Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moonee Ponds, Vic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Emailed MPC yesterday and got this response. All they can do is confirm that they're happening.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your message.

The rumours are true and we are currently in the process of installing the chargers.

We are still waiting for ETA on the superchargers so please keep an eye out for announcements on our Facebook page, website and e-newsletter.

Kind regards,

• Informative
Reactions: rohan_aus
Went down there today to have a peek. 6 stalls and looks like it’s almost ready. Just need to the chargers themselves and the electrical cabinets to go in.

Attachments

• 724E7E36-DBF5-4BCE-B6A8-19F1FEE5683C.jpeg
    724E7E36-DBF5-4BCE-B6A8-19F1FEE5683C.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 46761B9A-2C3A-41C4-B6C1-3A89A509E7E9.jpeg
    46761B9A-2C3A-41C4-B6C1-3A89A509E7E9.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 68F6E546-8FEF-44FD-8B63-E53A3075C466.jpeg
    68F6E546-8FEF-44FD-8B63-E53A3075C466.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 76319B64-0FBB-47D9-9171-02E766F6E368.jpeg
    76319B64-0FBB-47D9-9171-02E766F6E368.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 125
  • F61CAF79-2953-4CDA-8CEA-96B450492AE5.jpeg
    F61CAF79-2953-4CDA-8CEA-96B450492AE5.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 133
It's been as per the photos for a couple of weeks. There are also electrical submains run out in the overhead cable trays, ready to be dropped down and terminated. I expect there won't be much more to see until the superchargers and switchgear show up on site and the install can begin.

I'm curious about the supercharger positions and whether full superchargers will fit between the exiating car bays or if we get urban superchargers?

Reactions: bradjc
I'm still baffled by the location of these, not the easiest to find or access. I'm not ungrateful they're happening and am sure it't not easy to secure a location. But first time users should allow an extra 10 mins to hunt for them, especially if the shopping centre is busy waiting for people to get in and out of a park etc. Not an ideal quick charge and keep moving location.

At least the out of the way location will be less likely to get ICE'd. The carpark can get really busy at times but that very lowest level only fills up during extremely busy periods like Christmas.

Looking at some other basement carpark supercharger locations it appears the full superchargers do fit well between existing car parking bays. eg. this one in Shanghai:
EAVfgTTVAAADBdv.jpg

Went down there today to have a peek. 6 stalls and looks like it’s almost ready. Just need to the chargers themselves and the electrical cabinets to go in.
They've basically done exactly what was done at Broadway in Sydney, had existing Mirvac charging bay (same as the one pictured) then added superchargers adjacent in an obscure area of the carpark, it does prevent ICEing though, as the entire level is basically the carwash, handicap spaces, carshare spaces, charge bays and supercharger bays.

409126.jpg

Nothing new today. Notably, no CCS2 cables installed.

It’s so weird that brand new locations still under construction don’t get CCS2 cable installed and have to await a 2nd team to come sometime in the future, remove the panels etc and do it all over again.

Seems wasteful of time and resources. I can understand that happening a few months ago but that early period has now passed and really all new locations being built now SHOULD be getting CCS2 at the start.

It’s so weird that brand new locations still under construction don’t get CCS2 cable installed and have to await a 2nd team to come sometime in the future, remove the panels etc and do it all over again.

Seems wasteful of time and resources. I can understand that happening a few months ago but that early period has now passed and really all new locations being built now SHOULD be getting CCS2 at the start.
Most likely, the Supercharger equipment was shipped way in advance without CCS-2. There is some evidence at sites under construction in the States that they're waiting for the pedestal equipment. It is possible that they made a revision to the design and they're manufacturing more based on the new design now. The installations you're seeing in Australia now are based on equipment produced some months ago.

Dropped in today, Still not finished, one of the 2 Destination chargers there was ICEd.
Asked the management about the Supercharger time frame, was told 4-6 weeks.
Asked about ICEing, was told that they are short of parking and won't enforce any sort of limitations on ICE cars blocking the spots. I pointed out that this makes the charge points a bit of a waste of time. Total F&^s given were ZERO.

I have spoken to them before about the other spots getting ICE'd and got the same reply. So annoying that Tesla have chosen such a terrible place to place some chargers.

Agreed. It’s One thing to put some destination charges in a crap spot that they get iced. Having superchargers on the other hand in a shopping mall car park getting iced 99% of the time is super dumb as people will depend on these for longer distance journeys. Imagine having to stop there for hours waiting for a spot to charge to continue on your journey because a bunch of joe blow losers ICEd it.

Hopefully enough Tesla owners will get pissed off over the next 1-2 years there that management will get enough written complaints that something will be done about it. That’s the only way they’ll bother to listen.

Agreed. It’s One thing to put some destination charges in a crap spot that they get iced. Having superchargers on the other hand in a shopping mall car park getting iced 99% of the time is super dumb as people will depend on these for longer distance journeys. Imagine having to stop there for hours waiting for a spot to charge to continue on your journey because a bunch of joe blow losers ICEd it.

Hopefully enough Tesla owners will get pissed off over the next 1-2 years there that management will get enough written complaints that something will be done about it. That’s the only way they’ll bother to listen.
They're placed on the bottom level of parking and then some little dip down where it's never busy unless it's Christmas. I don't think ICEing will be a problem on the superchargers since they're quite obvious.

...also no CCS2 plugs for model 3
Someone posted a picture of Superchargers arriving at the shipping docks in Melbourne on the Facebook Model 3 page yesterday. They only had 1 cable on them.

So I suspect they make a bunch of them with the single cable because don't forget in the USA they only ever have 1 cable and that's probably where the bulk get installed. Then they come back after installation and retrofit them with CCS as well.

Not a great use of time and resources if you ask me as it would be far better to just have a team at the factory adding it prior to shipping rather than relying on contractors travelling long distances constantly to add more cables.