Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mississauga, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is great this site is open now. However, they put the chargers in the wrong area/zone at that location. They should have installed on the other side of the Micheal's store, between that and where the Rona used to be. That area is huge and empty and would allow for the chargers to be set up so that one can pull in with a trailer and be able to charge without blocking chargers or having to disconnect the trailer in order to charge. Very big lost opportunity. That area is right off the 401 and would be an ideal location for "trailer" friendly access chargers.

However, I do think now Tesla needs to stop building more superchargers in this Toronto area for now (they appear to be commited to Brockville, so that includes this as committed). There are others who have nothing and it is very difficult for them. I think Tesla needs to put in 6 superchargers between Winnipeg and Calgary and they need to have those done by Summer (July 2019). My suggestion for locations:
- Winnipeg, MB
- Brandon, MB
- Whitewood, SK
- Regina, SK
- Swift-current, SK
- Medicine Hat, AB.

and if possible, by the end of fall of 2019 (November)... add Saskatoon, SK and Lloydminster, SK/AB.

There is a large population between Winnipeg and Calgary going West, I have seen many people who put reservations down on the forums cancelling their reservations because there still aren't any Superchargers in their area and they have been hearing from those who took the initiative and bought their Teslas already; are having serious trouble travelling within these two large Provinces (Saskatchewan/Manitoba). There are examples of a drive which takes 6 hours by ICE car taking over a day in a Tesal because there is no charging for them except L2 (J1772 plug). We all know that takes forever to plug into and get a charge to 90%.

If you are reading this Tesla Representative, please take the initiative and try to get superchargers installed for those current owners and the ones you are losing daily over there. Remember these people are buying Tesla and they have no incentives in their Provinces. So this appears to be one area where sales can stay steady or increase because there are no incentives driving those sales currently anyway.

In my opinion if you have those locations above completed, you will not have to build any more in those areas right away, you would then have time to fill out other areas like Northern Ontario, and 2/3 more in the Atlantic region in 2020.

Finally after all these years, there is a supercharger in Mississauga. Hopefully Square one gets one next![/QU
Finally after all these years, there is a supercharger in Mississauga. Hopefully Square one gets one next!
Hopefully not! We need them in rural areas on highways, like was originally planned. Brockville is still in permit mode and Smiths Falls is a location we desperately need one so we can travel between Toronto and Ottawa via the quickest route, highway 7.
We don't need anymore in The GTA.

However, I do think now Tesla needs to stop building more superchargers in this Toronto area for now (they appear to be commited to Brockville, so that includes this as committed). There are others who have nothing and it is very difficult for them. I think Tesla needs to put in 6 superchargers between Winnipeg and Calgary and they need to have those done by Summer (July 2019). My suggestion for locations:
- Winnipeg, MB
- Brandon, MB
- Whitewood, SK
- Regina, SK
- Swift-current, SK
- Medicine Hat, AB.

and if possible, by the end of fall of 2019 (November)... add Saskatoon, SK and Lloydminster, SK/AB.
Are you not aware that Tesla has a website showing their plans for SuperChargers? Very often these sites are delayed, and I am the first to criticize them for that, but generally they do get built, if a few years later than originally planned.

Tesla Canada Superchargers

The Tesla owner population in the Prairies is very sparce and I doubt very much that they will have Superchargers there in the foreseeable future. Maybe 2021 at the earliest.

That is not they way Tesla should look at it. I hope Tesla is not thinking that way. Remember their main objective... to promote the advent of sustainable transportation. You cannot promote sustainable transport if there is a 2/3 day void section across the country with no supercharger infrastructure. There are people in the prairies buying Tesla, there are those who have stated on forums they want to wait until superchargers are set up before buying... but buyers like this do not wait for long. Installing those superchargers would remove plenty of ICE vehicles from the market place in this year alone and would begin the process of converting more.

Tesla is not a fledgling company anymore that no-one has heard of. Now there are people who will not buy until they believe Tesla realizes they exist. I am convinced of this that if Tesla can see it in their plan to piut in superchargers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan; it will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Are you not aware that Tesla has a website showing their plans for SuperChargers? Very often these sites are delayed, and I am the first to criticize them for that, but generally they do get built, if a few years later than originally planned.

Tesla Canada Superchargers
I know Tesla has the map, but a bunch of grey indicator points do not do anything and I am just suggesting Tesla put a certain area under priority for the moment. At least build a couple of superchargers in between Winnipeg and Regina, and a couple in between Regina and Calgary.

I say in between because when traveling across the country people usually stay in hotels in the big cities whereever possible. and there are a number of hotels in each major city that have destination chargers and/or Sun Country. So once you mek it to the City you will be able to get a full charge overnight stay and be off in the morning. So if Tesla can only commit to a handful, then fill in the space in between those main cities.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Part of the reason that there have been approximately zero Teslas sold in the prairies is that the governments have not been very helpful in promoting EVs. Provincial governments in Quebec, Ontario and BC have provided subsidiaries and have also subsidized charging stations, both public and at private homes. I don't think that has happened in the prairies and the government in SK, at least under Brad Wall, seemed hostile towards EVs and green energy.

I dropped by today in the early afternoon, it's getting regular traffic and people seem happy to have an option in Mississauga, finally.

IMG_1673.JPG

Part of the reason that there have been approximately zero Teslas sold in the prairies is that the governments have not been very helpful in promoting EVs. Provincial governments in Quebec, Ontario and BC have provided subsidiaries and have also subsidized charging stations, both public and at private homes. I don't think that has happened in the prairies and the government in SK, at least under Brad Wall, seemed hostile towards EVs and green energy.

I’d say more people are environmentally conscious in those provinces. The subsidies help but on a Tesla over $100k, they weren’t a huge factor. With no PST in Alberta a Tesla was cheaper than all other provinces, except for a few cheap base models in Ontario when they had the 14k rebate.

That is not they way Tesla should look at it. I hope Tesla is not thinking that way. Remember their main objective... to promote the advent of sustainable transportation. You cannot promote sustainable transport if there is a 2/3 day void section across the country with no supercharger infrastructure. There are people in the prairies buying Tesla, there are those who have stated on forums they want to wait until superchargers are set up before buying... but buyers like this do not wait for long. Installing those superchargers would remove plenty of ICE vehicles from the market place in this year alone and would begin the process of converting more.

Tesla is not a fledgling company anymore that no-one has heard of. Now there are people who will not buy until they believe Tesla realizes they exist. I am convinced of this that if Tesla can see it in their plan to piut in superchargers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan; it will make a big difference.
Unfortunately, a lot of Tesla owners will fly instead of driving long distances.

Unfortunately, a lot of Tesla owners will fly instead of driving long distances.
I agree with you if you are talking about the majority of people from Ontario... but these are people from the prairies. They do not fly as much as you think. I grew up in Saskatchewn, left when I was 18 to go to U of T; but by the time I was 14 our family had been from Victoria to New Brunswick. Everey summer was a road trip like clock work. We were not the only one. It was part of the prairie lifestyle.

There are alot of people in those provinces involved with farming, agriculture, raising livestock, etc. They make good money and farm equipment is not cheap. These people buy their toys, nice SUV's travel trailers (Campers), snowmobiles in the winter. Family is always spread around the prairies and families continue to vistit each other. I lived in Regina and we had family in Calgary - an Uncle, Edmonton - an Aunt and Winnipeg - also another Aunt. Regina to winnipeg is a 5.5 hour drive and Regina to Calgary is 7.5 hour drive...etc. We would do that drive to either one of those 3 places at least once or twice every couple of months - even in the winter. My point is people in the prairies travel by car more than they care to fly - at least that was my experience growing up - and the kids who grew up with me are now the adults who are the potential customers for EVs.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I agree, great location. One is also being built at Fairview Mall at the moment.

Nice.
I didn’t know they were putting one there.
I heard rumours they were putting one someplace in Kitchener, but hadn’t heard anything for a while.
Have they started building it yet ?

Edit:
Just realized there are about 3 Fairview Malls around.
Which one were you referring to ?

Almost $18 from charging from 55~60km to 350km at this supercharger yesterday, I drove the car for about an hour prior, so it wasn't too cold soaked... the charging rate was pretty slow, most likely because of the battery still being too cold.

Agree.

I was there this morning. Charged from 22% to 90%. It said it would take 1 hr 50 minutes to charge (never took that before). Started off at 120 km/hr when the battery is cold, then moved up to 230 km when it reached 35% and the battery was warmed, then dropped back to 190 km when it reached 70%.

Stop charging with 15 minutes left at 80%. Total time spent 80 minutes there. Well, still free for now but it did take a while. In Sherway, would have done in an hour.