Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to drive back from Mammoth to LA today. Last night, I saw 3 other Teslas parked in the same lot as where I am staying. All Model 3's. I have only twice in the last few years seen 1 other Tesla in my lot. I was thinking about getting a few turns in this morning and leaving by 11. Now, I may want to blow out of here earlier to avoid the potential log jams, both in Lone Pine and Mojave. I may have sufficient juice to make it to Inyokern, where I can get a large enough charge to make it home (I have too much range to top off in Mammoth as the charge rate will be slow).

I am hoping others, besides myself, have reported the broken stalls to Mojave. It is inexcusable that these have been broken for so long, especially since 3A appears to be just a broken handle.

Reactions: McManX
I am hoping others, besides myself, have reported the broken stalls to Mojave. It is inexcusable that these have been broken for so long, especially since 3A appears to be just a broken handle.

I have been told (note passive voice) that Tesla has one Supercharger dude to service all the Superchargers on the West Coast. Between commissioning new sites and repairing or maintaining old ones, it comes as no surprise to me that the outliers get pushed way down the list for repair. Granted, skiers will use these sites a lot on weekends, but I would guess that midweek usage is pretty lean this time of year.

I’m at Mojave now. I left Lone Pine with every stall taken and 1 car waiting. I intentionally bolted as soon as I had a comfortable safety margin, not just to free a space, but to beat the others to Mojave ;)
Along the way, I saw something interesting: the Nav said that 5/6 or 6/6 stalls were in use, though 2 are still down. Previously, it said 4/6 were in use when all working stalls were taken. I was hoping that was a sign that they fixed the stalls, but alas, I was wrong.

I would like to addend my post above:
It appears that Tesla has indeed updated the Nav to reflect that the 2 stalls are out. While 3 of us were charging, the Nav said that there was only 1 stall available, which would be accurate.

Please, for those that visit this location, call and complain. The squeaky wheel gets greased.

I have been told (note passive voice) that Tesla has one Supercharger dude to service all the Superchargers on the West Coast.
Nope, I've seen and talked to the repair guys and both the Burbank, Burbank SC and Harris Ranch and most of the time they are contractors or 3rd party electrical companies hired by Tesla to do the maint.

When I saw this kinda "shady" looking dude walking around the cabinets I got out of the car and walked up to him and asked what was up, and then he told me he was there to replaced the handles/cables. He said his other buddy was down in Culver City swapping out a bunch.

Watched him do 2 stalls in amazing time. Pretty cool but Tesla has 3rd party contractors doing to cable maint just like the SpC installs.

• Informative
Nope, I've seen and talked to the repair guys and both the Burbank, Burbank SC and Harris Ranch and most of the time they are contractors or 3rd party electrical companies hired by Tesla to do the maint.

When I saw this kinda "shady" looking dude walking around the cabinets I got out of the car and walked up to him and asked what was up, and then he told me he was there to replaced the handles/cables. He said his other buddy was down in Culver City swapping out a bunch.

Watched him do 2 stalls in amazing time. Pretty cool but Tesla has 3rd party contractors doing to cable maint just like the SpC installs.
This makes more sense, why pay for traveling expenses for 1 person when you can just hire local or regional contractor

Did he specifically tell you he was a 3rd party contractor or are you just assuming that?

I've run into supercharger maintenance guys a few times in other parts of the country and they have all been Tesla employees. They have all been dressed in plain clothes and sometimes they are not even driving a Tesla. I ran into one guy late at night at the Eau Claire supercharger and he had some type of ICE SUV and was tinkering around in the enclosure. This was around the time when a lot of the CA superchargers were getting stripped for parts by vandals/thieves. He ended up being a really nice guy, but at first I definitely thought he might be up to no good. In fact, I briefly considered high tailing it out of there and calling the cops lol.

Anyways it would surprise me if Tesla hires 3rd parties in a place like CA with such high supercharger density. Doesn't make sense that they'd be paying their own employees to go to rural PA and WI, but then hiring 3rd parties in CA, but I guess they could have changed their strategy recently for some reason.

He pulled up in his work van ( with Joe blow electrical company logo on the side)... he's a independent worker/owner. He said Tesla hires them out. If you see or watch these new SpC installs that all they do is have 3rd party electrical companies install the sites.

Anyways, that's all.. the idea of 1 person maintaining the west coast would be absurd. You need that just for the San Fernando Valley alone! LOL

Tesla has Mojave earmarked for another supercharger, though likely an expansion of the current site. I have searched Kern County for any records and the only hits I got were for the original construction of this site, and the Buttonwillow and Bakersfield sites from a few years ago. Nothing about Mojave. Too bad. 6 stalls is inadequate for this location. Another 6 would be perfect.

Tesla should lease that Mexican restaurant location right in front of the Superchargers and turn it into a 24/7 lounge like Kettleman City. Maybe only staff it during daylight hours, Tesla only access, WiFi, vending, restrooms, play area for kids.

Reactions: miimura