Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mississauga, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't found ICING to be a big issue here so far. I drove down to Manhattan over the weekend and didn't have any issues with spots being ICE'd either but had to pay $28USD to charge for an hour. On top of that it was an Urban charge so I didn't even get a full charge.
that's what I was wondering about in Toronto with the annex and Liberty Village chargers...it will be free supercharging for $10-20. Even then if I was a parking lot owner no way I'd give up my spots to Tesla so they can sit empty 75% of the time. That's a lot of revenue in a 24/7/365 business.

If Vaughan Mills wasn't having problems with 'iceing' (once the warning signs and a couple of parking tickets went up) in mid-late december, then the whole 'iced' discussion should be killed with fire and not worried about ever again. It's really not that big of an issue, especially when there are 20 spots at these new monster locations. Iceing is an issue at a remote supercharger in the MOFN where there are only 6 stalls and someone temporarily parks a truck/trailer across them. Otherwise, it's really not an issue to concern yourself with.

I think iceing is more of an issue at malls during peak shopping season, say in the six weeks before Christmas. It remains to be seen how Vaughan Mills is during those seasons, however, I was at VM on Sunday and two spots were ice’d, although it didn’t matter because there were only 5 Tesla’s charging so there were still plenty of spots available.

I think iceing is more of an issue at malls during peak shopping season, say in the six weeks before Christmas. It remains to be seen how Vaughan Mills is during those seasons, however, I was at VM on Sunday and two spots were ice’d, although it didn’t matter because there were only 5 Tesla’s charging so there were still plenty of spots available.
it doesn't remain to be seen...we already went through it this Christmas season and Boxing Day. I personally charged there Christmas Day and another day a week later. 5-10 teslas in the spots and 0 fossil cars.

First when the supercharger was installed/opened it was awful...100% fossil cars in the spots because people didn't know what was up and there were no signs prohibiting parking.

Then they put signs saying TESLA PARKING ONLY or something to that effect and it was pretty much 0% fossil cars in the spots, even leading into Christmas eve.

Then Boxing day the parking lot went crazy and the tesla spots went to a mix of fossil cars and teslas but frankly the whole parking lot was mayhem so it's the one day where you can expect to potentially get screwed. You could get equally screwed parking anywhere there on boxing day...someone parked in the lane and blocked a number of cars in at the supercharger for example.

The next day it was fine and it has been fine since.

So again...not an issue except for a few hours on 1 day of the year...but frankly I don't think that's really 'iceing' ...that's just that mall on that day. I avoid it at all costs for that reason.

it doesn't remain to be seen...we already went through it this Christmas season and Boxing Day. I personally charged there Christmas Day and another day a week later. 5-10 teslas in the spots and 0 fossil cars.

First when the supercharger was installed/opened it was awful...100% fossil cars in the spots because people didn't know what was up and there were no signs prohibiting parking.

Then they put signs saying TESLA PARKING ONLY or something to that effect and it was pretty much 0% fossil cars in the spots, even leading into Christmas eve.

Then Boxing day the parking lot went crazy and the tesla spots went to a mix of fossil cars and teslas but frankly the whole parking lot was mayhem so it's the one day where you can expect to potentially get screwed. You could get equally screwed parking anywhere there on boxing day...someone parked in the lane and blocked a number of cars in at the supercharger for example.

The next day it was fine and it has been fine since.

So again...not an issue except for a few hours on 1 day of the year...but frankly I don't think that's really 'iceing' ...that's just that mall on that day. I avoid it at all costs for that reason.

So, how do you account for the 2 spots taken in the middle of March on a non-busy Sunday, wtih fill signage intact?

So, how do you account for the 2 spots taken in the middle of March on a non-busy Sunday, wtih fill signage intact?
Some people can't read English perhaps?

Even then, is this 'iceing' and a 'problem'? You yourself said it didn't matter. If 10 teslas showed up it still wouldn't inconvenience anyone. There are 20 spots there and 13 were empty.

As noted mall securiity is pretty active with their 'notices' they give people who do that. Takes time for people to understand what's happening but again, it's not a deliberate 'eff these teslas' and scores of people parking there blocking people from supercharging.

The term 'iced' was created in the days where you'd be lucky to have 1 L2 charger spot, and if some guy in a fossil car parked there you were properly screwed. It didn't necessarily refer to the act of someone parking there as much as it did the act of getting blocked from using a much needed charger. In the days of 20 supercharger stations (i.e. today) where you can choose any of half a dozen or more empty spots, it's really a non-issue. It was an issue on boxing day there at Vaughan Mills though, granted.

I try not to worry or get anxious about situations that don't effect me in any way. Maybe you're different. This 'iceing' phenomenon is on that list of things that don't matter to me. I've never been inconvenienced by it in 35,000 kms of all electric Tesla driving. There was a poll on the forum a while back and I don't think there were more than 1 or 2 individuals who had been fully blocked out by 'ice'd' spots. We're talking about literally thousands upon thousands of charging opportunities and only a couple times people got screwed. This is what people are dreading?

Last edited:
Some people can't read English perhaps?

Even then, is this 'iceing' and a 'problem'? You yourself said it didn't matter. If 10 teslas showed up it still wouldn't inconvenience anyone. There are 20 spots there and 13 were empty.

As noted mall securiity is pretty active with their 'notices' they give people who do that. Takes time for people to understand what's happening but again, it's not a deliberate 'eff these teslas' and scores of people parking there blocking people from supercharging.

This was iceing on March 11. Hardly a busy time of the year. My point is that if 2 spots are ICE'd in March, you could expect more in December.

I think there is also a copy cat phenomenon to parking (anywhere). Once one pickup truck parks on the grass... they all start parking on the grass. Once 1 car starts ICE'ing it's almost like a green light for others.

Both cars ICE'ing this weekend were on the short side of the little break between Superchargers. It was like monkey see, monkey do.

Like you, I also haven't been ICE'd at a SC but I have been ICE'd in London, ON once at a hockey rink (Budweiser Gardens).

At my office there are 8 tesla destination chargers on underground level 1, paid parking. Unfortunately they were located in spots closest to the elevator enterence. Before Tesla charger installation, those sports were marked hybrid/EV only, and was filled with ICE cars 98% of the time by 10am. After Tesla charger installation, there was no change and you have to arrive before 9am to get a charge. They recently put up some more obvious Tesla only signs and it got better, ice is now uncommon and other hybrid/EV occasionally park there. You can almost always get a spot as there are less than 8 Tesla in the building.

Propeery owners should always locate chargers on the least desirable spots.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
At my office there are 8 tesla destination chargers on underground level 1, paid parking. Unfortunately they were located in spots closest to the elevator enterence. Before Tesla charger installation, those sports were marked hybrid/EV only, and was filled with ICE cars 98% of the time by 10am. After Tesla charger installation, there was no change and you have to arrive before 9am to get a charge. They recently put up some more obvious Tesla only signs and it got better, ice is now uncommon and other hybrid/EV occasionally park there. You can almost always get a spot as there are less than 8 Tesla in the building.

Propeery owners should always locate chargers on the least desirable spots.

At least you have a progressive work place that caters to EV users.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Not really speculation anymore after the owner's spokesperson said it would be there ;)

ded30c60-a485-47ad-aafd-fcf27aa015bc-jpeg.286490

yes thats correct ... that grass is now gone .. I will try to get pictures this week ...

it seems like a good spot as that parking lot is a lot less crowded and busy compared to the walmart parking lot across the road

theres also a tim hortons, booster juice, the keg, and some other places to eat in the same parking lot

I took these pictures today (sorry for the poor quality but I was rushing to complete a bike ride before the rain came).

As much as I would like to believe this is a Supercharger installation, it looks more like a new retail building site.

The graded area is far too large and there are markings at different spots on the site for different utilities to be installed / accessed.

Attachments

• 20180503_111300.jpg
    20180503_111300.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180503_111304.jpg
    20180503_111304.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180503_111329.jpg
    20180503_111329.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180503_111332.jpg
    20180503_111332.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: Struja and MarcoRP
I took these pictures today (sorry for the poor quality but I was rushing to complete a bike ride before the rain came).

As much as I would like to believe this is a Supercharger installation, it looks more like a new retail building site.

The graded area is far too large and there are markings at different spots on the site for different utilities to be installed / accessed.

Actually I think it will be on the otherside of the street, where the Rona used to be. if they put a SC site in this area at all; it makes better sense there.

Monday at 10:32 PM