Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Monterey, CA (Del Monte Center, LIVE 10 Aug 2017, 10 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 pm on a Monday night and there is only 1 stall available... and the other supercharger is totally full. I'm guessing this is now a highly-congested station? I am looking at a trip to Carmel and already have charging anxiety based on the lack of supercharger infrastructure down there. Looks like another area that could use some expansion...

10 pm on a Monday night and there is only 1 stall available... and the other supercharger is totally full. I'm guessing this is now a highly-congested station? I am looking at a trip to Carmel and already have charging anxiety based on the lack of supercharger infrastructure down there. Looks like another area that could use some expansion...
I dunno.... "down there" has Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Salinas, Monterey (2 locations live), and Big Sur. And if staying in town - over 50 L2's.
Waiting for this 3rd Monterey location to open???

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve and bmah
The L2's I have found on plugshare etc are all in paid parking structures... so you pay for charge plus parking. Am I missing something?
When I'm on a few days away I don't want to deal with L2's unless they are at my hotel... otherwise I'm wasting time coordinating parking and shopping.
My main point was and continues to be that if chargers are full at 10 pm on a Monday then I imagine weekends are very challenging and it's time to further expand capacity there given it's a major tourist destination in California.

Sand 1.jpg
Sand 2.png
Today... no sign of transformer (unless over by Starbux. But people there said will be awhile - they may repave and paint lines

I've been through here several times in the past couple of months and it has been consistently busy. But, I have only once waited 10 minutes to get a stall. It feels like it is operating at just below capacity, so I wouldn't worry about being able to charge. Plenty of good places to eat while you are charging too.

They installed several portable temporary urban superchargers a few months ago, and that was great while it lasted, but they later removed them.

Reactions: goldengate
I've been through here several times in the past couple of months and it has been consistently busy. But, I have only once waited 10 minutes to get a stall. It feels like it is operating at just below capacity, so I wouldn't worry about being able to charge. Plenty of good places to eat while you are charging too.

They installed several portable temporary urban superchargers a few months ago, and that was great while it lasted, but they later removed them.
Thank you! That is very helpful. It appears from the Nav map that the chargers are less busy during the day and more busy after work hours. I plan to go to Big Sur so will check out the superchargers there too.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
You forgot the Tesla SC in Seaside
No... I mentioned 2 in Monterey - meaning the Sand City (where the Service Center is) one also. I apologize as we often consider Monterey as the Peninsula. Of course Sand City is hit and miss as it is a Service Center and since the Monterey one was built, they kind of discourage use (for good reason) during operating hours.

This is great news, but given how busy this site is, I wonder why they are only adding 4 vs. 8? Transformer capacity? When I stay in Carmel-by-the-sea this is the most convenient supercharger though I usually try to use Sand City on the way down.

This is great news, but given how busy this site is, I wonder why they are only adding 4 vs. 8? Transformer capacity? When I stay in Carmel-by-the-sea this is the most convenient supercharger though I usually try to use Sand City on the way down.
They’re pretty much at the max since it’s a 1000 kVA transformer there. The original 10 V2 stalls pull about 750 kW and the additional 4 V3s about 350 kW. So that’s 1100 kW which means it’s maxed out.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate