hillview Court:

View attachment 339505
Oooh! I didn't see those autocorrect errors until now. Corrected:

Please arrive and leave the Milpitas Tesla SuperCharger via the back way which is Hillview Drive then Hillview Court (arriving, and reverse order leaving) so you don't interfere with hotel guests coming and going. If you do happen, for whatever reason, to go via the front of the hotel lobby area, then please go minimum speed, approximately 5 MPH or less, because it is busy with hotel guests.

View attachment 340895 Went by today. Fence removed. Hmm, there is a sign: “Parking for Hotel Guest only”

Looks great!

Since the transformer is humming, I presume now it is only within weeks of opening, possibly days. I'll guess early next week if there are not problems.

Last edited: