Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Monument, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

According to the Town of Monument planning department, this Supercharger will be built at the Kum & Go (17970 Knollwood Dr).

I haven’t received much more info other than the location, but based on that I would assume 8 stalls will be the maximum we see here. Will add on Supercharge Info.

Ummm, I live in Colorado Springs. The parking garage is not ideal BUT: It snows here (elevation 6200 feet) and this supercharger is NEVER blocked with snow that has been pushed here from across the parking lot. It is ALWAYS accessible in the winter. I know, it costs $1 to get in on the weekends. Sometimes the damn card reader or bill receptor does not work. Sheesh.

My friends have been blocked from charging in both Trinidad and Silverthorne by giant piles of snow. Mac

No definitive signs of construction but there are some marked utilities.
DBF3D37A-E019-4A8F-AAF5-175B6EC1CD6A.jpeg
EC956D4F-2F16-433F-BAEB-57DC72DBE4B0.jpeg
645CD7BE-7A1A-4ADF-9209-48F93829B2B9.jpeg

This is by my house. No work is being done today.

IMO, this is a bad location, we will be ICEd often and this is where they push the snow. They should have built out the parking lot at the liquor store next door and installed them there. But at least there will be a charger closer than 30 minutes from me.

This is by my house. No work is being done today.

IMO, this is a bad location, we will be ICEd often and this is where they push the snow. They should have built out the parking lot at the liquor store next door and installed them there. But at least there will be a charger closer than 30 minutes from me.
If you read this link concerning the new Silverthorne Kum & Go Supercharger, they mention training Kum & Go management in an effort to reduce ICEing: https://www.silverthorne.org/home/showpublisheddocument?id=10593

At the Silverthorne meeting, Jordan Rhyne (developer for the project) stated:
Yeah, we have, we have a special term for that at Tesla called ICE-ing, which stands for Internal Combustion Engine cars parking in the charging area. So we work with Kum and Go and we monitor this area with them. When we open a new site, we train their store managers and employees to keep an eye out for that. In general, during off peak times, it's not too much of an issue if a non-Tesla vehicle parks in 1 or 2 for those stalls while they're doing the same thing, a 3 to 5 to 10 minute visit and they’re back out. We do put signs up on the charging stalls that indicate they’re for electric vehicle charging. If we do have issues with people parking or employees parking there or somebody parking a trailer there regularly, we've looked at options like painting the parking stalls, but typically not to go much beyond that. In general, people are starting to become more familiar with these stalls, and know what they are. If we have an issue we can work with our site hosts to come up with a solution, which in this case is Kum and Go.
Also, Colorado enacted a new law in 2019 that makes ICEing illegal with a fine of up to $350, if the spots are properly identified. I haven't seen the necessary signage at any Colorado Tesla Superchargers so far but hopefully they will start installing them as a deterrent to ICE vehicles blocking the stalls.

When the Kremmling Kum & Go added Superchargers last year, we saw several spots ICEd there on multiple occasions but I haven't been back recently so I don't know if it is still a problem. Hopefully Kum & Go will ensure the spots are used for EV charging and have the snow deposited elsewhere.

Fears of superchargers being ICEd are greatly exaggerated. People have talked about this ever since I joined this forum in 2016 (and most certainly before!), but major ICEing problems at superchargers have never really materialized and there are obviously many more superchargers and many more Teslas on the road now. Generally speaking, dead superchargers get ICEd some, but it doesn't usually matter because not many cars are needing to charge. Busy superchargers police themselves. No ICE driver is going to try to squeeze in and ICE the last spot with other Teslas waiting to charge unless he is a complete psychopath.

Now, L2s at hotels late at night... there's a real ICEing problem. Even the handicapped spots get ICEd late at night at busy hotels. Usually there are empty spots on the other side of the hotel too. It's maddening.