Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Monterey, CA (Del Monte Center, LIVE 10 Aug 2017, 10 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be lit up soon. All hardware looks to be installed. Team was tight lipped on timing but shouldnt be long.
IMG_9473.JPG
IMG_9474.JPG
IMG_9475.JPG

Reactions: bmah and nikeykid
It's less than 5 miles from the Tesla dealer in Monterey that has super chargers too. You'll be fine.

[Rant]
I was disappointed how many people pulled into that dealership to supercharge on the way to work. I saw it the night I spent in line for the Model 3 last year. Jeez, just charge at home. Or at work, Apple gave me a free ChargePoint account for all the chargers on all the Apple Campuses. If your employer doesn't pay for charging it's time to leave or lobby for change.
[/Rant]

-Randy

Reactions: ChargePoint
Monterey, CA

Interstates: None
US Numbered Highways: None

Gilroy, CA (CA-1,CA-156,US-101,): 43.0 miles
Seaside, CA (CA-1): 5.0 miles in 11 minutes
Kettleman City, CA (CA-68,US-101,CA-198,CA-33,I-5,CA-41): 148 miles
Atascadero, CA (CA-68,US-101): 125 miles

It's less than 5 miles from the Tesla dealer in Monterey that has super chargers too. You'll be fine.

[Rant]
I was disappointed how many people pulled into that dealership to supercharge on the way to work. I saw it the night I spent in line for the Model 3 last year. Jeez, just charge at home. Or at work, Apple gave me a free ChargePoint account for all the chargers on all the Apple Campuses. If your employer doesn't pay for charging it's time to leave or lobby for change.
[/Rant]

-Randy
As long as you're on a rant, I'll give you my rant and say Tesla does not have dealerships. It has stores.

• Funny
Reactions: TMobe and bxr140
Monterey, CA

Interstates: None
US Numbered Highways: None

Gilroy, CA (CA-1,CA-156,US-101,): 43.0 miles
Seaside, CA (CA-1): 5.0 miles in 11 minutes
Kettleman City, CA (CA-68,US-101,CA-198,CA-33,I-5,CA-41): 148 miles
Atascadero, CA (CA-68,US-101): 125 miles

Nice work! But the route to Kettleman City via SR198 east of San Lucas is a pretty but very slow drive. Lots of twists and turns. Did your mapping take you along Jayne Avenue east of Coalinga on the way to Interstate 5? Or did it route you south on SR33 to Reef City, then north on SR41?

Reactions: Ulmo
In California they are legally dealerships with dealership licenses.
That's only because the auto dealer cartel set up the legal and regulatory process and Tesla had to fit into that structure. The auto dealer cartel wants you to think "dealership" means "the place that sells cars", but the plain English use of the word dealership means it sells someone else's product. A Tesla store that sells Tesla cars is not a "dealer" no matter what California law says.

That's only because the auto dealer cartel set up the legal and regulatory process and Tesla had to fit into that structure. The auto dealer cartel wants you to think "dealership" means "the place that sells cars", but the plain English use of the word dealership means it sells someone else's product. A Tesla store that sells Tesla cars is not a "dealer" no matter what California law says.

I don't think the plain english use of dealership means it sells somebody else product at all. The definition of dealership is "an establishment authorized to buy and sell specific goods, especially motor vehicles." What you're thinking of is Franchised Dealerships, of which Tesla has none, and the laws they are having to try and fit into are the stupid laws in other states that don't allow them to run their own dealerships. Tesla definitely has what I would call stores, located in shopping malls (like Tesla Santana Row), but walk onto the car lot at Tesla Sunnyvale and it's indistinguishable in form or function from any of the other dealerships along the auto row, it's just owned by Tesla.

I see.

It's a little unclear the intent/context/relevance of the post.

Yours isn't the first such comment. I'll prefix it wiith something like "Along" in future posts.

My posts are really based on my focus of how well Tesla's network allows long-distance travel, with a focus on whether drivers can take fastest routes. One part covers travel along individual Interstates and then the "neighbors" part is using a simplified method of Supercharger-to-Supercharger mapping to see how well it covers fastest routes.

Nice work! But the route to Kettleman City via SR198 east of San Lucas is a pretty but very slow drive. Lots of twists and turns. Did your mapping take you along Jayne Avenue east of Coalinga on the way to Interstate 5? Or did it route you south on SR33 to Reef City, then north on SR41?

It's just Google's mapping, and it was Jayne Ave to I-5 and then CA-41 to get to the Supercharger.
Google thinks that it's the fastest possible route.

I see.

It's a little unclear the intent/context/relevance of the post.

I cannot speak for Money. But I sensed that his numerous postings to the various Supercharger sites that are under construction or recently opened are to inform those of us who are not familiar with the distances from the new sites to existing sites.

Your profile says that you are in the Bay Area. Sure, this information has no relevance to you. But it may provide some sort of information to others who are not from the immediate area who will be visiting Monterey or the Bay Area in the future. Perhaps Money's information will allow others to take a day trip to Monterey since it is so close to Gilroy.

We all know that Tesla's trip planning information in the car is pretty poor. We cannot plan side trips or detours.

Reactions: Ulmo and jrreno
Yours isn't the first such comment. I'll prefix it wiith something like "Along" in future posts.

My posts are really based on my focus of how well Tesla's network allows long-distance travel, with a focus on whether drivers can take fastest routes. One part covers travel along individual Interstates and then the "neighbors" part is using a simplified method of Supercharger-to-Supercharger mapping to see how well it covers fastest routes.

Of course it doesn't always fit perfectly. For instance, this supercharger (along with the one in Seaside, I see this as sort of an expansion of that one) allows travel along Highway 1 to the Atascadero supercharger. Not the fastest route, but a very popular route (if it wasn't closed right now).

Of course it doesn't always fit perfectly. For instance, this supercharger (along with the one in Seaside, I see this as sort of an expansion of that one) allows travel along Highway 1 to the Atascadero supercharger. Not the fastest route, but a very popular route (if it wasn't closed right now).

The PCH might be a main route for travel within California, but that still doesn't make it a "US numbered highway" as specified in his post.

Understood, and good idea; Quantity the information you're presenting.

Right now it's a bit like looking at raw data with arbitrary deliniations.

Certainly distance to adjacent superchargers is interesting, though somewhat useless in the context of an internet post hidden in a specific thread. The route to get there...even less useful. There's too many variables to make the route numbers helpful.

I applaud your ambition to provide information to the forum. I encourage you to investigate a more useful method and content of delivery.