Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Minocqua, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally had the chance to check this one out today. The sign is a nice touch. I spotted 3 teslas in town while passing through. Just goes to show “if you build it, they will come”. We need more of this kind of infrastructure spread across the more remote areas of the state. ( min 50 miles apart )

4B2029FF-D2C2-47D3-A278-F06B7999E0C8.jpeg
50408A85-58EF-445F-AD00-86594BA6C99B.jpeg

Finally had the chance to check this one out today. The sign is a nice touch. I spotted 3 teslas in town while passing through. Just goes to show “if you build it, they will come”. We need more of this kind of infrastructure spread across the more remote areas of the state. ( min 50 miles apart )

View attachment 914343View attachment 914345
That sign is new. It wasn't there when I visited in November. It is a nice and unexpected touch for such a remote supercharger.

Reactions: Dp7-81 and Big Earl
Planning to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour in September, but it looks like it can’t be comfortably done in a Tesla because there are no superchargers in northern WI. :( Even the CCS “backup” options are abysmal. Are there no Teslas up here? Can you even do Marquette to Duluth, and still explore along the way? (Houghton, Bayfield, etc)

Planning to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour in September, but it looks like it can’t be comfortably done in a Tesla because there are no superchargers in northern WI. :( Even the CCS “backup” options are abysmal. Are there no Teslas up here? Can you even do Marquette to Duluth, and still explore along the way? (Houghton, Bayfield, etc)
I Just checked Plugshare, there is a 125kW CCS in Houghton. that’s just as good as a V2 SuC and the Charging rates are very reasonable. 1.00 initiation fee, $0.27 per min . Fwiw, 125 kW will give you 2 kWh per minute if starting at lower SoC.
that’s assuming you have the CCS enabled and the Adapter.

Charge up in Marquette first. That will easily let you drive up to Copper harbor and back to Houghton. I can’t imagine you not staying somewhere overnight along that stretch.

Ashland also has DCFC as does Washburn just south of Bayfield.

Reactions: Cyberjr
My family did it in our 70D last year (didn't own the Y yet). Took some planning and always trickle charged when we were at our lodging (if it didn't have L2), but made it work. Plugshare and a CCS adaptor will be your friend.

I Just checked Plugshare, there is a 125kW CCS in Houghton. that’s just as good as a V2 SuC and the Charging rates are very reasonable. 1.00 initiation fee, $0.27 per min . Fwiw, 125 kW will give you 2 kWh per minute if starting at lower SoC.
that’s assuming you have the CCS enabled and the Adapter.

Charge up in Marquette first. That will easily let you drive up to Copper harbor and back to Houghton. I can’t imagine you not staying somewhere overnight along that stretch.

Ashland also has DCFC as does Washburn just south of Bayfield.
Good suggestions here.

Reactions: MattChristian
I did Duluth (Carlton to be exact) to Marquette last October in my MY. Did a 1 hour L2 charge (over lunch) in Ironwood. But we did not explore along the way. So if leaving Duluth at 100% and you can fit in 2-3 hours of L2 charging while exploring, you should be able to do it.

Good news is Ashland has been added to the coming soon list. Bad news is target opening is currently 2025.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and feedback!
We don’t want to detour very much away from the lake, so Minocqua itself is not a good option. And, we don’t want to depend upon any “critical“ (single point of failure) charging points, like L2 charging, unless maybe it is at our overnight hotel. And, we don’t want to depend on any single handle CCS sites, or unreliable CCS sites listed on PlugShare. (Yes, my 2019 Model 3 is retro-fitted and CCS-ready, and I have the Tesla CCS adapter.)
True, we are being picky, but for us, we just don’t want to deal with the stress and inconvenience of non-Tesla charging… Just get in, go, and enjoy the view! (well, *after* briefly checking out the route ahead of time.) Sometimes we simply pick a different (supercharger friendly) destination, but the Circle Tour is a bucket list item, so ICE it is this time. Maybe next year northern WI will be more NACS accessible… Half the superchargers I see popping up were not even on Tesla’s Find Us map, so who knows…