Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA - Sierra Hwy (LIVE 18 Aug 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by last night and the Mojave Thai parking lot shows no signs of construction at all.
Booo! Anyway, with this site live, most of the stress that can occur at Mojave should be relieved for a while.
My assumption is that the original Mojave site will be dismantled when these two sites are live. Last I checked, over a year ago, the original site was for sale, and I think it included the parking spots in front.

That makes sense. The pre-molded v3 site can just be picked up and moved, if the Urban chargers are still there they are on a pallet too. So it would only be the destruction of the now very old six post V2 site that has been there forever.
Ahhhhh, gotta love Tesla Time. Where "very old" is 7 years old and it has been there "forever".

Any other industry and that would be "very new".

Love to see this quick progress, extra chargers in Mojave has been needed for a while. Now I'll continue my push for Kramer Junction, it just seems like such an obvious place to reduce congestion in the area with plenty of access to land and power.

I would think Tesla would want it to provide access to something that other chargers don't. Going to Randsburg a lot? If it's providing connection between Barstow and Mojave and it's not a very long distance (71 miles away) I don't see the need for a splitter when we have lots of almost 200 mile stretches in the US that need a Supercharger in the middle.

Even if you are going to Lone Pine, that's only 155 miles from Barstow, I think every Tesla would make that, and there is probably better ways than via Kramer Junction...

I would think Tesla would want it to provide access to something that other chargers don't. Going to Randsburg a lot? If it's providing connection between Barstow and Mojave and it's not a very long distance (71 miles away) I don't see the need for a splitter when we have lots of almost 200 mile stretches in the US that need a Supercharger in the middle.

Even if you are going to Lone Pine, that's only 155 miles from Barstow, I think every Tesla would make that, and there is probably better ways than via Kramer Junction...
100% agree but it is also about relieving congestion and providing more options. I would rather see superchargers spaced 70 miles apart then see extra superchargers added at the same location (i.e. Mojave).

Tesla's can easily make the trip from Barstow to Mojave or the trip from Adelanto to Inyokern but by providing more options it frees up more of the whole network. I don't think many people are going to Mojave as a destination, it is just a convenient place to charge while passing through.

Charging with 50% battery at Mojave is less useful than charging with 25% battery at Kramer Junction. I always push the limits to supercharge at low battery states to improve charging speeds.

I go to Mammoth a lot and always see a plethora of Tesla's on that drive.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia

155 miles is basically impossible if you're towing a trailer. I'm happy to see anything that splits a segment down to 90 miles.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
I have been watching those F150 Towing Videos on you tube and cannot believe how low the range gets, and how long it takes to charge back up. I am super happy with my efficient little car. Perhaps my next car will have to be an Aptera. My other car is a Citrus Yellow 2000 Honda Insight, 700 miles on a 10 gallon tank before you start hypermiling.

Reactions: samn and Big Earl
Booo! Anyway, with this site live, most of the stress that can occur at Mojave should be relieved for a while.
My assumption is that the original Mojave site will be dismantled when these two sites are live. Last I checked, over a year ago, the original site was for sale, and I think it included the parking spots in front.
ove to see this quick progress, extra chargers in Mojave has been needed for a while. Now I'll continue my push for Kramer Junction, it just seems like such an obvious place to reduce congestion in the area with plenty of access to land and power.

State Route 58 between Bakersfield and Barstow gets a lot of Tesla traffic. I guess that 75% of that traffic comes from the Central Coast or the Bay Area on the way to Lost Wages and beyond or to northern Arizona. The remainder comes from the Central Valley.

At present, there is no Supercharger in Bakersfield proper. There are plans for an 8-stall unit at the junction of SR99 and SR46 at Famoso. That location is still about 18-20 miles north of the SR58 freeway. Visalia is slated to open two locations near the 198/99 junction--one is awaiting the transformer and the other is still in planning. There is currently a large installation under construction at Lost Hills (junction of I5 and SR46.) There are lots of choices for Bay Area traffic to charge on their way to or from Barstow. Many of those choices eliminate the need to stop in Mojave. (Note: another thread has revealed a 40-stall SC to be built at the Minneola Rd. exit of I-15. This is a mere stone's throw from the existing 16-stall V2 site at Eddie's World.)

This new location is more out-of-the way for east-west traffic (not that the current location is right off the freeway) and likely means that we will have ingress or egress driving through Mojave proper. So, I do not foresee Tesla removing the original location (especially since they installed those four new V3 Superchargers earlier this year. They would have just added another pallet of the temporary 72kW chargers. Just my thinking.)

