Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA - 16870 CA-14 (Mojave Thai Cuisine, LIVE 24 Oct 2023, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of hijacking a thread and getting a stern talking to by Bruce, this isn’t really an issue in California any more. In fact, we’ve been so aggressive at solar deployment that we’ve actually shifted peak demand on the grid well into the evening, when it’s still hot but the sun isn’t shining. Solar can’t fix that.
I wouldn’t say it’s been shifted well into the evening, it’s well within the range it’s been the past 20 years

D594AFDA-1F54-4F20-871B-5F633A68502B.png

But also more and more ev’s hitting the road, and i might be mistaken but I was under the impression that Tesla’s goal was solar + battery storage. Which would be fantastic as it’ll help during the few hours between sunset and evening off peak.

I wouldn’t say it’s been shifted well into the evening, it’s well within the range it’s been the past 20 years

View attachment 750628

But also more and more ev’s hitting the road, and i might be mistaken but I was under the impression that Tesla’s goal was solar + battery storage. Which would be fantastic as it’ll help during the few hours between sunset and evening off peak.
I think the peak load comment was more the average daily peak, not the single day in the entire year With the highest load. That is weather dependent The average daily peak is a result of demand minus solar offsets so that peak is later afternoon as solar starts to wane but demand is still high at the hottest part of the day. This can be seen in CA with PGE shifting peaks times later in the afternoon/evening vs 10 years ago.

Folks, there are two new Supercharging stations in Mojave and the subject station for this thread HAS NOT STARTED CONSTRUCTION. I drove by it yesterday in the Mojave Thai parking lot.

The thread for the other new Supercharger is here. I also drove by that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
I am kind of surprised that this site has not started construction yet, given that the one behind the Weinerschenzil has completed. Both permits were issued simultaneously. It would have made sense that the trenchers would move from one the the next, then the conduit, etc., etc. Both sites could have been easily done together with the same crews. With no construction at this site yet, and am hoping that it was not just Tesla applying for 2 sites and really only deciding to go forward on just one. Is that my paranoia seeping in?

I am kind of surprised that this site has not started construction yet, given that the one behind the Weinerschenzil has completed. Both permits were issued simultaneously. It would have made sense that the trenchers would move from one the the next, then the conduit, etc., etc. Both sites could have been easily done together with the same crews. With no construction at this site yet, and am hoping that it was not just Tesla applying for 2 sites and really only deciding to go forward on just one. Is that my paranoia seeping in?
While the sites may have been applied for at the same time, this permit has never been issued. Looks like there is still something with the Fore Dept related to the Megapack.

1661404030044.png

While the sites may have been applied for at the same time, this permit has never been issued. Looks like there is still something with the Fore Dept related to the Megapack.

View attachment 844816
I think that was the same status the other site showed when it was being built. In fact, the permit page showed the same thing for the original Mojave site expansion when it was already completed.

I think that was the same status the other site showed when it was being built. In fact, the permit page showed the same thing for the original Mojave site expansion when it was already completed.
Pictures on the other thread show construction on June 29. Permit shows issued on June 9 so that tracks. Maybe we just missed the processing status updates on Accela? Or they could have updated at the end with the dates things happened but they are usually updated daily since it’s all online. 2 months from issued to finaled, quick work.
1661511839104.png

I stopped by there this past weekend. Zero signs of construction at either the Thai or Workz restaurants. Maybe they are going to wait to see how things go with the current set-up before proceeding? Given that the orignal permit was filed simultaneously with the other new location, and both following the same permitting approval process, one would think that both would have been constructed side by side.

Yes, one would think so. I can only offer up this argument:

1. Twelve stalls of varying speeds at the original site plus twelve V3 at the new site might be enough to see us through the holiday and ski seasons (assuming we get snow at Mammoth and June.)

2. Palmdale is slated for a second Supercharger close to the first one. I don't know the status of this planned Supercharger. I have to assume that it is at least 16 stalls to complement the existing site.

3. Bakersfield proper is getting a Supercharger (finally!) right off 99 at California Avenue. Again, I am unclear the status of this one. But when this is complete, it will take some pressure off Mojave, since traffic on 58 incurs a 10-minute detour to Supercharge. Traffic from Interstate 5 and SR99 can use Bakersfield and bypass Mojave for points east or vice versa.

4. Permits are generally good for at least six months, if not a year. Reapplication fees are peanuts when compared to the total cost of construction.

So, perhaps Tesla is taking a wait-and-see approach for this third Mojave location.

If there is one thing we've learned the past eight years with Supercharger locations and construction is that there is no certainty about location, availability, and size until they flip the switch to "on."

Reactions: RickParker
Yes, one would think so. I can only offer up this argument:

1. Twelve stalls of varying speeds at the original site plus twelve V3 at the new site might be enough to see us through the holiday and ski seasons (assuming we get snow at Mammoth and June.)

2. Palmdale is slated for a second Supercharger close to the first one. I don't know the status of this planned Supercharger. I have to assume that it is at least 16 stalls to complement the existing site.

3. Bakersfield proper is getting a Supercharger (finally!) right off 99 at California Avenue. Again, I am unclear the status of this one. But when this is complete, it will take some pressure off Mojave, since traffic on 58 incurs a 10-minute detour to Supercharge. Traffic from Interstate 5 and SR99 can use Bakersfield and bypass Mojave for points east or vice versa.

4. Permits are generally good for at least six months, if not a year. Reapplication fees are peanuts when compared to the total cost of construction.

So, perhaps Tesla is taking a wait-and-see approach for this third Mojave location.

If there is one thing we've learned the past eight years with Supercharger locations and construction is that there is no certainty about location, availability, and size until they flip the switch to "on."
I just visited the new Palmdale site (across the street from AV Mall, located in parking lot by BevMo. New site has 24 stalls, v3 already installed, waiting for power from SCE. All construction is complete so should become active very soon.
1665862316553.png

BTW, Tesla's site no longer shows any upcoming locations in Mojave. Just the two that we know about.
However, the permit status says "issued" as of 11/10/2022. That is recent, so I don't think a permit would be issued if Tesla had already abandoned this site.
I will be up Friday and will try to do a closer inspection (since I am on my own and won't be irritating my family if I stop)