Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montecito, CA (Rosewood Miramar, LIVE 4 Sep 2021, 8 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 50-60 posts in this thread were moved from a different thread on the subject of Santa Barbara-area Superchargers.

Santa Barbara would be a nice stop ... any updates on Supercharger permits/plans there ?
Most likely it will be at the Rosewood Miramar Beach hotel in Montecito. It is a Caruso property which hosts the Superchargers in some other nearby locations such as the Westlake Promenade in Thousand Oaks, the Americana at Grand in Glendale, and the under-permit The Commons in Calabasas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: goldengate
Since the Miramar is opening next week, you would think they would have made a SC part of the original construction. Or not. But it's good speculation. I'm amazed that Santa Barbara wasn't one of the first locations for the SC given the presumed high-density of Teslas. I'm presuming this because of the concentration of wealthy people there. I'm going to be in Santa Barbara next week and will have to figure out how to get a nice charge so I can return home.

Looks like superchargers are indeed coming to the Miramar. Their permit application is in review, here's the details:

MIRAMAR ACQUISITION ELECT
1200A 3P4W ELECTRICAL SERVICE, (4) TESLA SUPERCHARGING CABINETS, (8) TESLA CHARGING STATIONS, (1) 1200A SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY AND (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER LOCATED IN THE WEST VALET PARKING LOT OF THE ROSEWOOD MIRAMAR HOTEL

Looks like 8 stalls, correct? Any other information we can gain from the permit application details? Is this v2 or v3? I can't link directly to the permit application due to the weird website, but go here: Permit Status Lookup - Citizens Access. In the search with the green magnifying glass (the second search bar on the page), search for Tesla. The permit was submitted 6/20/19.

Looks like superchargers are indeed coming to the Miramar. Their permit application is in review, here's the details:

1200A 3P4W ELECTRICAL SERVICE, (4) TESLA SUPERCHARGING CABINETS, (8) TESLA CHARGING STATIONS, (1) 1200A SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY AND (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER LOCATED IN THE WEST VALET PARKING LOT OF THE ROSEWOOD MIRAMAR HOTEL

Looks like 8 stalls, correct? Any other information we can gain from the permit application details? Is this v2 or v3? I can't link directly to the permit application due to the weird website, but go here: Permit Status Lookup - Citizens Access. In the search with the green magnifying glass (the second search bar on the page), search for Tesla. The permit was submitted 6/20/19.

Hmm "no results"

Whoa, $795 a night. That's definitely going to keep us Riff Raff away. The Motel 6 is only $29.99!

Funny thing, the Amtrak train tracks go right past the resort on the Ocean side. The resort must be on the good side of the tracks...

RT

Whoa, $795 a night. That's definitely going to keep us Riff Raff away. The Motel 6 is only $29.99!

Funny thing, the Amtrak train tracks go right past the resort on the Ocean side. The resort must be on the good side of the tracks...

RT
The hotel and view there are breathtaking. By the looks of the description of the rooms and the satelilte map their isn't another side of the tracks they are beach side bungalows. Motel 6 in the area are not quite 29.99 closest and cheapest would be carpenteria.
Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North Hotel in Carpinteria CA ($109+) | Motel6.com

Last edited:
Lloyd reported Supercharger expected to open in 6 months #30

I was told that the supercharger in that location was delayed because the "grid" in that part of Santa Barbara was oversubscribed already. It took some time to upgrade the service to that area of Santa Barbara, not just the Tesla store. I'm glad to hear that this plan is finally progressing.

Note that for me for the magnifying glass doesn't go green until I've typed in a search value.

Montecito, CA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-101
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-101:
To: Buellton, CA - 49.4 miles
Diversion: 2.1 miles
From: Thousand Oaks - East Thousand Oaks Blvd, CA - 53.4 miles
To: San Luis Obispo, CA - 110.5 miles

More density along US-101, finally replacing the Santa Barbara, CA site that never was.

Given that the permit application explicitly mentions that the superchargers would be going in the valet parking lot, people should be prepared for the possibility/likelihood that the superchargers may only be accessible via the hotel's valet service--similar to the Downtown LA -- Francisco St. location. And, that the valet service may entail a considerable charge. From checking the hotel's listing online (via Travelocity), they have the valet listed as a $50/night fee for guests of the hotel. Likely it wouldn't be that high for people just stopping by for a meal/drinks/visit and now soon for charging, but may still be what most would consider quite steep. Of course, it's also possible that the hotel will waive or reduce it for people showing up to charge. I just wouldn't expect it. Time will tell.

That sucks. Having checked out this hotel (it's on both sides of the tracks) and the parking lot a few months ago based on speculation in this thread earlier, I can tell you that you will have to drive right past the valet guys to get to the location I assume is the supercharger (on the south side of the property). Santa Barbara desperately needs a huge SC, as does the 101 corridor north. Hoping we see another pop up soon....

Valet may reduce the numbers. If it’s free, you likely will never get near them anyway. 8 Supercharger stations with hundreds in the local area (3 years ago there was an new article suggesting there were over 200 then), and hundreds more traveling to or thru every day, I imagine there will be line ups.

I often see a Tesla waiting while another is charging at a Goleta public L2 station... I am less that two miles from Trader Joe’s... when I drive over, often see 5 or more Tesla’s on the way.... I was hoping the new Target by stork and Hollister would include a bank of them....

Reactions: goldengate