I think it is too early for Tesla to consider a SC at Kramer's Junction because Tesla has not constructed a SC in Bakersfield proper. Maybe--maybe--once Bakersfield has a Supercharger, Tesla might get enough data that would suggest that Kramer's Junction is a sensible spot. With Hesperia (and soon to come Adelanto) to the south of Kramer's Junction, Tesla may decide that Inyokern is close enough for US395 traffic heading to the Owens Valley.

155 miles is basically impossible if you're towing a trailer. I'm happy to see anything that splits a segment down to 90 miles.
Towing S with X I get roughly half the range. Depending on terrain, can get as much as 140 miles out of it, but don't plan anything over 110 to be on the safe side. Real-life example: leave Culver City LA with 245 miles and arrive to San Diego with 9 miles, over 127 mile distance.
charging obispo.jpg

• Love
Reactions: rayluis1988
Man, if only they would release Convoy Mode already you wouldn't need a trailer and you would get full range, although you would need to fill both cars at each stop. Of course you'd also need to keep your race tires inside the car and swap when you arrive... Might as well just drive the Model S at that point, guess Convoy wouldn't be so cool after all

• Funny
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I used this site yesterday morning. It was very strange. They have 12 stalls, with 12 parking posts on both sides (24 spots). What they did, was place a plexiglass barrier on one side of each stall, alternating sides every other stall. In order to charge, you have to park on the correct side. So really, there are six spots on each side, with an empty space in between each car. A particular stall is only available to one side. Without the plexiglass barrier, 12 cars can park on just one side. That is really nice for lots of space between stalls, though I fail to see the need for this, as there is sufficient space for 12 cars to park next to each other on one side or the other. What make it more strange, is that there is no way to know which side to park on for a particular spot, until you get out and look. The plexiglass is very clear, and you cannot see which side it is placed from within your car. When I arrived, I parked in the wrong stall, and had to move over one spot. When the next two cars arrived, they both also had to move their cars. There is a 50:50 chance of getting it right, and all 3 of use blew it. If they would stripe off the incorrect stall, or turn the Tesla light off on that side, that would help.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricCyclist
I used this site yesterday morning. It was very strange. They have 12 stalls, with 12 parking posts on both sides (24 spots). What they did, was place a plexiglass barrier on one side of each stall, alternating sides every other stall. In order to charge, you have to park on the correct side. So really, there are six spots on each side, with an empty space in between each car. A particular stall is only available to one side. Without the plexiglass barrier, 12 cars can park on just one side. That is really nice for lots of space between stalls, though I fail to see the need for this, as there is sufficient space for 12 cars to park next to each other on one side or the other. What make it more strange, is that there is no way to know which side to park on for a particular spot, until you get out and look. The plexiglass is very clear, and you cannot see which side it is placed from within your car. When I arrived, I parked in the wrong stall, and had to move over one spot. When the next two cars arrived, they both also had to move their cars. There is a 50:50 chance of getting it right, and all 3 of use blew it. If they would stripe off the incorrect stall, or turn the Tesla light off on that side, that would help.
That is quite the odd install for sure. I think striping the ground where EVs should be going would be easy enough.

Maybe because it gets so windy there? So wind doesn’t just blow car doors open or closed? It can easily blow 60-90 mph in Mojave

I stopped by again yesterday, and got a better look during the daytime. The plexiglass barriers do not alternate as I said. Rather, the are set as follows, furtherest from the road to closest:
6 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right

Therefore, there are only 2 stalls on the left side. There is a Tesla sign that lines up facing each proper stall that I didn’t see last time. However, one of them faces the wrong direction.

I am sure they wanted to save many parking spots for the Weinerschnetzil, which otherwise has no good parking, but have no idea why that had to follow such a weird pattern.

Reactions: McManX
I stopped by again yesterday, and got a better look during the daytime. The plexiglass barriers do not alternate as I said. Rather, the are set as follows, furtherest from the road to closest:
6 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right

Therefore, there are only 2 stalls on the left side. There is a Tesla sign that lines up facing each proper stall that I didn’t see last time. However, one of them faces the wrong direction.

I am sure they wanted to save many parking spots for the Weinerschnetzil, which otherwise has no good parking, but have no idea why that had to follow such a weird pattern.
And, of course when you navigate to this location, the navigation will inform you of this weird array so that when you attempt to plug in, you are on the correct side. Just like all the other conveniences that Tesla navigation affords us. :rolleyes:

6 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right
1 on the left
2 on the right

I wonder if they were all supposed to be on the same side, but some were installed facing incorrectly? Having eight and two seems too weird to be intentional. Anything different about the two on the left, or the places with gaps on the right? ADA stalls need extra space between them, and could result in some spaces being placed on the "far side" to make room.

Last edited: