Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montreal, QC - Cote Vertu Blvd.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to Ikea earlier today and stopped by to see the progress.

Looks like the only change from yesterday is that the lines are painted. Still no transformer on the pad.
b6lfO2n.jpg

No clue what the other equipment is for

Close up :

8r9BHsx.jpg

IfOrqpk.jpg

rest of the pictures I took : Place Vertu Supercharger

The only thing that is missing compared to existing superchargers is the wooden enclosure around the high-voltage Tesla SC cabinets.

If they are doing this, it should not take very long... However there is really not much room on that central pedestal between the cabinets and red pillars.

Hello,

I passed by the site today and asked the 2 electricians on site. They told me that they were mostly done with everything and that it was Hydro-Quebec that needed to hook things up now. I saw them working on the transformer again today. They told me that it would take 2 weeks for Hydro-Quebec to do their thing. I'm hoping this is wrong as I was told something similar for Magog but it seems to be moving along quicker.

Going to Sherbrooke tomorrow so I'll see about that site then. For Montreal, I am hoping that it will be up prior to the Grand Prix, which would make a lot of sense.

Regards,

Bertrand

Hello,

I passed by the site today and asked the 2 electricians on site. They told me that they were mostly done with everything and that it was Hydro-Quebec that needed to hook things up now. I saw them working on the transformer again today. They told me that it would take 2 weeks for Hydro-Quebec to do their thing. I'm hoping this is wrong as I was told something similar for Magog but it seems to be moving along quicker.

Going to Sherbrooke tomorrow so I'll see about that site then. For Montreal, I am hoping that it will be up prior to the Grand Prix, which would make a lot of sense.

Regards,

Bertrand
Good point about the Grand Prix but I really don't think Hydro Quebec cares about that. I won't be surprised if it takes two weeks.

Good point about the Grand Prix but I really don't think Hydro Quebec cares about that. I won't be surprised if it takes two weeks.

Montreal is hosting an important EV trade show, EVS29, starting June 19th. It will look bad if Quebec still only has 1.5 Supercharger sites in the entire province by then. The city and province are major sponsors of EVS29 and of course H-Q is province-owned. This should be an impetus to have H-Q fast-track things.

On the other hand, there may be a competition with NYSEG in Plattsburgh to see who can take longer to hook up sites. We could then be looking at a 6-8 week wait here and in Magog. While I don't think it will be that bad, 2-4 weeks wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: Jaff and Buzzz
I just went to the site. There were three workers there hooking things up (see pics). I asked about ETA, and they told me they're mostly done, and that after them is H-Q (Hydro Quebec). The guy I talked to said that "pendant les prochaines 2 semaines" - so within the next 2 weeks.... let's hope it gets up and running soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20160607_133746.jpg
    IMG_20160607_133746.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20160607_133753.jpg
    IMG_20160607_133753.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
I'm personally really confused at how you actually park to charge...

It basically in a gas station configuration style...

I wonder if it to accommodate tow hitch setup. Or maybe this configuration reduce the risk of being ICEd...

Parking going to be hard and I feel those stall are going to be hit.

Maybe the space are much larger than the picture tell though.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I agree with you. I'm still confused as to how the traffic will occur in that particular corner. I was trying to see if I could test it out today but it's still all fenced off. I will pass again in a couple of weeks to see.

Hi,

Yes, the configuration is quite different and no, there is not that much space. It is slightly larger than standard but not much so tight between the chargers.

The electricians a fairly consistant as they told Anibal2 the same thing they told me yesterday... So, we'll see. Still rooting for this week in prep for the Grand Prix. There should be an appreciable number of ON Teslas this weekend.

Regards,

Bertrand

Montreal is hosting an important EV trade show, EVS29, starting June 19th. It will look bad if Quebec still only has 1.5 Supercharger sites in the entire province by then. The city and province are major sponsors of EVS29 and of course H-Q is province-owned. This should be an impetus to have H-Q fast-track things.

On the other hand, there may be a competition with NYSEG in Plattsburgh to see who can take longer to hook up sites. We could then be looking at a 6-8 week wait here and in Magog. While I don't think it will be that bad, 2-4 weeks wouldn't surprise me.

@RiverBrick : I don't quite understand why this would have anything to do with having Tesla Superchargers. My understanding is that Tesla is the responsible entity to decide where they put SCs, not the provinces or states. I am not aware of our government (Federal or Provincial) being in talks with Tesla to ensure having SCs in Quebec.

To continue my "rant" from a few posts ago, the government should be responsible for ensuring adequate charging spots for EVs. I say this as Hydro-Quebec is a Provincially owned entity and have a monopoly on electricity. We're very fortunate to have Tesla put in such a strong infrastructure when the chargers Hydro puts in are wholly inadequate for the majority of EVs out there... I'll get off my soap box now.

Regards,

Bertrand

@RiverBrick : I don't quite understand why this would have anything to do with having Tesla Superchargers. My understanding is that Tesla is the responsible entity to decide where they put SCs, not the provinces or states.

When Tesla Motors decides between competing locations for Superchargers, many factors come into play. If other factors are equal, they are going to choose a location where there isn't excessive regulation and the local utility cooperates swiftly amd quickly.

The wait-time for a Hydro-Quebec hookup can be two months. Even if it is only 3 weeks this time, that may be slower than for most Ontario electricity providers, so when TM looks for a spot in the Ottawa/Gatineau area, which side of the border do you think they'll favor? Ditto for when they realize somewhere between Ottawa and Montreal is needed. Cassellman will start with a leg up over Montebello.

Anyway, at Place Vertu they may be waiting on another monopolistic entity on top of Hydro-Quebec! Commission des services électriques de Montréal | Banque d'information 311 may have to permit and supervise H-Q's work. And of course, being allowed to start construction on the project to begin with was complicated by needing permits from both the city AND the St-Laurent neighborhood.

At EVS29, Quebec will be trying to attract EV industry business. Not appearing favorable to private EV projects like Superchargers is not good for that.

Reactions: Jaff
Good morning, I stopped today and saw 3 Hydro-Quebec trucks, the were connecting the transformers to the superchargers, speaking to one of the technician I was told that the only thing left afterward would be the connection to the grid but they will need to shut down part of the shopping mall or the Canadian Tire store for the final connection which will happen outside business hours but he had no clue as if when this will be done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg