Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been to this location several times. The parking lot for that motel is not very large. I can see how if the place is sold out, those extra Tesla spots can be easily ICEd.

Putting my foot in someone else's shoe, if I were a guest there with a ton of people and luggage and a full parking lot, I can see how tempting those spots are.

Just not a great exact location for a supercharger.

Reactions: KJD
Sunday November 13 at 11 AM:

30915766631_8433c475e8_z.jpg

A hotel employee was interested in Tesla — usual questions — and mentioned that the black Escalade belonged to another hotel employee. He then went to ask him to move it. I was only there for about fifteen minutes (enough to get me to Dead Horse Point State Park and back if it turned out that I couldn't charge at my campsite for some reason). During that time the other Model S finished charging and left. The red Eclipse owners were hotel guests and packed up and left. The employee came and moved his Escalade. By the time I left, all of the Superchargers were open again.

By the way, all the campsites at Dead Horse Point State Park have RV pedestals with 14-50 outlets:

30968830316_3f160ddf9b_n.jpg

My links in this post had disappeared and since I can't edit it I will try to repost it here with the pictures:
Sunday November 13 at 11 AM:
Supercharging blocked at Moab1809cropsf 11-13-16.jpg

30915766631_8433c475e8_z.jpg

A hotel employee was interested in Tesla — usual questions — and mentioned that the black Escalade belonged to another hotel employee. He then went to ask him to move it. I was only there for about fifteen minutes (enough to get me to Dead Horse Point State Park and back if it turned out that I couldn't charge at my campsite for some reason). During that time the other Model S finished charging and left. The red Eclipse owners were hotel guests and packed up and left. The employee came and moved his Escalade. By the time I left, all of the Superchargers were open again.

By the way, all the campsites at Dead Horse Point State Park have RV pedestals with 14-50 outlets:
Charging at Dead Horse Point State Park1820edsf 11-13-16.jpg

30968830316_3f160ddf9b_n.jpg
Anyway, there has been a development on the Moab Supercharger: the parking lot was repainted and the Tesla spaces are clearly marked:

Moab Supercharger Station1903sf 4-30-17.jpg

I would guess that this will reduce icing considerably.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: IdaX and Owner
No ICEing issues yet for me on this trip.
But charging has been very slow, even with preconditioned battery at 20% SOC.
The highest rate I or any of the others charging concurrently got was 56 kWh.

Admittedly, temps have been in upper 30s and lower 40s.

No ICEing issues yet for me on this trip.
But charging has been very slow, even with preconditioned battery at 20% SOC.
The highest rate I or any of the others charging concurrently got was 56 kWh.

Admittedly, temps have been in upper 30s and lower 40s.
Something weird about these chargers, that's pretty much my experience here. I try and plan my trips around charging as little as possible here. I don't understand why there hasn't been effort to expand or add a second charger in or near Moab.

Something weird about these chargers, that's pretty much my experience here. I try and plan my trips around charging as little as possible here. I don't understand why there hasn't been effort to expand or add a second charger in or near Moab.
I've charged at Moab a dozen times. Only once have I seen it full and never have I seen a line. Big difference between Moab and places on major travel routes, such as Gallup NM or Beaver UT.

I've charged at Moab a dozen times. Only once have I seen it full and never have I seen a line. Big difference between Moab and places on major travel routes, such as Gallup NM or Beaver UT.
I would expect Moab to be very crowded later this year when things open up. Perhaps people are hesitant enough to travel right now (early peak season), but I doubt they will be for the fall peak season. And it's not as if the town is dead during the heat of summer.

Also, national park road trips are the kind of vacation that many people are deeming to be "safe" during the pandemic. Of course, the people who are truly concerned will get vaccinated first, but most parents are (irrationally imo) concerned about their kids getting Covid and obviously the kids can't get vaccinated at this time.

"Reduced Service" Noon April 10. Service has one pair shut down to replace cables. First in line for the remaining pair.

70 cars in line for Island in the Sky entry at Canyonlands as I was heading out this morning at 11 AM. Two lines a quarter mile long for Arches yesterday at 1 PM. Definitely high season for Moab. Get there early or late to have easy entry to the parks.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Any idea whether the upgrade led to improved charging rates?
As I reported earlier, nobody I saw got rates better than 56kWh.
(I first typed "north of" and then realized that thinking of north as up is so parochial :) )
My S-60 is so slow charging that I can't judge charging speeds.

Took me an hour and a half to get enough charge to make it home, with careful driving, which is typical. (My car is down to 162 RM at 100%. Long trip legs with significant elevation gain are difficult.)

I try to think of "up" and "down" in terms of elevation. So, I go "down" to Montrose or Grand Junction, even though both are north of me. Does take a different mindset from the "north is up and south is down" map convention!

Last edited:
My S-60 is so slow charging that I can't judge charging speeds.

Took me an hour and a half to get enough charge to make it home, with careful driving, which is typical. (My car is down to 162 RM at 100%. Long trip legs with significant elevation gain are difficult.)

I try to think of "up" and "down" in terms of elevation. So, I go "down" to Montrose or Grand Junction, even though both are north of me. Does take a different mindset from the "north is up and south is down" map convention!
I agree totally. Local mountainous terrain vs globe-level "up-down direction" can be very different!

As a local who has visited Arches National Park many times over several decades, I've been expecting this for some time:

The reservation system will be in place from April 3rd through October. Reservations for a month open three months in advance, so January 3rd for the month of April. Expect the website to be slammed on that first day. I'm not sure how bicycles will be treated; bicycling through Arches is one of my favorite ways to experience the park.

The details from the park website:

In early April of this year I passed by the Arches entrance station on my way to the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park. The line to get into Arches was two lanes at least a quarter mile long.