Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moonee Ponds, Vic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie SR+ owner here - still waiting for my home charger install so I stopped by at Moonee ponds last night after a drive. It seems that the supercharger connectors won’t plug into the 3 as the connector is slightly different, with the only option being the 16a wall connector off to the side (which would take 3 hours to charge to 80%).

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything in terms of using the supercharger - I assume they need some sort of upgrade to the plugs to be used with the M3?

Newbie SR+ owner here - still waiting for my home charger install so I stopped by at Moonee ponds last night after a drive. It seems that the supercharger connectors won’t plug into the 3 as the connector is slightly different, with the only option being the 16a wall connector off to the side (which would take 3 hours to charge to 80%).

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything in terms of using the supercharger - I assume they need some sort of upgrade to the plugs to be used with the M3?

You've tried the wrong cable. The superchargers have 2 cables. 1 is the original MS/MX cable and the other is a CCS2 cable that plugs into the Model 3.

You've tried the wrong cable. The superchargers have 2 cables. 1 is the original MS/MX cable and the other is a CCS2 cable that plugs into the Model 3.
Thanks, it was the CCS2 cable I was struggling with. The middle circular ring on the charger had a different configuration to the input socket on the car, specifically it looked like a circle with a triangle on top whereas the M3 just has a circular connector, hence it wouldn’t plug in.

It still sounds like you were trying the MS/MX type 2 cable. It has an extra platic section that prevents plugging into a normal type 2 socket. The CCS2 cables at MPS do plug into the M3. The CCS2 cable is the larger plug with the type 2 on top connected to the 2 DC charging pins on the bottom.

Ah, ok thank you. I was unable to actually ‘free’ the other cable from the supercharger to try it (I realise how lame that sounds just typing it!). Is it supposed to simply unhook / be able to be lifted out of the supercharger like the other one?

Ah, ok thank you. I was unable to actually ‘free’ the other cable from the supercharger to try it (I realise how lame that sounds just typing it!). Is it supposed to simply unhook / be able to be lifted out of the supercharger like the other one?

Yes, they're meant to be just lifted out but I have found several CCS2 supercharger cables are harder to remove.

Lately I've noticed they are closing the entry gates to the main Moonee Ponds Central carpark at around 7.30pm each night.

Tonight I managed to get in via the Hall St entry but then noticed that Mirvac have installed a barrier blocking off the ramp down to the lower level where the superchargers are. There is also a sign on the barrier saying that access to the Tesla chargers is temporarily closed.
MP Central Blocked.jpg

So beware anyone looking to charge at Moonee Ponds, it could be out of action for the current lockdown period.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and bradjc