Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montgomery, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in New Orleans and will drive back to Atlanta tomorrow. This SC would be a huge help. I could avoid Greenville and Auburn, two of my least favorite SC's. I checked in my car this morning and Montgomery was shown with 12 stations, 1 in use and 11 available. Before I take a chance and skip Greenville, I would love to see something here from boots on the ground. Is anyone planning to visit the site today? Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
A Montgomery, AL supercharger has been promised for over a year on Tesla's website.....but rumor has it that it will be located in the back of a brand new "Z" gas station on AL-110 (chantilly parkway) that sits about 200 yards from the Hotel Classio (10095 Chantilly Parkway). The gas station has blindingly green neon lights.
Yep the Montgomery Supercharger is definitely online. Charging there right now. It’s in the Target parking lot.

Charged here this weekend. No one was there while I was there. The only fast lunch nearby that I saw was at Chipotle across the parking lot. There are several sit down restaurants nearby. Travelling southbound on 85, Tesla nav had me get off and travel for a while down a service road. I think I might be faster to go to the next exit and double back.

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
Came through Montgomery again on Sunday. There were 6 cars charging. I feel like this station is going to be a preferred destination for weekend holiday traffic. Even for traffic passing through on I-65 that doesn't want to divert, this location should free up space in Greenville.

The adjacent Target has a small grocery section in the back, more than just snack food. Not as much as a Super Wal-Mart, but there are a few healthy choices.

I don't know Montgomery other than passing through. The area around the charger is busy, feels like North Point Mall in metro Atlanta. Coming from the north, Tesla nav directs you to exit 11 and then travel parallel to I-65 on Eastchase Pkwy. The charger is somewhat closer to exit 9. Coming from the south, exit 9 has a divided lane that isn't obvious. If you exit in the rightmost lane, you won't be able to turn left on Eastchase Pkwy. But you can continue to the next intersection, Berryhill Rd, and loop around the back of the development and turn right into the Target parking lot, before you get back to Eastchase Pkwy. This was the fastest way when I tried it.

My peak was around 200 the first time when the site was empty, and somewhat slower the second trip when there were other cars there. The charge rate dropped quickly after a minute, as usual. It took 33 minutes to go 30% to 92%, not great but not terrible.

PXL_20211007_184303896.jpg

Reactions: gmsc
You only get 250 kW at a very narrow window, if at all. See 2021 M3 LR V3 SC graph above

... and you have to use the Tesla in-car nav system to navigate to the SC site, so that the car knows to pre-condition the pack before you get there.

This is a better illustration of the limited time that you get 250 kW. This is from 2.5 years ago; you can google for more recent examples, but it hasn't changed much.

There's a Plugshare checkin on last Thursday where someone filled in "250 kW" as the power they got, but newbies often misunderstand that numeric field and think it's for the capability of the station. It's not -- it's for what peak you actually got.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
My peak was around 200 the first time when the site was empty, and somewhat slower the second trip when there were other cars there. The charge rate dropped quickly after a minute, as usual. It took 33 minutes to go 30% to 92%, not great but not terrible.

View attachment 720342
We were getting around 200 kW when we stopped there, but we stopped earlier than we should have to take advantage of the max rate. We could have made it to Greenville, but we wanted to stop to check it out. It’s in a busy shopping center so it’s a little out of the way if you’re traveling down I65.

This one was the first V3 I’ve ever been to so I was a little confused that the stalls will still labeled A-D. I thought V3’s didn’t have the letters after the stall numbers, but obviously getting around 200 kW, it just has to be the case.

Attachments

• EB8A6349-3FA9-4EF2-9B0C-D22CE7D85E84.jpeg
    EB8A6349-3FA9-4EF2-9B0C-D22CE7D85E84.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 59
We were getting around 200 kW when we stopped there, but we stopped earlier than we should have to take advantage of the max rate. We could have made it to Greenville, but we wanted to stop to check it out. It’s in a busy shopping center so it’s a little out of the way if you’re traveling down I65.

This one was the first V3 I’ve ever been to so I was a little confused that the stalls will still labeled A-D. I thought V3’s didn’t have the letters after the stall numbers, but obviously getting around 200 kW, it just has to be the case.
V3 superchargers have 4 stalls per cabinet, so they generally get lettered A-D. I've seen some that lack the labels, though.