Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA - 16870 CA-14 (Mojave Thai Cuisine, LIVE 24 Oct 2023, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A permit has been filed for the installation of a second Supercharger in Mojave, this time in the parking lot of the Mojave Thai Cuisine. 20 stalls + battery storage are coming soon just 400 feet from the existing 6 (soon to be 12) stalls.

Kern County.jpg

@MarcoRP Found you! Thanks. Yes, this is pretty much immediately adjacent to the original site. Like, a 30 second walk. The Thai restaurant is right next to the original stalls. My guess is that the original site was blocking expansion, probably because the site is for sale.

There are going to be a lot of trailers coming through there. If Tesla pays for each individual parking spot, I'm guessing the lots owners don't (technically) want trailers sticking out past the stall? Aside from the "ADA access features", wouldn't it say in the permit application if any stalls would be larger/different shape?

What's it gonna take to get Tesla to start Solar Canopy'ing their frickin' Supercharger, you know, the ones Elon claimed would all have WiFi when new cars stopped coming with free cellular forever...

ESPECIALLY in the HOT parts of the world. That new 58 stall charger in Kettleman City is just bleak sun (and no toilet, although pavement is now promised for next year). This across the main drag from the old Café and Solar shading site. Such a step down. Also, no feral cats.

But a battery and no solar seems dum! I first saw this at that San Jose site that was my first battery augmented site. But with all the supply of LifePO they are gobbling up Shirley they can put batteries at each site to help smooth out peak utility draws, and in sunny parts it would be nice to get shade during the charging process, and this last week has pointed out how nice it is to be under a solar shade when it's raining too. If they ever make a site that gets almost no traffic it would be nice if it was only powered by solar and batteries (Like Camp Roberts here in California), or solar and batteries and a few 120v circuits in the hinterlands.

What's it gonna take to get Tesla to start Solar Canopy'ing their frickin' Supercharger, you know, the ones Elon claimed would all have WiFi when new cars stopped coming with free cellular forever...

ESPECIALLY in the HOT parts of the world. That new 58 stall charger in Kettleman City is just bleak sun (and no toilet, although pavement is now promised for next year). This across the main drag from the old Café and Solar shading site. Such a step down. Also, no feral cats.

But a battery and no solar seems dum! I first saw this at that San Jose site that was my first battery augmented site. But with all the supply of LifePO they are gobbling up Shirley they can put batteries at each site to help smooth out peak utility draws, and in sunny parts it would be nice to get shade during the charging process, and this last week has pointed out how nice it is to be under a solar shade when it's raining too. If they ever make a site that gets almost no traffic it would be nice if it was only powered by solar and batteries (Like Camp Roberts here in California), or solar and batteries and a few 120v circuits in the hinterlands.
Tell us how you really feel, Randy! :cool:

I think we've all followed Tesla long enough to realize that Tesla does not always do things in a sensible (to us, anyway) fashion. They revisit issues as they deem necessary or as the availability of parts can be redirected. We all know that Tesla's primary mission today is to sell new cars. Diverting inventory for battery backups or augmentation takes a back seat to new car sales. I agree that canopies with solar on all sites west of the Continental Divide would be fantastic for shade during the hot months and a little respite from the raindrops during the rainy season. But there might be issues with the lease that Tesla signs, or management may have decided that it was not cost effective.

(I assume the LifePO referred to above was a computer mangling of lithium-iron-phosphorous monoxide type battery chemistry.)

like you said, it was said over 8 years ago! Alot of things change in 8 years my friend.
That goal shouldn’t change IMO, especially in California where electricity shortages during hot summer days is a constant issue.
The canopies may not be much in the grand scheme of things but they would still provide a good amount of electricity during peak usage times.

That goal shouldn’t change IMO, especially in California where electricity shortages during hot summer days is a constant issue.
The canopies may not be much in the grand scheme of things but they would still provide a good amount of electricity during peak usage times.
I agree with you it does make sense at most locations but it will all come down to the appetite of the Landlord as Tesla will have to modify lease agreements if the Solar canopies are not part of the initial agreements. Convincing owners of properties who might not be as enthusiastic about the mission as we are is a challenge :)

Reactions: 4SUPER9
At the risk of hijacking a thread and getting a stern talking to by Bruce, this isn’t really an issue in California any more. In fact, we’ve been so aggressive at solar deployment that we’ve actually shifted peak demand on the grid well into the evening, when it’s still hot but the sun isn’t shining. Solar can’t fix that.