Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect illustration.:wink:

If any of you enjoy Primary Sources in history, the Journal of Andrew Ellicott from 1896 to 1800, as he surveyed 31˚ North Latitude from the Mississippi River east as the new border between the U.S. and Spanish Florida, is a great read. He spent a while in Mobile Bay and talks about why the U.S. should acquire it in the preface.

Ellicott describes what the path of I-10 was like at the end of the 18th century. His party was cutting their way through swamp, forest, and bog, while doing regular celestial sightings to stay on 31˚ north; it took them about two years to make it from the Mississippi River to north of Jacksonville. I guess he would have been happy with L2 charging...

The Journal of Andrew Ellicott | Library of Congress — It is amazing what is online in the Library of Congress!

Ellicott.jpg

I agree with everything Cottonwood said in response to this. I take it you've never actually driven across I-10 from Columbus to Lake Charles.
True, I've never driven there. I was relying on EVTripPlaner, which MS owners have claimed to be quite accurate. Is 1.0 speed factor and moderate climate control unreasonable for that trip?

... Most people don't buy a Model S to hypermile.
If driving 70 mph (+) and keeping climate control on (albeit low) is hypermiling, we have very different definitions. This is possible, as 70mph is speeding here in the northeast.

Last edited:
True, I've never driven there. I was relying on EVTripPlaner, which MS owners have claimed to be quite accurate. Is 1.0 speed factor and moderate climate control unreasonable for that trip?

If driving 70 mph (+) and keeping climate control on (albeit low) is hypermiling, we have very different definitions. This is possible, as 70mph is speeding here in the northeast.

Ahem. Not everywhere. There are 70 limits in Maine and Vermont, and 75 north of Stillwater in Maine.

Ahem. Not everywhere. There are 70 limits in Maine and Vermont, and 75 north of Stillwater in Maine.
I stand corrected. I've never be that far up I guess. Do you consider 70mph hypermiling too?
I consider 10-20mph below the posted limit, climate off, tires overinflated, drafting where possible to be hypermiling. It sounds dangerous, I don't do it. But the posted limit I don't think is dangerous.

When Rosenberg, TX (on the 2015 Map) comes online, it will provide a supercharge 177(ish) miles from Lake Charles by getting off of I-10 for a while.

This'll be at the junction of I-69 and either State Hwy 36 or Grand Parkway 99. The former making a better connection from Columbus to the SpaceX spaceport. The latter could pair with a later Baytown SC to let E-W I-10 travelers skip downtown Houston.

Perhaps you're having a flyby with Cottonwood & TexasEV.

When I ran this trip through EVTripPlanner, I got ~68kWh, so it's obviously not possible for a 60 at highway speeds. That also suggests to me that it will also be tight for an 85 (especially if you believe the pessimistic range for an 85 w/ 21" wheels). Given Houston traffic, I'd want to be sure I had a 100% trip charge at the starting SC and drove moderately. Even then, EVTP says I would use 259 rated miles in good conditions.

Really the short term "solution" is to route San Antonio & Austin traffic first to Huntsville SC and then to Lake Charles. Not ideal, but I feel the same way about having to go via Huntsville to get to New Orleans and through to Florida.

Last edited:
Brass Guy, driving the posted limit can be dangerous. Last year, before the SC were all built between DC and FL in my P85 with 21 inch Michelin PS2 tires (I mention that because they do not get the same range as the 19 inch tires), I drove to FL and back. On the return trip, I fully charged at the St. Augustine SC (265 miles range) for a drive to the hotel I was going to stay overnight at and charge, a distance of a little over 200. The speed limit was 65/70 mph on the stretch of road AND I was being passed by almost every other car that was driving at least 5 to 10 mph faster than me. However, it was getting dark, it was cold, windy and raining. About half way through the drive I realized that I would not make it to the hotel at the current rate of consumption. I slowed down to 55 mph (e.g., below the speed limit and thus at least 15 mph slower than the other cars on the road) to conserve battery power, driving in the right lane. Even though the left lane was empty, drivers would come barreling down the road right onto the rear of my car, flashing their lights and honking their horns for me to speed up. It was not a very pleasant drive. I was very concerned I would be rear ended or run out of battery before getting to the hotel. When I did arrive at the hotel, I had 1 mile range left. I had used 264 miles range for a trip of about 200 miles (I did not use the heater in order to conserve battery power). Weather and temperature has a big effect on range. Having SCs spaced at 200 miles is just too far apart for most parts of the country.

Last edited:
Yes, 214 miles is "Hypermile-doable" in an 85. I have done that distance and more, many times in my 85. However, 214 miles is just too far between Superchargers for normal driving. That distance presents many problems:

1. 99-100% charging on a Supercharger takes "forever." "Forever is, of course, a relative term.
  2. It's just too far for 60's.
  3. There is no margin in case of problems, wind, weather, traffic, etc.
  4. Most people don't buy a Model S to hypermile.
  5. Many consider driving 60-65 on a highway where many are driving 80-85 dangerous.
  6. ...

Of course this route is doable, but...

I believe in the accuracy of EVTripPlanner's predictions, but they are predictions, not guarantees. I like to use and recommend a 15-25% margin on those predictions for contingencies. If I use the 100% battery as 255 Rated Miles, and a 20% margin, then 255/1.2=222 rated miles. To get that with EVTripPlanner, I have to use a 0.9 speed factor and get 60 mph speeds on the highway portions of this route. To avoid "range anxiety," I would drive that speed until I know I have the next Supercharger made. 60 mph on a Texas highway is hypermiling.

Don't forget the annoyance of an extra 45-60 minutes to do a 100% charge at a Supercharger, weather problems (wind, rain), and 60's.

Tesla really needs to put in another Supercharger on the east side of Houston for I-10 to be a reasonable, usable route for regular use...

Last edited:
Another thing to consider when planning longer trips is getting off the interstate and instead, taking US or state highways. Often they roughly parallel interstates but with lower speed limits and less traffic, which can make for a more pleasant drive anyway but especially if you need to drive a little slower to reach your destination. I realize this isn't always possible but when it is, it can be a good alternative.

I stand corrected. I've never be that far up I guess. Do you consider 70mph hypermiling too?
I consider 10-20mph below the posted limit, climate off, tires overinflated, drafting where possible to be hypermiling. It sounds dangerous, I don't do it. But the posted limit I don't think is dangerous.

Hypermiling is "beating the EPA", but more generally is actively driving for efficiency. Slowing down helps but there's way more to it than that.

Close drafting is not recommended by hypermilers because it's dangerous and it eliminates the advantages of driving with a buffer. It pretty much takes one significant accident to lose all of the energy savings. Skilled hypermilers use side drafting, where they time accelerate while in the wake of a semi. The best hypermilers are also very safe drivers because they're hyper aware of traffic movements and avoid the need for braking.

No, driving at the posted speed limit isn't hyoermiling. Imdrive at PSL because it's the maximum legal limit and out of consideration for drivers behind me.

Is anyone close enough to check and see if construction has begun?
I was in Mobile on Tuesday (2/3) and can report that there was no construction activity at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a parking lot of a shopping mall. The reviews were of the mall.
I am in this area every three months, staying at a hotel that is one block from the mall. I don't think of the area as dangerous in any way. I think it is a good choice for the location. I thought that they might locate across the bay in Daphne, but that would have been very inconvenient for I-65 traffic, so I think the choice is very good. I walk around the area after dark regularly with no fear.