Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s still 6 150kWs + 2 Urbans, and V3s seem unusable still. There is a lowered curb that allows access to the “new” chargers.

EA2F3E88-EDC7-465D-A11A-1280CAD4D58A.jpeg

54EF9B96-FC62-482C-A7AF-45E03E84022C.jpeg

Last edited:
This really looks like a temp situation. The conduit to the urban chargers is an obvious hack job. Fine by me, and i am actually very appreciative, but clearly not something built for the long haul. If it was, the conduit would be buried, and not placed on temp risers. Makes me wonder what their long term plan is.

The temp chargers may be in place for the coming Memorial Day weekend and for early summer vacationers. I have heard from folks at AAA that summer travel by automobile is going to be huge this year coming off last year's problems. And Mojave can be a bottleneck at times.

The temp chargers may be in place for the coming Memorial Day weekend and for early summer vacationers. I have heard from folks at AAA that summer travel by automobile is going to be huge this year coming off last year's problems. And Mojave can be a bottleneck at times.
The true pros are getting off the road for Memorial Day weekend. It's going to be a *sugar* show :)

• Funny
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Meanwhile, Bishop had almost nobody there the entire afternoon.
Mojave is still a "must stop" for so many people it's not surprising to me that it's completely full when other nearby places are next to empty.

Bakersfield proper will help alleviate that, whenever that happens. Kramer Junction would have helped a lot too, but that one isn't on the map any more...

Mojave is still a "must stop" for so many people it's not surprising to me that it's completely full when other nearby places are next to empty.

Bakersfield proper will help alleviate that, whenever that happens. Kramer Junction would have helped a lot too, but that one isn't on the map any more...
Mojave is absolutely a must stop for many many drivers, though it will finally be something I can pass once I get my MSLR. I will easily hit Bishop from West LA, at typical 14/395 speeds. From there, it's a quick charge to make it to Mammoth. No stopping anywhere on the way back from Mammoth. 405 RM should give me a solid 305 actual miles I need.

Anyway, I am interested to see what is happening at this site. I will be by in a few days, though in an ICE. At least one of the 3 guys with me is also a Tesla fanboy, so convincing others to stop should not be a problem.

Mojave is absolutely a must stop for many many drivers, though it will finally be something I can pass once I get my MSLR. I will easily hit Bishop from West LA, at typical 14/395 speeds. From there, it's a quick charge to make it to Mammoth. No stopping anywhere on the way back from Mammoth. 405 RM should give me a solid 305 actual miles I need.

Anyway, I am interested to see what is happening at this site. I will be by in a few days, though in an ICE. At least one of the 3 guys with me is also a Tesla fanboy, so convincing others to stop should not be a problem.

We stopped there at 2:30 PM on Saturday the twelfth. We took the last v2 stall. Two souls pulled into the gravel area where the temporary 72kW stalls were. We stayed about 35 minutes to get just enough charge at 45-60kW in order to reach Traver for our final stop before home. Cars were waiting nearly the entire time we were there. I have to assume the people were following the Tesla navigation formula instead of figuring out on their own that they could unplug with a lower SOC in order to reach another location with less utilization and charge a lot faster. Barstow or Yermo is 70 minutes to the east; Palmdale 20 minutes south; Sta. Clarita or the two new ones in the SF Valley are 70 minutes to the south; Lone Pine about 90 minutes north; Bakersfield - West or Buttonwillow about 80 minutes west. We kept our eyes on the touchscreen on our drive from Baker to see the utilization at those spots; by and large they had enough vacancies to afford faster charging and less pairing.

The four v3 Superchargers were still under wraps.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
I have to assume the people were following the Tesla navigation formula instead of figuring out on their own that they could unplug with a lower SOC in order to reach another location with less utilization and charge a lot faster.
Your assumption is not entirely unreasonable. Now that Tesla's are commonplace, I expect, and have seen, many people who do not understand the concept of getting a faster rate of charge with a lower SOC. They also have no concept of paired stalls at older V2 sites like this. At the same time, we have to admit charging on a road trip is mostly a PITA. The more stops we have to make, the longer the trip, even if the data proves that multiple stops is faster than longer stops. People like you and me live the Tesla life. We plan ahead, look for destination chargers, and make sure we land at a time and place where we can have a meal, etc. For me, after 8 years of this, I am mostly over it. On a serious road trip, and want to be able to drive for at least 300 miles and not have to think about it. I am taking the ICE to the sierras this coming weekend, mostly because we have too many people and too much stuff. I enjoy driving my Tesla much more, but relieved I have no worries about charging.

I drove by twice this past week. The first time, on Wednesday 6/23, all stalls were occupied and a couple were waiting. No one was using the Urban stalls. Not sure why, but I presume they thought they were not active.
The second time, yesterday, all original stalls were occupied and 2 people were using the Urban stalls
The V3's remain covered.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff and Zoomit
My nav today said that there are 7/8 stalls available, with a max charge of 250. I think someone else said they saw the same thing a while back. If it is 8 stall, it is likely the original 6 (at 150) plus the 2 urban (at 72).

If it is 8 stall, it is likely the original 6 (at 150) plus the 2 urban (at 72).
Yep. The new ones are still covered as of today (8/10/21).

Also, seems like Tesla could have had this paved. As Doug mentioned, pretty goofy given how Mojave is a pretty key stop for a lot of people heading east. Have been to a decent number of superchargers over the past 4 years and this is the goofiest setup I think I've seen. There may be weirder ones! In any event, odd that it's taking so long to get it finalized.

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.37.10 PM.png

A bit deceptive here as the nav states 250kw max although the four V3 stalls are still draped.
Agreed. The 250kw status went live some time ago, yet still, per your photo, still not the case. I am utterly confused by this site. They went through all this trouble, and have yet to activate them. And, the whole thing has a temp look about them. I was hoping these were being placed while working on a true expansion. Ideal location for 24 stalls.

Update: I found the permit. It is still in review, with the most recent update on 8/23/2021.
The description is just as it looks:
Expansion at (E) Tesla Supercharger Station (K201407427) to consist of a Pre-Assembled Supercharger Unit (4 stalls), a Mobile Supercharger Unit (2 stalls), and associated AC and DC equipment.

Attachments

• Tesla Mojave Expansion.jpg
    Tesla Mojave Expansion.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 62