Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Minot, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Definitely a great splitter of Bismarck, ND to Estevan, SK. I wonder if that mean they are planning to put SCs on US 2. Williston (fracking central) and Devil’s Lake would be required. I’m always excited to see off-interstate SCs for the more scenic routes.

Interesting. Definitely a great splitter of Bismarck, ND to Estevan, SK. I wonder if that mean they are planning to put SCs on US 2. Williston (fracking central) and Devil’s Lake would be required. I’m always excited to see off-interstate SCs for the more scenic routes.
My guess is they will complete US-2 through ND (with Devils Lake and Williston as you suggest) in the next 1-2 years. And I suspect the same for US-2 in Eastern WA and the ID panhandle. US-2 through Montana will probably be a while though. That's a lot of space with not much in the way of towns or population.

Minot, ND

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Marketplace Foods
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-2W, US-52, US-83
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-2W

To: Grand Forks, ND - 212.2 miles
Diversion: 1 miles
To: Bemidji, MN - 324.4 miles

US-52

To: Jamestown, ND - 172.6 miles
Diversion: 1.1 miles
To: Fargo, ND - 262 miles

US-83

To: End (Canada near Westhope, ND) - 67.1 miles
Diversion: 0 miles

To: Estevan, SK (US-83/SK-39,SK-18) - 118.9 miles

On 3 US Numbered Highways.

Helping to connect the diagonals to Regina, SK and Winnipeg, MB.

Also on US-2W, splitting the largest gap on the US Numbered Highway network..

Williston is the hub of the US oil fracking industry. I wonder if they will have a hard time finding a hosting site in that area.
Not as much as you think. Last time I flew through there and charged at the Coop to come back to Moose Jaw there was a local Ford dealer patiently wated for me to get out of my car to ask me charging questions. He told me he was booked out til 2025 on F150 lightnings and was just was curious about the whole charging thing.

Yes it's a huge fracking town, but there is more than a passing interest.

I love your passion for US highways, but I'm not sure that US 85 will ever be a high priority. The southern half is concurrent with I-25 and Williston is probably the biggest town along the northern half. There's a whole lot of nothing out there.
'Nothing' is truck country, and the last timeI was in Watford I was a little shocked at how little it resembled the sleepy little town happy to just have a dairy queen.

'Nothing' country will need Superchargers when CyberTruck is shipping. If you cant take your truck into the nothing, why have a truck?

My guess is they will complete US-2 through ND (with Devils Lake and Williston as you suggest) in the next 1-2 years. And I suspect the same for US-2 in Eastern WA and the ID panhandle. US-2 through Montana will probably be a while though. That's a lot of space with not much in the way of towns or population.
I would call that an accurate assessment. Williston to Havre will be interesting but possible. I’ve driven US 2 from Glacier NP to Duluth, MN.

I would Really like to see the US Highway Routes get built out in the Areas not in close proximity of Interstate system which is now fully covered for the most part. The closer I get to retirement, the more I like driving the Roads less traveled.

I’m curious about the variance requested in the application. Are EV chargers considered “filling station pumps” just like a gasoline station pump? Obviously they don’t need such a setback for safety reasons, as it’s not really possible to spill electrons onto the ground or electrocute people passing by, or danger from sparking at the voltages used. Technically there’s no filling going on at all. For every electron you push into the anode during charging, you get one back from the cathode.

Are there other states that legally consider chargers as filling stations?

Last edited:
I’m curious about the variance requested in the application. Are EV chargers considered “filling station pumps” just like a gasoline station pump? Obviously they don’t need such a setback for safety reasons, as it’s not really possible to spill electrons onto the ground or electrocute people passing by, or danger from sparking at the voltages used. Technically there’s no filling going on at all. For every electron you push into the anode during charging, you get one back from the cathode.

Are there other states that legally consider chargers as filling stations?
I can't speak for anything related to ND law, but New Jersey requires employees to pump the gasoline at filling stations. EV chargers at the same locations are self-serve.