Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just called the Wendy's next to the location for the SuperCharger (the Sears Auto phone had been disconnected) and asked if the young lady could see any construction in the parking lot under the transmission lines. She said she could not. However she indicated that all she could see was the McDonalds so she may have been looking in the wrong direction. Hopefully someone will drive by and check on the site soon - :cool:

Last entry on any of the 3 permits is Feb 20th (4 days ago), I did see a condition not met on one of them:
Wind load not met, see condition

2/19/15: CONDITION MET PER W.M.F. -P.F. EVEN THOUGH THE PERMIT HAS AN ADDRESS WHICH IS 3201 AIRPORT BLVD, THE PLANS AND DOCUMENTS NEED TO DESIGNATE A REFERENCE LOCATION FROM THE OWNER
135 MPH WIND SPPEED 0150:1 Unmet
Design Load The City of Mobile has adopted Basic Wind Speed for 135 mph 3-second gust winds. . (See Section 12 Building Code Summary, BCS) note provide wind speed for cabinet and fence/wall

I drive a P88 Model S. Although I haven't been through Mobile in the last couple of months, I regularly travel a route that takes me from Jackson, MS, through Laurel, MS, diagonally across Mississippi on US 98 to Mobile and on to Perdido Key, FL (just over the Alabama line). As the I-10 superchargers fill in I expect to also use I-10 regularly. The location chosen in Mobile is about half way between US 98 and I-10, and it is about as close to either route as the Lake Charles location, which I have used 6 times recently, is to I-10. I find none of this inconvenient at all. I do heartily recommend stopping at Benson's Appliance in Foley, AL. Ed Benson is worth meeting if he happens to be in. He has a HPWC for Teslas and two GE J1772 chargers. There is a very nice, old fashioned place for lunch and breakfast about two short blocks south of Ed's store. Look folks, with respect to range driving a Tesla is going to get increasingly boring over the next year or two. This is the adventurous part. As Ed once said to me, "It's like driving a Model T around looking for a hardware store where you can buy a can of gasoline." By the way I also travel across on I-20 from Shreveport to Jackson, MS, on these trips, about 220 miles, at 65 mph (5 miles below the speed limit) and make it with 30 to 40 miles to spare. Only when it is bitterly cold and I need the heater do I slow down to 55 or 60 in order to have that 30 to 40 mile cushion. If the supercharger build out goes according to plan, a Monroe, LA, supercharger location will make it possible to make that trip easily traveling at the speed limit. When in Jackson, stay at the Old Capitol Inn, one J1772 and one HPWC for overnight charging. Great hotel. And Jackson has an immense amount and variety of first classic music at bars, restaurants and other locations. Jackson, MS, is also expected to have a supercharger location. Once Jackson and Mobile are live, I will be able to make the drive from Shreveport to Perdido Key without spending the night in Jackson, but probably will anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be P85, not P88. And the trip from Jackson to Laurel is mostly on US or MS 49 and some back roads from Magee to Laurel.

Wife and daughter going to the PensaCon this weekend.
I should hit the road after dropping DD at the airport, surprise them. Yep, future Mobile & Slidell SCs will make that an un-adventure... Just hop in and start driving...

Last edited:
This site seems to be getting a slow start. For such a vital east-west connection, I wonder what the deal is? Hopefully this isn't another Greenville, sc

noooooo, not another Greenville! Speaking of Greenville, that one is coming up on its one year anniversary celebration for starting the process. There will be cake.

Wonder if it will be the record holder for "time from permit to open". I know the site owner became locked into lawsuits and it was out of Tesla's hands, but still, it's been almost a year.

noooooo, not another Greenville! Speaking of Greenville, that one is coming up on its one year anniversary celebration for starting the process. There will be cake.

Wonder if it will be the record holder for "time from permit to open". I know the site owner became locked into lawsuits and it was out of Tesla's hands, but still, it's been almost a year.
Yea I would imagine Greenville, Sc would take the cake in that category... Let's hope they can connect I-10 without the same issues. Finish Mobile and maybe one near Slidell at I-10/I-59 junction and we'd be all set... Maybe some destination charging in Biloxi and Gulfport to really throw some icing on the cake. . cmon Tesla, I want to take a mid-west road trip! :p

Greenville, SC just shows you how inefficient our legal system is.